External Graphics or Desktop?

NoLoMo
Go to solution Solved by MrDrWho13,

Desktop, you can't get an external GPU for that laptop. Since you'll need to be buying something new anyway, a desktop would be much better value for money.

Before the school year begins I wanted to decide what on either upgrading my laptop or building a home workstation. I'm guessing that building a working graphics card dock will be more difficult than building a PC. When I game all I want to run is a MMORPG like Tera on high settings, or games sure as Ark on medium to high. Now another concern I have is my laptops IO are 3 USB one is 3.0, a Acer Converter Port -what ever that is-, Ethernet, and an HDMI port. From what I can tell I going to need thunderbolt to connect an external graphics card. So my question to you all is on a budget which of the two would you recommend to a novice techie. I'm using the term techie very loosely. 

desktop

Cpu: Intel i7-5820k at 4.6 Ghz // Motherboard: Asus X99 Pro // Ram: 32gb of Crucial Balistix at 2400 Mhz // Gpu: GTX 1080 Founders Edtion // SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb, Samsung 950 pro 256 gb, // Cooler: Cooler Master ml240r // Case: NZXT h500i 

Desktop, you can't get an external GPU for that laptop. Since you'll need to be buying something new anyway, a desktop would be much better value for money.

I edit my posts a lot.

3 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Alright I guess I'll post my plan system build later. Most likely will be buying used, but do you have any pointer on where to start or what to watch out for?