Long range gigabit wifi?

feehi
Go to solution Solved by InVis,

hahaha :D I love that antenna, its cute... 

I think there will be all kinds of problems with such a solution, VSWR errors, stability issues, etc and I really do not think it will work :D 

Do you have Line of Sight?

If yes, then just mount a few Ubiquiti NanoBeam https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac/ and be done with it :) 

You will never get gigabit using 802.11, it is always half duplex. 

My place to my work is only a mile away and i found THIS biquad anntena and as an editor i thought maybe i can get my footages wirelessly. I drew up a diagram here

WgWTLWD.jpg

So 

[1]  the previously mentioned antenna is THIS

[2] a network card possibly or maybe just a normal usb wifi adaptor

[3] im not sure if they have a gigabit switch or not so that might be the biggest bottlenect of the whole thing

[4] an ordinary gigabit router such as the google OnHub

Definatly probaly gonna save it locally first for more smoothness.

So do you think this is possibly viable? Or is the antena just not capable?

"Soundcards will give you more FPS."

I think you would need some sort of amplifier to drive the signal that far. Even then I don't think the connection would be reliable as there is a lot of things that can pollute the signal at that distance.

I think there will be all kinds of problems with such a solution, VSWR errors, stability issues, etc and I really do not think it will work :D 

If yes, then just mount a few Ubiquiti NanoBeam https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac/ and be done with it :) 

43 minutes ago, InVis said:

Thats a bit over my budget but thank you anyway. If this is something am actually really serius on then i will probaly buy one!

"Soundcards will give you more FPS."

6 hours ago, feehi said:

My place to my work is only a mile away and i found THIS biquad anntena and as an editor i thought maybe i can get my footages wirelessly. I drew up a diagram here

WgWTLWD.jpg

So 

[1]  the previously mentioned antenna is THIS

[2] a network card possibly or maybe just a normal usb wifi adaptor

[3] im not sure if they have a gigabit switch or not so that might be the biggest bottlenect of the whole thing

[4] an ordinary gigabit router such as the google OnHub

Definatly probaly gonna save it locally first for more smoothness.

So do you think this is possibly viable? Or is the antena just not capable?

I know I read many many years ago about people doing is. This was back in the wireless G days. However, people were using old direct TV or dish network dishes as directional antenna's. They then had to take 2.4 Ghz coming out of the router and get it down to a lower frequencies. Something like 800 or 900 Mhz. Then they directed the signal over the dish to the next dish. Then they have to modulate the signal back to something the router could use. 

The issue is, Im not sure how legal this is. I mean 900 Mhz is slated to be part of the 802.11AH standard. But Im not sure how the FCC would take you doing this. Also, 900Mhz was only suppose to give about 1 to 2 Mbps under 802.11AH. So yeah, Im not sure how feasible this is. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.