What are some desktop laptop merging solutions?

I have a Dell XPS 13 that I use for medical school stuff, which is great because of the battery life. I also have an awesome gaming rig at home. I prefer to work on my desktop because of the bigger screen and more comfortable set up, but I need to have access to the files on my laptop when go to school or the hospital. Instead of constantly using a USB to swap files, is there a way that I can have a shared folder between them for pdfs, videos, Microsoft office documents, etc.? I have windows 10 home edition on both. 

Try using Onedrive built into Windows 10, as long as they have internet that should be fine.

Dell G15 Ryzen Edition

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600H GPU: RTX 3050 RAM: 32GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 4TB SSD

MSI Modern 14

----------------

CPU: i7-10510U GPU: Nvidia MX 330 RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 1TB SSD

You setup a file share if you need to acess files. You can store stuff in the cloud, you can store stuff on a external hdd and carry it with you and store everything on that drive

There's 2 main solutions:

- Setup synchronised folders: Files in each folder are copied/deleted so that each folder is in sync with each other. This will happen when you go home and both devices are connected to each other over the network.

- Use something like Dropbox to automatically upload these files to the internet. when each computer accesses the internet, it will download any changes that have been made. This also allows you to access files on other devices or share them with your friends/family.

An alternative to the last solution is use your desktop as a server and host a private version yourself. This gives you as much storage as you like, but you're limited to the upload/download speed of your home network, and there's no backup unless you make it yourself.

You could also invest in a NAS which is a box that you connect to your network and acts as a file server. This would have the same limits as using your PC, but without having to keep your PC on the whole time, and can be used as a backup if you have the data on your PC/laptop as well.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I use google drive for all my school work
use my laptop when im out of the house
desktop when im back home
simple easy
nothing complicated about it. 
and if needed, i can access the files anywhere else through a browser or my phone 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

I use OneDrive for Business. My subscription allows me to have an Office suite installed into 5 different computers (Infinite for Android and iOS), all of which are seamlessly integrated with OneDrive so you can open and save files directly on Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. You can also edit on the webpage if you so desire.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 7/26/2016 at 4:56 PM, squirrl said:

There's 2 main solutions:

- Setup synchronised folders: Files in each folder are copied/deleted so that each folder is in sync with each other. This will happen when you go home and both devices are connected to each other over the network.

- Use something like Dropbox to automatically upload these files to the internet. when each computer accesses the internet, it will download any changes that have been made. This also allows you to access files on other devices or share them with your friends/family.

An alternative to the last solution is use your desktop as a server and host a private version yourself. This gives you as much storage as you like, but you're limited to the upload/download speed of your home network, and there's no backup unless you make it yourself.

You could also invest in a NAS which is a box that you connect to your network and acts as a file server. This would have the same limits as using your PC, but without having to keep your PC on the whole time, and can be used as a backup if you have the data on your PC/laptop as well.

Do you have a link to somewhere that explaind how I can set up synchronized folders?

11 hours ago, jtjallday said:

Do you have a link to somewhere that explaind how I can set up synchronized folders?

You could use something like synctoy (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=15155) or any other sync software that you like. Just follow what it says in the UI or on the website of whatever you choose.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me out. I just thought I'd give an update on my solution. After trying a few different things, Google Drive turned out to be the easiest and most painless way to share small files between my computers. After adding google drive folders and sub-folders to the QuickAccess panel in FileExplorer, it all just became a breeze. 15GB is plenty of space as most of my files are word documents or pdfs. I had a ton of network connectivity problems with Homegroup and I couldn't access files on my PC from school. Thanks again.

Nice to Know. But what's the network problem exactly? If your PC is able to connect to network, the Google Drive app could also do. Sync data before accessing. 

On 8/8/2016 at 9:50 PM, Ingrid_W said:

Nice to Know. But what's the network problem exactly? If your PC is able to connect to network, the Google Drive app could also do. Sync data before accessing. 

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. When I first connect the Desktop and the Laptop via homegroup, there aren't any issues. It's when I leave with my laptop and come back do I have connectivity problems. Something about leaving the physical area of my home network kills the Desktop-Laptop connection and it won't reconnect through homegroup until I have the devices forget each other and start over.

On 2016/8/15 at 1:06 PM, jtjallday said:

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. When I first connect the Desktop and the Laptop via homegroup, there aren't any issues. It's when I leave with my laptop and come back do I have connectivity problems. Something about leaving the physical area of my home network kills the Desktop-Laptop connection and it won't reconnect through homegroup until I have the devices forget each other and start over.

I am not sure about this homegroup issue. My suggestion is turn off the network and try again. Maybe others can help you about this. Good Luck.