i bought a used gaming pc from a friend? is it good?

tezgaming
1 minute ago, Oakley said:

Not disagreeing, they needs an upgrade. It was just funny because those would be the most expensive to replace lol

that means i would need to upgrade my mobo but isnt R9 380 fairly new and can handle most of the games???

1 minute ago, tezgaming said:

that means i would need to upgrade my mobo but isnt R9 380 fairly new and can handle most of the games???

Actually no, that does not mean you need to upgrade your Mobo. You can upgrade to any LGA 2011 CPU, which I believe is up to Ivy Bridge.

The R9 380 is not fairly new. The RX 470, however, is, and if you wanted a cheap upgrade that's it.

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

For $500 CAD? That's a pretty sweet deal.

This build'll do fine for fine for quite a while yet.

3 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

Actually no, that does not mean you need to upgrade your Mobo. You can upgrade to any LGA 2011 CPU, which I believe is up to Ivy Bridge.

The R9 380 is not fairly new. The RX 470, however, is, and if you wanted a cheap upgrade that's it.

well I don't have any money saved up that i know off because my seasonal job just finished if i do get a part time job again i can sell off my R9 380 which idk how much would it sell for and i can get a rx 480 then or even a 1060

Just now, tezgaming said:

well I don't have any money saved up that i know off because my seasonal job just finished if i do get a part time job again i can sell off my R9 380 which idk how much would it sell for and i can get a rx 480 then or even a 1060

I'm not saying you absolutely have to upgrade, because you don't, but those parts are getting quite outdated, so if you get any money you can upgrade.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

Just now, LordMastodon said:

I'm not saying you absolutely have to upgrade, because you don't, but those parts are getting quite outdated, so if you get any money you can upgrade.

what other cpu i could go for?... for this motherboard..? can someone give me the list?>.

Beats the crap out of my quad potato and seems like a reasonable price.  Just an i7 used and a mobo can reach 250 USD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm191931627152

Although, I'm seeing this processor going for like 75-100 bucks.  That has me thinking about how cheaply could I get a mobo?

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

what other cpu i could go for?... for this motherboard..? can someone give me the list?>.

You don't need to upgrade your CPU. It'll work fine for most anything. The single-core performance isn't phenomenal, but it'll do most of anything you want. Also, you can overclock it if you want, which should help.

Google the motherboard model and click the manufacturer web page.  They will have a supported list on there somewhere that will list the supported CPUs.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Just now, tezgaming said:

Anything in Sandy Bridge, Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge, or Ivy Bridge-E. 

Sandy Bridge: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/29900/Sandy-Bridge#@All

Sandy Bridge-E: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/63378/Sandy-Bridge-E

Ivy Bridge: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/29902/Ivy-Bridge#@All

Ivy Bridge-E: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/67456/Ivy-Bridge-E

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Logarithm said:

You don't need to upgrade your CPU. It'll work fine for most anything. The single-core performance isn't phenomenal, but it'll do most of anything you want. Also, you can overclock it if you want, which should help.

yeah just want to gain some knowledge and i don't know how to over clock xD... 

1 minute ago, Cracklingice said:

Google the motherboard model and click the manufacturer web page.  They will have a supported list on there somewhere that will list the supported CPUs.

thankk you! 

41 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

I think it's actually not bad, although the CPU and the GPU could definitely use an upgrade.

no an i7 3820 is still a very good CPU, hell even sandy bridge i5s are still good for gaming and the r9 380 4gb is still a good GPU for maxing out 1080p... 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

18 minutes ago, tezgaming said:

You can get some good used 2011 Xeons. These are usually (at least in the used market) much cheaper then their i7 counterparts and can deliver good performance.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

36 minutes ago, tezgaming said:

why everyone hating not everyone has that much money xD...

your PC is still a very good one for 1080p gaming at high or maxed out settings... it has a 3rd gen i7 and a good GPU.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

You can get some good used 2011 Xeons. These are usually (at least in the used market) much cheaper then their i7 counterparts and can deliver good performance.

yeah like an 8 core E5 2670 for $60 or a e5 1650 the overclockable Xeon.  

Considering you didn't mention how much you paid for it, I guess it's good. My advice to you is check if something is a good deal BEFORE you buy anything if you're unsure of the value of what you're buying. It'll save you some headaches in the future. ;)

-KuJoe

42 minutes ago, Oakley said:

Two most expensive parts of a PC. dead lol

the GPU is fine, plus an 8 core Xeon E5 2670 costs only $60 for 8 cores 16 threads. 

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Considering you didn't mention how much you paid for it, I guess it's good. My advice to you is check if something is a good deal BEFORE you buy anything if you're unsure of the value of what you're buying. It'll save you some headaches in the future. ;)

he paid around $380 for a PC with an X79 mobo so damn good deal there to me. 

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

he paid around $380 for a PC with an X79 mobo so damn good deal there to me. 

I didn't see a price listed anywhere (just that he had a budget of $500 CAD). Thanks for clearing that up. :) Either way, you should never buy something and then find out if it's a good deal or not.

-KuJoe

43 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

I mean, you could buy an RX 470 when it comes out or something...

Yeah, it might quite a bit more expensive, but the CPU is quite outdated. It is literally from Ivy Bridge.

still is able to run games at high and near maxed out though at 1080p. an R9 380 isnt bad at all. 

Just now, KuJoe said:

I didn't see a price listed anywhere (just that he had a budget of $500 CAD). Thanks for clearing that up. :) Either way, you should never buy something and then find out if it's a good deal or not.

true, he got lucky this time when he find out he has an X79 mobo in there. those board go on ebay for $300+ USD right now. 

On 7/28/2016 at 5:07 PM, glitchmaster0001 said:

true, he got lucky this time when he find out he has an X79 mobo in there. those board go on ebay for $300+ USD right now. 

wow lol.. :) i don't know much about Mobos and Cpus but im definately planning to OC and t his pc came with a cooler .. i think i posted the pic didn't I? 

14 hours ago, tezgaming said:

wow lol.. :) i don't know much about Mobos and Cpus but im definately planning to OC and t his pc came with a cooler .. i think i posted the pic didn't I? 

yeah you can get a decent overclock out of that CPU. its still a very good CPU even at stock speeds and overclocked would be even better. 

I think that's a decent deal, the motherboard alone is worth hanging onto as there is sure to be a flood of 2011 socket server CPU's hitting the second hand market at some point, probably at rock bottom prices. Might get a nice cheap HEX or OCTA core in the future, there might even be some out there already that are worth snapping up. Also 3 PCIe slots is always nice. Keep an eye on that water cooler though, I assume you have no idea how old that thing is?

Oh and get a better case unless you're going for the whole 'sleeper PC' thing.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans