Unraid - USB Problem

the machine is running but there are some problems with the USB peripherals

its not 30grand or as powerful as the rig linus did but a good start 

after connecting the peripherals on the io panel and whenever its set to  mouse1 to vm 1  and  mouse2 to vm 2  etc in unraid to the specific machine its changing the guid of it

after changing the XML to the correct "mouse" guid it the mouse-guid instantly changes to something else

some tinkering helps and it runs well until you restart the vm´s and the mouse gets another id again

and is there a way to passthrough different usb hubs to each vm? 

was linus able to access the display usb hub?

summoning @nicklmg that maybe knows, or knows someone that knows it 

can anyone help with this issues?

thanks in advance

the rig

Spoiler

IMG_20160718_172444.jpgIMG_20160726_165102.jpg

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

1 minute ago, Bl00dgod said:

the machine is running but there are some problems with the USB peripherals

we´re connecting the peripherals on the io panel and whenever we try to set  mouse1 to vm 1  and  mouse2 to vm 2  etc in unraid to the specific machine its changing the guid of it

after changing the XML to the correct "mouse" guid it the mouse-guid instantly changes to something else

and is there a way to "hotplug" usb devices like flash drives etc?

thanks in advance

You can't hotplug usb devices, unless you get a pcie to usb adapter and give that to a vm.

Id also highly suggest you move away from unraid and use something like esxi, proxmox, xen, or ovirt. THey have much better support and are much more trusted.

why did linus use unraid then instead of all those others?

all pci slots are used

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

Just now, Bl00dgod said:

why did linus use unraid then instead of all those others?

all pci slots are used

Because he was sponsored.

Id suggest you stay away from using vm's like this. If you want a multi use vm solution, buy thin clients for every user.

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Because he was sponsored.

Id suggest you stay away from using vm's like this. If you want a multi use vm solution, buy thin clients for every user.

we already got the rig and now we want to use it, no more thin clients

we ´re using the free limetech unraid version

the 7gamers 1rig was a nice inspiration but some important config informations arent told in the video

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

but thats exactly how we want to use it, 1 rig and seperate vm on it

Problem is that thats not really a supported config. Id stay away form that and either get thinclients, or separate systems.

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can't hotplug usb devices, unless you get a pcie to usb adapter and give that to a vm.

Id also highly suggest you move away from unraid and use something like esxi, proxmox, xen, or ovirt. THey have much better support and are much more trusted.

do those solutions do gpu passtrough?

Just now, manikyath said:

do those solutions do gpu passtrough?

Yep they all do, and esxi and xen do it better as you can give one gpu to multiple vms.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep they all do, and esxi and xen do it better as you can give one gpu to multiple vms.

i should maybe mess with proxmox again then sometime.

although, how would one gpu to multiple vms even work?

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i should maybe mess with proxmox again then sometime.

although, how would one gpu to multiple vms even work?

Nvidia has grid that lets you use all the normal gpu drivers and it splits up the cores and vram. You can also split it in solfware and have the hypervisor pass the calls through, but your limited to what ever drivers the hypervisor makes, currently esxi only supports directx 9 with this mode.

Id personally mess with xen and esxi if you want to learn about commerical hypervisor

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nvidia has grid that lets you use all the normal gpu drivers and it splits up the cores and vram. You can also split it in solfware and have the hypervisor pass the calls through, but your limited to what ever drivers the hypervisor makes, currently esxi only supports directx 9 with this mode.

but the big thing linus uses unraid for is that the gpu is hooked up to the VM as if bare metal.

Just now, manikyath said:

but the big thing linus uses unraid for is that the gpu is hooked up to the VM as if bare metal.

That also works fine, but doesn't make sense for a buiness desktop environment as needing one gpu for every user, when most of the time the usage is under 10%

On 28.7.2016 at 10:44 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

On 28.7.2016 at 11:06 AM, manikyath said:

seems like if we manage to route the riser cable through to the slots between the cards it should run fine

waiting for the pci-e usb hubs to arrive but the defect/ faulty we tried was working and got detectet

so this way everyone still gets seperate USB slots delivered to the VMs

rig update with pci/m2 riser cables

Spoiler

IMG_20160802_114755.jpg

Spoiler