Hello all,

I'm making a new computer (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/28dMcc) that's meant to be super silent and run all AAA titles on maxed out settings at 1080p and try to be a little future proof. I was wondering, do I need an i7 to max out the settings at 1080p or will an i5 be sufficient. 

BTW I usually run Skype, Discord, and Steam in the background on a separate monitor while I play video games.

The i5 would be enough; it's a bit of a misnomer to think of the i7 as future proofing. Anyway, the i5 would be fine and would run more silent since it produces less heat overall. 

That said, I do run an i7 not because I think the games need it but because I do appreciate more concurrent threads and the extra OOTB power of 4.0 GHz instead of 3.5 GHZ. But really, this shouldn't be a concern since you said you favor quiet. 

Edited by FrankV
contrast my setup

Depends. Some i7s are worse than some i5s.

Which i7 would you use and which i5 would you use.

if you can spare some money go with an i7. there are a few games that hold the 1070 back with an i5 

2 minutes ago, Kenobi3371 said:

Hello all,

I'm making a new computer (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/28dMcc) that's meant to be super silent and run all AAA titles on maxed out settings at 1080p and try to be a little future proof. I was wondering, do I need an i7 to max out the settings at 1080p or will an i5 be sufficient. 

BTW I usually run Skype, Discord, and Steam in the background on a separate monitor while I play video games.

I'm assuming you'll be pairing it with a Gtx 1070, no? If so, aim for the 6700.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

An i5 is a good choice and you  should be worried about your gpu not your cpu you could run a Athlon X2 and still do well in all games except tomb raider because thats a cpu heavy game

3 minutes ago, FrankV said:

The i5 would be enough; it's a bit of a misnomer to think of the i7 as future proofing. Anyway, the i5 would be fine and would run more silent since it produces less heat overall. 

The i5 might Bottleneck he 1070 in some titles.

Edited by GER_T4IGA
I can't read good

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

3 minutes ago, Kenobi3371 said:

Hello all,

1080p is too easy for a gtx 1070 you might wanna get a 1440p monitor. Also with an i5 a gtx1070 gets around a 20% bottleneck so its best to get a i7-6700k

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

2 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

The i5 will Bottleneck the 1080. 

I'm not an expert but I can't see that happening - a few CPU heavy games, sure but not most. Do you have any source to back this up? I'd love more info.

I am going to throw a disclaimer out that I'm not counting the bottleneck effect on MMO games as even an i7 would bottleneck in those....  CPU is, in my expierence, almost always the limiting factor in busy MMOs. 

My god everyone was quick to respond to this. I'm brand new to the linustechtips forum so thank you all for the hasty replies!

16 hours ago, Stevoisboss said:

1080p is too easy for a gtx 1070 you might wanna get a 1440p monitor. Also with an i5 a gtx1070 gets around a 20% bottleneck so its best to get a i7-6700k

Yeah, I know it is right now but I'm heading to college soon so I'd like to future-proof it for a while.

16 hours ago, FrankV said:

I'm not an expert but I can't see that happening - a few CPU heavy games, sure but not most. Do you have any source to back this up? I'd love more info.

I am going to throw a disclaimer out that I'm not counting the bottleneck effect on MMO games as even an i7 would bottleneck in those....  CPU is, in my expierence, almost always the limiting factor in busy MMOs. 

I am looking to play Star Citizen so thank you for the insight!

16 hours ago, spidsepttk said:

Depends. Some i7s are worse than some i5s.

Which i7 would you use and which i5 would you use.

Both would be skylake

4 minutes ago, FrankV said:

I sadly don't have any Links o back it up but I was saying he same as you did a few weeks ago when somebody Hit me with some Benchmarks and it is true. The 1080 gets Bottleneck by an i5.  In this case it was a heavly OCed i5 4690 K which is not considerably eorse than a 6600k. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Just now, Kenobi3371 said:

Both would be skylake

There are a lot of skylake i5s and i7s. What exact cpus?

9 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

An i5 is a good choice and you  should be worried about your gpu not your cpu you could run a Athlon X2 and still do well in all games except tomb raider because thats a cpu heavy game

LOL no,an i5 will bottleneck the GTX 1070 and 1080 in almost any game that has little CPU Intensity

6 minutes ago, FrankV said:

The minimum fps is a huge story between the i5 and the i7,the i5 will bottleneck the 1070 and 1080 in CPU intensive games

I am looking to play Star Citizen so thank you for the insight!

I recommend the i7 still,since its future proof and offers much higher minimum fps,i know you care about average fps but do you really fps dips and drops,stutters and spikes

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

24 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

There are a lot of skylake i5s and i7s. What exact cpus?

6600K and 6700K

6600K and 6700K

Well, if you can afford a 6700k + Gtx 1070, that would be your best bet.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

15 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Well, if you can afford a 6700k + Gtx 1070, that would be your best bet.

Alright, and just double-checking, the 1080 would be completely overkill and never used, yeah?

1 minute ago, Kenobi3371 said:

Alright, and just double-checking, the 1080 would be completely overkill and never used, yeah?

There are better things to invest the money on. For example, a 1440p screen or peripherals. Also, I just looked at your build; a 2x8 3000mhz kit of RAM would be better (for you) than a 2x16 2666mhz one.

But if you don't have anything to throw your money at, I suppose you could buy the 1080 and render the games in 1440p via DSR. You can never have too much graphics power.

9 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

There are better things to invest the money on. For example, a 1440p screen or peripherals. Also, I just looked at your build; a 2x8 3000mhz kit of RAM would be better (for you) than a 2x16 2666mhz one.

But if you don't have anything to throw your money at, I suppose you could buy the 1080 and render the games in 1440p via DSR. You can never have too much graphics power.

xD Thanks for the help m8!

Damn $500 on the case, SSD, and fans together and you're asking about an extra $100 for a better cpu?

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

3 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

The i5 might Bottleneck he 1070 in some titles.

Oh Jesus, not this again.

The i5 is fine for gaming.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 7/28/2016 at 11:27 PM, Imakuni said:

What about when your playing in 144p xD 

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation