How to tell if Modem is working correctly or not

For the last year or so, my internet connection has intermittently dropped at completely random times. Sometimes at night, sometimes in the middle of the day, sometimes it will work fine for weeks on end with. Random. I have yet to find anything on my end as far as a trigger, or anything that I can attribute it to.

My question is, is there anything I can do to test if the issue is my modem or not? I am fairly confident my wireless router not the issue, though I guess I could never be 100% sure. When the internet connection drops, I am still connected to my network on my mobile devices, and I can still see my other devices on the network, despite losing the internet.

So I am kind of left thinking either my modem is having hiccups or its an issue with my ISP. I have looked into the logs on my modem and there is a error that comes up a few times, but the timing doesn't line up with my outtages. Is there a way I test to make sure my modem is working fully?

5 minutes ago, steinikekevin said:

For the last year or so, my internet connection has intermittently dropped at completely random times. Sometimes at night, sometimes in the middle of the day, sometimes it will work fine for weeks on end with. Random. I have yet to find anything on my end as far as a trigger, or anything that I can attribute it to.

My question is, is there anything I can do to test if the issue is my modem or not? I am fairly confident my wireless router not the issue, though I guess I could never be 100% sure. When the internet connection drops, I am still connected to my network on my mobile devices, and I can still see my other devices on the network, despite losing the internet.

So I am kind of left thinking either my modem is having hiccups or its an issue with my ISP. I have looked into the logs on my modem and there is a error that comes up a few times, but the timing doesn't line up with my outtages. Is there a way I test to make sure my modem is working fully?

Wire your computer straight to the modem and bypass the router.

Modem is a silicon lottery on its own. They overheat, they lose signal, and sometimes forget your settings. I'd personally go to my ISP and keep switching mine out until you get one that's working for a least a month without issue. I had a similar problem and after 3-4 switches they gave me a fancier looking one that doesn't have the same issue. Probably got tired of my persistence and upgraded my junk modem to a premium one.

Blue screens eh? Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

Even with the router out of the equation, I have no internet, I have tried my desktop right out of the modem, and same issue.

As far as replacing the modem with my ISP, the modem they 'rented' me costs $10 a month, I went out and bought a Motorola SB6121, which has worked fine for the most part. I could go out and buy a new one, but I would like to know if its my modem, or my ISP before I spend money on a new one.

2 hours ago, steinikekevin said:

Even with the router out of the equation, I have no internet, I have tried my desktop right out of the modem, and same issue.

As far as replacing the modem with my ISP, the modem they 'rented' me costs $10 a month, I went out and bought a Motorola SB6121, which has worked fine for the most part. I could go out and buy a new one, but I would like to know if its my modem, or my ISP before I spend money on a new one.

A question to ask is the medium being utilized for your ISP. Do you have coax, copper pair (DSL), WISP, Satellite, etc.

Knowing what the medium is and or the company providing your access is helpful as well. Easier to troubleshoot/narrow down.

Remember, 2 rules for troubleshooting:

1.) Always blame the distant end. It's never your equipment's fault.

2.) If rule 1 didn't work then start from layer 1 of OSI and work your way up to 7.