Will too much Wattage be a problem?

Scrulls
Go to solution Solved by Sunshine1868,

A PSU's wattage rating merely states how much it CAN provide, it doesn't mean it is always pushing that out. Your PSU will only push out as much power as your PC is "asking for". That being said, if you computer asks for more power than your PSU can provide, you'll have stability issues.

TL,DR: You can never have too big of a PSU.

Hello lads,

So I have a build that i am making and i sort of went for far too much wattage with it (already bought the PSU.. :/ ) and i have a question or two here.

With the following parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rC2BZ8

I bought the PSU with the idea that i will buy a second MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB to run in SLI with the first, but i did not account for how much it would need with just one. In PCPARTPICKER it says 332, so i roughly estimate it at a 400W (minimum) needed PSU for a single GPU, but with SLI, i suppose a 500-550W would also suffice.

My question here is, because my knowledge about PSU's is little to none, would using the Corsair CS750M 80+ Gold with that single GPU have any side effects or instability, or is every bit of power transfer handled by the Motherboard and its BIOS settings?

Or perhaps i am just worrying too much :D 

Side Note: I will be doing some overclocking on the CPU at a later date, but i when that time comes, ill be sure to check the forums here for any answers, or simply post should i have any questions.

In any case, cheers!

J. 

A PSU's wattage rating merely states how much it CAN provide, it doesn't mean it is always pushing that out. Your PSU will only push out as much power as your PC is "asking for". That being said, if you computer asks for more power than your PSU can provide, you'll have stability issues.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

7 minutes ago, Scrulls said:

snip

You're good. The wattage doesn't mean it's always providing that much power - it just means that it can provide that much power if it has to.

Efficiency curves would be the only thing that make having a too-large PSU bad - if you're never getting to the point where it's efficient, you're wasting a little electricity. But it's not a big deal.

EDIT: Also, the 1060 doesn't have SLI fingers, so you can't put it in SLI. Just so you aren't disappointed later ;).

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Yes, it's can be a problem to your bank account, not to your computer. ;)

750W is pretty standard though, good luck with your rig!

I edit my posts a lot.

3 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

snip

First of all, thank you both for your opinions here, much appreciated (and i did not know you can actually "snip" quote a comment here, good to know...)

But i am pretty sure that the 1060's 3GB version does not support SLI fingers. As for the MSI Gaming X 6GB version of the 1060, it has full SLI support from what i have seen around the web (i think even Linus did a video on that matter)

As for electricity bills, i personally don't care if i even use a 1200W PSU as electricity is pretty cheap in my country and i dont really have a problem with the bills (always estimating with 100$ more than the necessary :P )

Cheers,

J.

The only problem that might be is that an overkillr PSU might be unefficient when using with low wattage needs. (Though I'm not talking about the real overkill PSU's such as 1000+W as they are usually 80+ platinum so they remain efficient)

12 minutes ago, Scrulls said:

Hello lads,

So I have a build that i am making and i sort of went for far too much wattage with it (already bought the PSU.. :/ ) and i have a question or two here.

With the following parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rC2BZ8

I bought the PSU with the idea that i will buy a second MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB to run in SLI with the first, but i did not account for how much it would need with just one. In PCPARTPICKER it says 332, so i roughly estimate it at a 400W (minimum) needed PSU for a single GPU, but with SLI, i suppose a 500-550W would also suffice.

My question here is, because my knowledge about PSU's is little to none, would using the Corsair CS750M 80+ Gold with that single GPU have any side effects or instability, or is every bit of power transfer handled by the Motherboard and its BIOS settings?

Or perhaps i am just worrying too much :D 

Side Note: I will be doing some overclocking on the CPU at a later date, but i when that time comes, ill be sure to check the forums here for any answers, or simply post should i have any questions.

In any case, cheers!

J. 

It's overkill but it won't waste any power or anything like that. You'll be fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, Scrulls said:

First of all, thank you both for your opinions here, much appreciated (and i did not know you can actually "snip" quote a comment here, good to know...)

But i am pretty sure that the 1060's 3GB version does not support SLI fingers. As for the MSI Gaming X 6GB version of the 1060, it has full SLI support from what i have seen around the web (i think even Linus did a video on that matter)

As for electricity bills, i personally don't care if i even use a 1200W PSU as electricity is pretty cheap in my country and i dont really have a problem with the bills (always estimating with 100$ more than the necessary :P )

Cheers,

J.

I figured the electrical bills didn't matter ;) just figured I'd mention it in case!

And as far as I can see, the 1060 doesn't have SLI fingers for any model. Can you show me where you saw it? This is what I can find.

14-127-963-08.jpg

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

1 minute ago, Scrulls said:

You can check the whole GPU's architecture specs at MSI's website:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-GAMING-X-6G.html#hero-overview

Heres the first pic that i saw from the lightshow showoffs at MSI:

SLI.jpg

Hm, that's strange. Every other picture I can find doesn't have them (even on MSI's website). I can find a bunch of articles on how the 1060 doesn't support SLI too. But hey, if it does, that's great news!

4 minutes ago, arch_linuxos said:

Snip

EDIT: My mistake, apparently there is no official SLI fingers for the 1060, but it is possible to use other means (although pretty unstable for sure), BUT i doubt ill be using such SLI for gaming, probably just simple benchmarking to impress friends and what not.. :D 

so, excuse my mistake, im sort of still learning things as i go.

Just now, Scrulls said:

EDIT: My mistake, apparently there is no official SLI fingers for the 1060, but it is possible to use other means (although pretty unstable for sure), BUT i doubt ill be using such SLI for gaming, probably just simple benchmarking to impress friends and what not.. :D 

so, excuse my mistake, im sort of still learning things as i go.

It's totally alright, don't apologize! I think what you're probably referring to is the new DX12 feature that forces two GPUs to work together (I forget what it's called). That has to be enabled by the developer though.

I totally understand, the learning process takes a long time! Good luck with your build, I hope it goes well.

23 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

but you should look at what load the PSU preforms the best at and get one that preforms its best at the point your hardware is at 85% load if you dont want to spend to much on getting 1000W just because its fine to do so(if you dont hate your bank account) but OP you are fine with that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016