Is my 970 running too hot

Overkilled
3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I know - but it didn't die due to heat...

wouldn't of died if a different owner had bought it.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Just now, don_svetlio said:

I know - but it didn't die due to heat...

yeah it didnt. but his definitely running hotter and could die from heat. 

Lets use the logic of some people on this forum. So the normal temperature of the human body is only around 98.6, but you have a fever of around 99. Its an abnormal temperature, but only a little bit higher than normal. Do you feel fine with even a body temperature a little bit above normal? NO! You have cold sweats, you shiver, and you feel week. And if you ignore it, your fever can get higher and if it gets to hot, it can damage your internal organs and disrupt reactions that the enzymes secreted by your body conduct. Take this example, take a piece of pig liver, one that was cut fresh from a dead pig and one then take another piece and fry it. Then, drop some sort of toxin that the enzymes from the liver would create a positive reaction with and fiz, first drop it on the fresh piece of liver and observe the positive reaction. Then, drop the same substance on the piece of liver that was exposed to high temperatures for long periods of time, does it produce the same reaction? NO! This proves that exposing living tissue to higher temperatures than normal for long periods of time  could affect it in the long run, and the same concept applies to components in graphics cards, They have mechanisms to cool them down for a reason. Unlike the narrow minded people on this forums, I approach problems with Science and Math rather then technical knowledge, the only knowledge I needed to know is normal gaming temps for the 970. People who say I'm a "Troll" clearly have no knowledge of computers what so ever.

If I can determine its the gpu and not other factors like the case or the fans not spinning fast enough

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Have you thought about re applying the thermal paste?

Don, we are no longer friends that I had to find this myself. When stuff this bonkers is going on you tag a brother xD 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, Overkilled said:

If I can determine its the gpu and not other factors like the case or the fans not spinning fast enough

Your case being the cause is easy, take off the side cover. If your temps drop it's airflow.

Just now, LapisPower said:

A reference 970 hits 79 degree's C under load at stock speeds... There is no potential harm at his temps... That said he has a beafy after market cooler so he should het such high temps.

No, 70 degrees under load. Go search reddit and every other place you want.

IIRC there's two 970s in your case? (heh)

Which card? top or bottom? If it's the top card then that's to be expected. 

Just because your case costs 'x' amount of money doesn't mean it'll do gods work with component temperatures. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

No, 70 degrees under load. Go search reddit and every other place you want.

Your source is reddit? Fucks sake, at least be semi-decent and use GPUBoss....

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Don, we are no longer friends that I had to find this myself. When stuff this bonkers is going on you tag a brother xD 

This is thread is giving me brain damage....

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

IIRC there's two 970s in your case? (heh)

Which card? top or bottom? If it's the top card then that's to be expected. 

Just because your case costs 'x' amount of money doesn't mean it'll do gods work with component temperatures. 

I've only got one this is how my fans are set up

20160728_211045[1].jpg

20160728_211327[1].jpg

This seems to be the only place the case can breath, no space at the top or front.

Yo bro... your card is fine. My 970 runs at ~70°C with a massive fan mod while the VMR's stay at a toasty 80 - 100°C. In my case, it definitely will hurt lifespan, but it will still exceed the time before the card will become obsolete.

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Just now, Overkilled said:

I've only got one this is how my fans are set up

This seems to be the only place the case can breath, no space at the top or front.

Yeah the restriction is real. Although it is a show case and airflow usually isn't the point of them. 

That's not a whole lot of breathing space. You could try and go for fans that have higher CFM or static pressure levels but that usually brings more noise. 

Ideally the GPU should be under water as load temps would be lucky to see 40C - 45C at the worst. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

11 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

No its not, its not at optimal temperatures you fucking twelvie.

Can we keep our anatomy out of the conversation please? You have no idea the struggles I endure trying to find pants that fit...

9 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

Yo bro... your card is fine. My 970 runs at ~70°C with a massive fan mod while the VMR's stay at a toasty 80 - 100°C. In my case, it definitely will hurt lifespan, but it will still exceed the time before the card will become obsolete.

This right here. ^ perfectly encapsulated the issue.

Just now, App4that said:

Can we keep our anatomy out of the conversation please? You have no idea the struggles I endure trying to find pants that fit...

This right here. ^ perfectly encapsulated the issue.

He literally said that it will affect the life span, and the gtx 480 is still able to run todays AAA titles at medium settings 1080p so it will be a damn long time until the 970 is no longer a capable piece of hardware.

Not sure what's all the fuss about. Sure, 82C doesn't look nice but keep in mind that components used on any GPU are build to operate under these temperatures for at least the length of the warranty, which in my country is usually 3 years.

Considering how freaking toasty some AMD GPUs are (according to Computerbase.de, R9 390X runs at 92C under load) and yet they manage to survive (in most cases :D) I wouldnt consider 82C as bad as some people make it look like. 

14 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

Ha, I built a custom water cooler loop for $400 out of spare parts to cool two extreme edition 6 core cpus, what have you done?

You see the problem is that with getting a Hall of Fame card I naturally want to overclock it so thats why I need to find out if its fixable without any drastic measures 

1 minute ago, RazerFX said:

He literally said that it will affect the life span, and the gtx 480 is still able to run todays AAA titles at medium settings 1080p so it will be a damn long time until the 970 is no longer a capable piece of hardware.

Do you understand how? That's the issue. Graphics cards last years, decades. I'm not sure I've ever seen one die that wasn't related to abuse. 80c is not abuse. By the time that 970 dies from those temps Volta will be the new Fermi.

It's fine if it's not thermal throttling. The card throttles at 90c from what I can find, so you're a little ways off.

I'm serious about my previous solution though. It works really well, it's cheap, and you won't even notice the fan there if you throw a $1 dust filter from ebay on it.

fan.png

14 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

Well, you know... AFAIK, processing units, regardless whether CPU or GPU can withstand quite the abuse. All the GPU's and CPU's I own still work just fine. To be fair, the oldest piece is a P4 and a 7600GT and I guess many people on this forum own stuff that is way older.. but most of their stuff still works fine as well.

This thread kind of got a bit derailed by people comparing their e-dick by who knows more about lifespans and can debunk someone else..

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

If it gets too hot, give it an Ice cold drink.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 hour ago, SageOfSpice said:

... Or you could do what I did, and rip out the extra PCI retainers on the case and stick an 80mm fan there to blow air into the GPU cooler.

Thats a really good idea actually

3 hours ago, RazerFX said:

Lets use the logic of some people on this forum. So the normal temperature of the human body is only around 98.6, but you have a fever of around 99. Its an abnormal temperature, but only a little bit higher than normal. Do you feel fine with even a body temperature a little bit above normal? NO! You have cold sweats, you shiver, and you feel week.

A temp of 101°F can be harmful and 103°F is harmful for adults. The more you know ?

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro