Whats so bad about 25" Ultrawide Monitors?

Jacob Canale

I just recently bought a LG 25UM58-P off Ncix.com because it was on sale for a good price, but I'm not sure if I should be regretting my decision due to large amounts of hate being thrown at 25" Ultrawide monitors. Personally, I think that some rich person who bought 3 34" ultrawides said that 25" ones are bad because they are too small, and everyone lese jumped on the bandwagon. Let me know what you think.

i dunno, id rather have that than my crappy 1400x900 screen. probably just the usual rich people thing. 

1 minute ago, magnumkobra said:

i dunno, id rather have that than my crappy 1400x900 screen. probably just the usual rich people thing. 

rip

Well, the main thing is that they are really small. The further you go away from 1:1 aspect ratio, the smaller overall size of the monitor is with same diagonal size. For example, 25" 4:3 monitor is a lot bigger than a 25" 16:9 and then the 25" 21:9 is even smaller. Just imagine that there can be a 25" diagonal in a 1mm x 25inch rectangle and eventually it just becomes a straight line as you change the proportions further away from 1:1

Just now, Illumination said:

Well, the main thing is that they are really small. The further you go away from 1:1 aspect ratio, the smaller overall size of the monitor is with same diagonal size. For example, 25" 4:3 monitor is a lot bigger than a 25" 16:9 and then the 25" 21:9 is even smaller. Just imagine that there can be a 25" diagonal in a 1mm x 25inch rectangle and eventually it just becomes a straight line as you change the proportions further away from 1:1

I'm sitting pretty close to the monitor normally, so will the size affect my situation at all really?

I have the 25UM57, a 25" 21:9 ultra-wide monitor, and the amount of hate thrown at them is a bit unfounded. I sit an arms-length away from the monitor, which I am sure is normal, and moved from a 24" 1080p monitor as a primary to the ultra wide as a primary and the 24" BenQ as a secondary monitor. They are smaller then you would think- I initially thought I would hate the monitor for being so small height wise, but I love the ultra wide. It might take a bit getting used to, but I love the monitor and wouldn't second guess purchasing another.

Hello.
My rig;
CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.7GhzRAM: HyperX Fury 8GB vengeance @ 1600MhzGPU: MSI R9 270 2GB, MOBO: MSI Z-97 SLI, PSU: Corsair 750M semi-modular 

10 minutes ago, Jacob Canale said:

I'm sitting pretty close to the monitor normally, so will the size affect my situation at all really?

The monitor is physically smaller. 25" is diagonal. Imagine if you had a square with 25" diagonal and a rectangle. The rectangle would be physically smaller.

24" 16:9 monitors are already very tiny, when you stretch it to 21:9 it becomes even smaller with less screen realestate.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 hours ago, Enderman said:

24" 16:9 monitors are already very tiny, when you stretch it to 21:9 it becomes even smaller with less screen realestate.

11 hours ago, Illumination said:

http://www.displaywars.com/25-inch-21x9-vs-25-inch-16x9 See? 25 inch 16:9 is bigger than 25 inch 21:9

I'm used to using a 17 inch laptop screen, so will this be bigger or smaller than my screen.