Project: White Shadow. last update: 03/01/14

hey guys

so, basically my current set up is

- z77x-ud3h 

- 8gb ram

- his 7850

- i5 3570k

so as far as upgrades im going to be building/heavily modding and old computer case used for mri machines (which was running windows 2000 on a core 2 i think :lol:), it was being thrown out at work so i took it home as a project (which currently has no name, so any suggestions?) its got an old school lay out with the psu at the top with a few floppy disk readers for good measure ;)  i plan to strip it down, mod it heavily at college, make a new front panel out of brushed aluminium with air force grade toggle switches, and a dew bays for multimedia clutter :)  make a window, repaint (in black and white theme), and upgrade!

upgrades consist of:

- amd r9 290x, when available (but depends on pricing as unfortunately im not made of money :/ )

- single fan cpu water cooler, sealed loop (haven't decided on what one, thats where you guys come in)

- 16gb of ram

- re sleeve cables

- more fans than you could ever need

what ive got to work with so far

post-36132-0-49091400-1381174502_thumb.j

post-36132-0-39116400-1381174536_thumb.j

updates coming soon

any sugestions, comments, about what i should/shouldn't do/buy

any help appreciated

-Fresh 

Pretty cool dude, too bad the case doesn't have good cooling. Good luck!

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Good luck!

What's that blue light coming from behind your desk, do you use a LEDs strip placed under/behind the desk?

It's looking pretty slick :P

Pretty cool dude, too bad the case doesn't have good cooling. Good luck!

yeah i know, its gonna be a challenge ahha, cheers man 

Good luck!

What's that blue light coming from behind your desk, do you use a LEDs strip placed under/behind the desk?

It's looking pretty slick 

yeah man, got it cheap of ebay for £12 i think, and thanks :P

UPDATE: 08/10/13 (small, but still an update)

not to scale or in much detail but here is a basic plan for the brushed aluminium cut for the front panel

post-36132-0-72458600-1381264299_thumb.j

Why are you going with the single radiator? It looks like you should have space for a lot more or even a full water cooling system.

I cannot afford a custom loop rn, I'm thinking about pushing the budget to a double radiator, as it will fit with plenty of room

IDK if everyting you ask for will fit in that kinda dinky case. Size requirements back in 2000 are different from now. Besides, why would you want such a crappy case anyway?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

IDK if everyting you ask for will fit in that kinda dinky case. Size requirements back in 2000 are different from now. Besides, why would you want such a crappy case anyway?

There are many good reasons like recycling it, a classic look and my favourite if someone breaks in who would steal it aha.

Have you considered going second hand on some parts? I get stuff on eBay all the time and have yet to get a DOA or defective part.

I'll look into it, thanks ;)

I've measured up and everything will fit, it's bigger than you think, the only challenge will be cable management and I'm going to have to be creative! Getting sufficient cooling sorted might be tricky too! Also the final Finnish won't look crappy, hence the mods and respray :P

hey man use cable ties maybe? and you should deff have a double radiator 

hey man use cable ties maybe? and you should deff have a double radiator 

going for something more creative, as i have no room behind my mobo tray! and i want to, im trying to fit it in the budget :/

I suggest you fabricate your own cable management holes.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I suggest you fabricate your own cable management holes.

i have no room to run cables behind my mobo tray :/  so it would be pointless

post-36132-0-37514100-1381422781_thumb.j

can anyone recommend a good uk website thats sells case mod parts? leds, grills, fans, led control panels... so i can buy them from all the same place

can anyone recommend a good uk website thats sells case mod parts? leds, grills, fans, led control panels... so i can buy them from all the same place

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=1428 best site :D and great support 

CPU 5900x| GPU 3080ti FE| MOBO MSI MPG CARBON MAX| RAM 32GB VENGENCE PRO 3200Mhz| STORAGE Samsung 980 Pro 1TB,2X WDSN750,4TB Seagate Barracuda| COOLING 1x Corsair 360mm XR7 54mm Radiator,1x EK-CoolStream PE 360mm Radiator| GPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XG7 RGB| CPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XC5 RGB| Fittings: EK-Torque STC & Corsair Hydro X Series XF| Pump/Res: EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5| Tubing: Corsair Hydro X Series XT Softline| Liquid: Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Clear| Fans: 10x Corsair SP120 RGB

This is an American site, but takes international orders.

mnpctech.com

Also, if you want cable management, at your own risk, of course, I would try and scooch the motherboard tray a few centimetres to have room for cable management, or try to widen the case itself so you don't have to remove the tray. Of course, it may be a lot more work, and more material and sanding and everything. But I would recommend trying to widen the case first, then if that doesn't work, go with the motherboard tray method.

Kudos,

terrytek

This is an American site, but takes international orders.

mnpctech.com

Also, if you want cable management, at your own risk, of course, I would try and scooch the motherboard tray a few centimetres to have room for cable management, or try to widen the case itself so you don't have to remove the tray. Of course, it may be a lot more work, and more material and sanding and everything. But I would recommend trying to widen the case first, then if that doesn't work, go with the motherboard tray method.

Kudos,

terrytek

i looked at mnpctech before but wasnt to happy with the shipping circumstances.

interesting idea man, never thought about that, ima try that if i cant get it to look good. i thought id try run the out from the hole in front of the psu, and the neatly down the right hand side of the motherboard, im going to try to creatively keep them neat, like arcrylic tubing, spiral wrap or extremely neat cable ties, but if i cant get it to look good then il certainly try widening the case. im going to put all my components in the case at the weekend, so i can try to resolve the cable management issue so il let you know the outcome :P 

OK. Thanks.