Can a dying SSD OS drive cause bad performance to other drives?

CurtisVL

According to HD Tune Pro, my SSD that I use for my OS drive is on death's door, it is a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, and has written about 14TB in its life.

ce4d0c634b1c512b1e0e0068f5130ac7.png

I ran a Crystal Disk Mark test on my 2TB Seagate SSHD, the drive was inactive other than the test:

7ea86bd951f60787e4add44e2186b8ff.png

Other drives in the system seem to show similar results, that are considerably lower than they should be.

As it stands, most other drives in my system are basically useless due to the speed; I know the SSD needs replacing at some point, but is that what would be causing the other drives to run so slowly?

3 minutes ago, CurtisVL said:

According to HD Tune Pro, my SSD that I use for my OS drive is on death's door, it is a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, and has written about 14TB in its life.

ce4d0c634b1c512b1e0e0068f5130ac7.png

I ran a Crystal Disk Mark test on my 2TB Seagate SSHD, the drive was inactive other than the test:

7ea86bd951f60787e4add44e2186b8ff.png

Other drives in the system seem to show similar results, that are considerably lower than they should be.

As it stands, most other drives in my system are basically useless due to the speed; I know the SSD needs replacing at some point, but is that what would be causing the other drives to run so slowly?

Possibly. Considering that your OS is the core of your system. Information on other drives can only run as fast as your OS will let it.

I have many leather-bound books.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K - 4.3 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe II | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU:  Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 | PSU: Corsair RM750i | Case: NZXT Switch 810 | Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 Hydro | Monitors: Acer G257HU - Acer GN246HL | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Razer Mamba -  Astro A50

Just now, Oakley said:

Possibly. Considering that your OS is the core of your system. Information on other drives can only run as fast as your OS will let it.

That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to know if I have multiple dead drives, or just one that is affecting the others.

The SSHD is rather new, and doesn't show any SMART issues, so I imagine it's most likely just the SSD.

2 minutes ago, CurtisVL said:

That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to know if I have multiple dead drives, or just one that is affecting the others.

The SSHD is rather new, and doesn't show any SMART issues, so I imagine it's most likely just the SSD.

Ya, that sucks that your chokin drive stores your OS. It is hindering the whole system instead of just itself.

I have many leather-bound books.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K - 4.3 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe II | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU:  Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 | PSU: Corsair RM750i | Case: NZXT Switch 810 | Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 Hydro | Monitors: Acer G257HU - Acer GN246HL | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Razer Mamba -  Astro A50

Just now, Oakley said:

Ya, that sucks that your chokin drive stores your OS. It is hindering the whole system instead of just itself.

Dat feel when u just bought a GTX 1080, so you're poor, then your OS drive dies. Money sucks.