Budget Rig compatibility concern. Sorta urgent

Go to solution Solved by Prokart2000,
Just now, Casual Cube said:

thanks a bunch mate. so what if I put in an unlocked cpu like i5 6600k and not tamper with its capabilities and leave it be? you think it'll run at all and i need something thats locked?

You can have a k cpu in a h110 board but the board prohibits ocing, you will need a z170 chipset board to oc

So as the title says Im in dire need of advice and opinions. Im a day away from getting these parts - i5-6400, MSI GAMING GTX950 and an MSI H110 GAMING motherboard. This isnt my first build but its the first time I'm making something flashy and good enough for my 13 year old brothers gaming needs. As contempt as i am with the two parts I may have been misinformed about the H110 motherboard not supporting overclocking of the gpu. This is the key problem I'm having with the build. If the mobo does prevent the OC of the gpu I'm ok but the GTX950 MSI gaming edition has a software that easily enables you to OC so i' concerned if the unlocked card wont be compatible with the H110 mobo.

Any Quick and Reliable replies are highly appreciated. Thank you

1 minute ago, Casual Cube said:

So as the title says Im in dire need of advice and opinions. Im a day away from getting these parts - i5-6400, MSI GAMING GTX950 and an MSI H110 GAMING motherboard. This isnt my first build but its the first time I'm making something flashy and good enough for my 13 year old brothers gaming needs. As contempt as i am with the two parts I may have been misinformed about the H110 motherboard not supporting overclocking of the gpu. This is the key problem I'm having with the build. If the mobo does prevent the OC of the gpu I'm ok but the GTX950 MSI gaming edition has a software that easily enables you to OC so i' concerned if the unlocked card wont be compatible with the H110 mobo.

Any Quick and Reliable replies are highly appreciated. Thank you

Huh? you can overclock all GPUs on all motherboards, regardless of chipset

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

What about the CPU then? maybe that must be where I got confused from?

What about the CPU then? maybe that must be where I got confused from?

yeah no cpu overclocks

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

thanks a bunch mate. so what if I put in an unlocked cpu like i5 6600k and not tamper with its capabilities and leave it be? you think it'll run at all or i need something thats locked?

thanks a bunch mate. so what if I put in an unlocked cpu like i5 6600k and not tamper with its capabilities and leave it be? you think it'll run at all and i need something thats locked?

You can have a k cpu in a h110 board but the board prohibits ocing, you will need a z170 chipset board to oc

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

awesome help guys. Learning something new everyday you put yourself out there

you know I think I'll actually keep this for the future. Definitely will be looking into CPU overclocking. And also a quick update; the PC is working great. OC of the 950 is amazing and this thing is a beast tbh. Thanks for all the help guys