Internet Speed for a Student House

PC_Build_Noob
Go to solution Solved by brwainer,
47 minutes ago, PC_Build_Noob said:

Hi, so I'm moving into private accommodation at university next year and was wondering what sort of internet speed 7 heavyish users would need?

This is for the UK, we're likely to be doing a mixture of gaming, streaming, social networking etc.

Gaming requires stable and low latency, not so much speed. Streaming requires good upload, I'd shoot for 6Mbps per person who might be streaming at once, in addition to a few extra Mbps for normal traffic (everything packet of ~1.5MB you download has to be acknowledged, which requires some upload, as well as requesting pages, etc). Social networking doesn't use very much. 

You can get a basic number like this: For download speed, take the max number of video streams people would be watching at once and multiply by 6 (6 Mbps is the approximate rate of 1080p on youtube, netflix, etc). This gives a decent number because you probably won't be using that max number frequently. For upload speed, take the max number of people who might be uploading their own stream and multiply by 6, then add 2-3.

So if you expect 6 videos at once being watched, and 2 people streaming, that would be 36Mbps down and 14-15Mbps up. Then you take that number and see what the close packages from the ISP(s) are

Hi, so I'm moving into private accommodation at university next year and was wondering what sort of internet speed 7 heavyish users would need?

This is for the UK, we're likely to be doing a mixture of gaming, streaming, social networking etc.

Thats really an individual matter, I would be content with 15mbps with 7 people, others would like 150mbps. Its a matter of what you do and how often you are all on at once. 

Though just air balling, I would say 50-60ish should be good, lower if you all can avoid all doing heavy task at once, more if you plan to download the new movies while playing halo 7 fold.

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/how-much-internet-speed-do-i-need/survey

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

47 minutes ago, PC_Build_Noob said:

Gaming requires stable and low latency, not so much speed. Streaming requires good upload, I'd shoot for 6Mbps per person who might be streaming at once, in addition to a few extra Mbps for normal traffic (everything packet of ~1.5MB you download has to be acknowledged, which requires some upload, as well as requesting pages, etc). Social networking doesn't use very much. 

You can get a basic number like this: For download speed, take the max number of video streams people would be watching at once and multiply by 6 (6 Mbps is the approximate rate of 1080p on youtube, netflix, etc). This gives a decent number because you probably won't be using that max number frequently. For upload speed, take the max number of people who might be uploading their own stream and multiply by 6, then add 2-3.

So if you expect 6 videos at once being watched, and 2 people streaming, that would be 36Mbps down and 14-15Mbps up. Then you take that number and see what the close packages from the ISP(s) are

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: