X58 Boards from China?

Go to solution Solved by catzambia,

They've only got 2 dimm slots. I'd steer clear.

I'm hunting down an X58 motherboard to build a VM box for my wife with an old i7-920. The board is the only thing left, and the prices on X58 boards are surprisingly high. If one were to check a popular online auction site, they'd see loads of "New X58 Motherboard" listings from China for surprisingly low prices ($90-100). Are those safe, decent quality boards, or should I spend considerably more to get my hands on a used name-brand board from the US?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'm hunting down an X58 motherboard to build a VM box for my wife with an old i7-920. The board is the only thing left, and the prices on X58 boards are surprisingly high. If one were to check a popular online auction site, they'd see loads of "New X58 Motherboard" listings from China for surprisingly low prices ($90-100). Are those safe, decent quality boards, or should I spend considerably more to get my hands on a used name-brand board from the US?

Well, China was selling GTX 780s which were really just old Nvidia cards with like a 780 cooler glued on lol. I would just spend the money on a new motherboard, or just get a new CPU and motherboard.

4 minutes ago, catzambia said:

They've only got 2 dimm slots. I'd steer clear.

especially since x58 is triple not dual/quad channel

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

I'm facepalming for not noticing that.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

4 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Well yeah, that's why I said it

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'm facepalming for not noticing that.

haha lol. Pricing on ebay is absolute balls. People are selling p55 boards for $100 and up. Did you try posting in the classifieds?

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

Just now, catzambia said:

haha lol. Pricing on ebay is absolute balls. People are selling p55 boards for $100 and up. Did you try posting in the classifieds?

Not yet. I have a lead on a board locally, but it's a Sabretooth X58, and I'm not looking to drop $250-300 on a motherboard for a cheapo "Look at all the parts I have lying around" rig. The local deal is enticing because the guy is willing to talk trade, and with all the spare CPUs and GPUs I have lying around, I'd like to think I could bring the price way down on a really, really nice board instead of paying more for a lesser one and still having my mountain of spare parts.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Not yet. I have a lead on a board locally, but it's a Sabretooth X58, and I'm not looking to drop $250-300 on a motherboard for a cheapo "Look at all the parts I have lying around" rig. The local deal is enticing because the guy is willing to talk trade, and with all the spare CPUs and GPUs I have lying around, I'd like to think I could bring the price way down on a really, really nice board instead of paying more for a lesser one and still having my mountain of spare parts.

Coolio. Would you by chance have a spare 775 board?

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

Just now, catzambia said:

Coolio. Would you by chance have a spare 775 board?

I doubt it. In fact, no. The only 775 board I have is currently being used in a Q6600 HTPC, and it's a Dell wacko BTX board that's completely useless outside of its original case.

Just now, aisle9 said:

I doubt it. In fact, no. The only 775 board I have is currently being used in a Q6600 HTPC, and it's a Dell wacko BTX board that's completely useless outside of its original case.

Alright, thanks man

LTT's Fastest 9800gt