Worth "upgrading" my monitor?

Go to solution Solved by MadOrc,
4 minutes ago, BoogieBeast said:

I was wondering if it is worth "upgrading" from an Asus mg278q to Asus mg279q.

I know that the difference is minimal, better colors and more response time. 

The only thing holding me back is my concern about the increase in response time and if changing from a TN panel to an IPS panel is worth the price.

Now the money side of this is isn't that big of a deal, seeing as I'll just sell my current monitor and use the money from that towards this new monitor.

Sorry if this seems convoluted, and incoherent, I'm extremely tired and my mind is all over the place.

Any response time under 5ms is good unless you're a pro gamer. If you want to go through the trouble of buying and selling just for better color, go for it.

The only thing holding me back is my concern about the increase in response time and if changing from a TN panel to an IPS panel is worth the price.

Now the money side of this is isn't that big of a deal, seeing as I'll just sell my current monitor and use the money from that towards this new monitor.

Sorry if this seems convoluted, and incoherent, I'm extremely tired and my mind is all over the place.

+ a more detailed version is in my profile

1 minute ago, BoogieBeast said:

well, if color is a big thing for ya. sure go ahead. what will ye sell the old one for?

You cannot notice the difference in response time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, MagnusGrønstad said:

well, if color is a big thing for ya. sure go ahead. what will ye sell the old one for?

Depends, there isn't one listed where i usually sell stuff, but guessing around. 4500kr (519 us dollars) maybe a little less, new monitor cost 5790kr (668 us dollars).

Just now, BoogieBeast said:

Depends, there isn't one listed where i usually sell stuff, but guessing around. 4500kr (519 us dollars) maybe a little less, new monitor cost 5790kr (668 us dollars).

depending on what kroners...

4 minutes ago, BoogieBeast said:

Any response time under 5ms is good unless you're a pro gamer. If you want to go through the trouble of buying and selling just for better color, go for it.

3 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

depending on what kroners...

I don't know what people are willing to pay for it, I'd put it out for 4500kr, and see if people would be interested.

Norwegian kroners for reference.

I don't know what people are willing to pay for it, I'd put it out for 4500kr, and see if people would be interested.

that depends on how well used the monitor is. and what type of kroner are ye talking about?

Just now, MagnusGrønstad said:

that depends on how well used the monitor is. and what type of kroner are ye talking about?

Norske kroner.

Norske kroner.

oooh. well, just go ahead. you might actually get 4500kr for it :D

14 minutes ago, MadOrc said:

Just a quick question since I might not be informed on the matter. How would increasing the response time from 1ms on the old monitor to 4ms on the new monitor make a difference at all even for a pro gamer? At 144Hz the time between frame changes is 6.94ms, so I don't see how any response time between 0ms and 7ms would make a difference in gaming at all. From what I can tell the only time there will be a difference would be when you hit the 8ms response time range or higher because the response would be 1 frame behind the next panel. Again, I'm no expert and could be missing something.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

8 minutes ago, ATFink said:

Just a quick question since I might not be informed on the matter. How would increasing the response time from 1ms on the old monitor to 4ms on the new monitor make a difference at all even for a pro gamer? At 144Hz the time between frame changes is 6.94ms, so I don't see how any response time between 0ms and 7ms would make a difference in gaming at all. From what I can tell the only time there will be a difference would be when you hit the 8ms response time range or higher because the response would be 1 frame behind the next panel. Again, I'm no expert and could be missing something.

Pro gamers usually have their reaction times honed down to below 200ms, and want as little latency as possible, so that the time it takes for a response in their brain to pass through the computer onto the screen is as close to their reaction time as possible. it makes almost no difference. But pros want every bit they can get, because it could mean millions of dollars.

1 minute ago, MadOrc said:

Pro gamers usually have their reaction times honed down to below 200ms, and want as little latency as possible, so that the time it takes for a response in their brain to pass through the computer onto the screen is as close to their reaction time as possible. it makes almost no difference. But pros want every bit they can get, because it could mean millions of dollars.

Wow, that's crazy they can react that fast, but that doesn't answer my question. From what I understand The time between frames is ~7ms on a 144Hz screen. That makes me think that there is no difference between displayed frames at all for almost 7ms. That would mean (If I'm right) that a 4ms monitor would display the same images a 1ms monitor would with no difference at all since the 4ms threshold occurs between frames changing. This would mean that anyone, pro gamers included, would be able to react on a frame by frame basis just like the next guy.

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

Just now, ATFink said:

Wow, that's crazy they can react that fast, but that doesn't answer my question. From what I understand The time between frames is ~7ms on a 144Hz screen. That makes me think that there is no difference between displayed frames at all for almost 7ms. That would mean (If I'm right) that a 4ms monitor would display the same images a 1ms monitor would with no difference at all since the 4ms threshold occurs between frames changing. This would mean that anyone, pro gamers included, would be able to react on a frame by frame basis just like the next guy.

Not completely sure, but I think you're right.

1 minute ago, BoogieBeast said:

Alright, thanks guys, im going for it.

GLHF