Why do we need usb wireless adapters?

Carlos1010
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
Just now, Carlos1010 said:

And finally how do you know if a motherboard on amazon/NCIX has it? Does it just say WIFI after the name of the board or something?

Most boards will have something like "WiFi" or "AC" in the name. It will be listed in the specifications as well. 

For example, something like an MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-MPOWER-MAX-AC.html#hero-overview

Hi all,

Just have a quick question about wireless adapters and why we need them. Firstly why do we need them in the first place, don't our motherboards already have them? Also what are the benefits of having them? Thanks for your responses!

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

Most desktop motherboards do not have Wireless network adaptors built in. Typically, it is something you find on mITX and higher end boards. 

some mobos do, some don't. certainly wasn't something that came standard a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Most desktop motherboards do not have Wireless network adaptors built in. Typically, it is something you find on mITX and higher end boards. 

So does that mean that most people use these things? Because on my dad's PC I can't find one and he is connected to a wireless network. Thanks for all your responses too!

So does that mean that most people use these things? Because on my dad's PC I can't find one and he is connected to a wireless network. Thanks for all your responses too!

Some motherboards have them built in, and it's possible that your father's PC has an adapter somewhere. Adapters are also pretty tiny nowadays where the majority of the device's length is consumed by the USB connector itself.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Depends if you use wireless or not. Personally, I use a hardwire connection on my PC, so I don't need wireless. 

Most pre-built PCs will come with some form of wireless interface, either in a USB adaptor or a PCI/PCIe wireless adaptor. There are also boards that have built in wireless adaptors, but they're the minority. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Depends if you use wireless or not. Personally, I use a hardwire connection on my PC, so I don't need wireless. 

Most pre-built PCs will come with some form of wireless interface, either in a USB adaptor or a PCI/PCIe wireless adaptor. There are also boards that have built in wireless adaptors, but they're the minority. 

And finally how do you know if a motherboard on amazon/NCIX has it? Does it just say WIFI after the name of the board or something?

Most boards will have something like "WiFi" or "AC" in the name. It will be listed in the specifications as well. 

For example, something like an MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-MPOWER-MAX-AC.html#hero-overview

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What other kinds of WiFi adapters are there excluding USB and motherboard that you can plug in your PC?