PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

This week on Tech Quickie, Enjoy!

Linus said an EVGA 430W is fine?

Well, they're not wrong, technically. It won't kill your computer as it doesn't break ATX spec. But it may give you stability problems if you push past 350W, might not allow your computer the time to recover data in the event of a power cut, and will die soon if you push it hard.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

This week on Tech Quickie, Enjoy!

Yeah I just saw that >_<

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Energycore said:

He said

"Don't cheap out on the PSU, and I don't mean avoid a PSU from a well rated PSU from a reputable manufacture just because it is on sale, if you can find such a deal go for it..."

I agree with all of that, but the PSU in the back drop was the W1 and the editor gave it the tick of approval.

"...What I am talking about is when you find out  your rig only uses 250 to 300W and deciding it is okay for some bargain basement unit with questionable  packaging from a brand you never heard of"

Well, they're not wrong, technically. It won't kill your computer as it doesn't break ATX spec. But it may give you stability problems if you push past 350W, might not allow your computer the time to recover data in the event of a power cut, and will die soon if you push it hard.

Can you tell me anything about this PSU? 

It is an INWIN powerman IP-P460Q3-2 TR

There was a jonnyguru thread about it, but that basically stated it was made my INWIN, do you think it is safe  enough for an older, less power hungry PC?

(www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93)

IMG_20161126_173820.jpg

IMG20161126173237.jpg

On 2016-11-25 at 10:22 AM, Kartongplasma said:

Thanks, i'll look for deals for them today. but black friday is really overhyped in sweden. they spend so much on commercials for only like 9% on most stuff.

On 2016-11-25 at 1:01 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Between the RMx and RMi The RMi has an FDB fan (superior to the rifle-bearing fan in the RMx), Corsair Link (cool software) compatiblity, and allows for the user to switch between multi-rail and single-rail configurations for the PSU to operate. I'd get the RMi for the fan alone but the RMx is still an amazing unit.

Just installed my RM850i, i know it's extremely overpowered but it was the only one they had and it was on sale. I tried throwing Cinebench and Heaven Benchmark at it and it runs at 0 rpm all the time.

9 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Can you tell me anything about this PSU? 

It is an INWIN powerman IP-P460Q3-2 TR

There was a jonnyguru thread about it, but that basically stated it was made my INWIN, do you think it is safe  enough for an older, less power hungry PC?

(www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93)

No info I could dig up

It's probably fine for a system that won't pull more than 160W like a HTPC or an office PC, it doesn't look gutless.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Energycore said:

By time you even get past 350W your computer is probably pretty expensive.

13 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

By time you even get past 350W your computer is probably pretty expensive.

It's not hard to go past 350W. Grab a bunch of used parts, if those include a 220W HD 7970, you're going over while peak gaming.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

It's not hard to go past 350W. Grab a bunch of used parts, if those include a 220W HD 7970, you're going over while peak gaming.

With new parts it's hard. Also, it shows right here the EVGA is capable of 420W http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=431 so no going past 350W is not problematic.

1 minute ago, turkey3_scratch said:

With new parts it's hard.

Yes

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Can I ask just sort of an off-topic but PSU-related question? For those of you who do like PSUs, how come you mostly stick to this site? Why not also venture over to the jonnyguru.com forums and the other forums around the interwebs? I'm just trying to collect information, sort of from a statistical standpoint.

1 hour ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Can I ask just sort of an off-topic but PSU-related question? For those of you who do like PSUs, how come you mostly stick to this site? Why not also venture over to the jonnyguru.com forums and the other forums around the interwebs? I'm just trying to collect information, sort of from a statistical standpoint.

I haven't felt the need to use another forum :P

Besides people who ask at JG need less help than those who ask here, because at least the JG folks know of one PSU review site out there.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, turkey3_scratch said:

People on JG are like /r/headphones when it comes to their passion and they get argumentative over stuff that's only slightly relevant. I'd prefer to stick here where I can help people.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

8 hours ago, Energycore said:

No info I could dig up

It's probably fine for a system that won't pull more than 160W like a HTPC or an office PC, it doesn't look gutless.

I pulled it from a computer that had a P4 2.4B, 512MB RAM and a 40GB HDD, maybe that is why that custom made computer has lasted so long, I believe it was used everyday until a couple of months ago. (Most computer I get have awful PSUs, one had generic 240V only PSU and the label was so generic that it stated it was 115V only) 

I'll put it in my HTPC computer, I want my seasonic, so it cannot have it. (alternatively, the HTPC could have a 12 Year old FSP with no sata power, 12 year old LITEON that is extremely small (but ATX) and has no sata power or a 15 Year old Delta with no sata power) 

1 minute ago, MistletoeHoe said:

Whats wrong with the EVGA 700b unit? For the price of $40 seems decent

Because the 450B is all anyone with a rig that would be sensibly powered by a low-end PSU should be buying. 700W for a super budget unit is idiotic. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Because the 450B is all anyone with a rig that would be sensibly powered by a low-end PSU should be buying. 700W for a super budget unit is idiotic. 

You replied quickly.

11 minutes ago, MistletoeHoe said:

Whats wrong with the EVGA 700b unit? For the price of $40 seems decent

EVGA ***B series are not amazing, they are low end PSUs, so you shouldn't be powering nice things on them, so removing the point of the 700B.

EVGA has made much more stupid 700W/750W PSUs that no one should buy. AFAICT, this PSU (http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-N1-0750-L1) is designed for GTX 480 SLI with a FX 9590 on a ASRock 970 Pro3 in a room full of oxygen.

6 minutes ago, alphacore said:

How about this Rosewill Glacier? Is it worth something? Didn't see them at the front page.
User Manual about it.

Hide contents

17-182-340-07.jpg

No reviews on it. The OEM of it is Andyson, so it is probably fine, but I would get something else, a PSU that is known good.

15 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

No reviews on it. The OEM of it is Andyson, so it is probably fine, but I would get something else, a PSU that is known good.

Yeah, I already plan to buy EVGA GQ somewhere soon. Just curious since some friends are apparently using it.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

I follow the thread :P

I do to :P.

I stopped following the Cases and PSUs subforum since you almost always had replied to all the threads when I got up in the morning, and it often would fill up my notifications page. When you are not on, very few people are on to reply with garbage.

I am confused. Some of the Seasonic SS-400ET are 80plus bronze certified while others are only 80plus certified, they both appear to be very similar internally.

I also looked on 80plus.org and there is only one certification for it and it is very different to the Antec EA-380/430, Corsair VX450/CX400  (Edit) and Seasonic S12II 380/430/M12 II 430.

EA-380: https://plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/Antec_EA-380_380W_80PLUS_Report.pdf

EA-430: https://plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/Antec_EA-430_430W_80PLUS_Report.pdf

VX 450: https://plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/CORSAIR_CMPSU-450VX_450W_Report.pdf

CX 400: https://plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/SP549_CORSAIR_CMPSU-400CX_ATX12V_400W_Report.pdf

ET 400: https://plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/SEASONIC_SS-400ET_ECOS 1345_400W_Report.pdf

S12II 380: https://plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/Seasonic_SS-380GB_380W_80PLUS_Report.pdf

S12II 430: https://plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/Seasonic_SS-430GB_430W_80PLUS_Report.pdf

M12II 430: https://plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/SEASONIC-SS-430GM-430W-Report.pdf

Another thing, what the hell is the difference between the EA-380 and EA-430? They have the same connectors and the 430W has only 16A on one of the 12V rails compared with the 380W which has 17A on both.

EA-380 http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=705002

EA-430 http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=705003

More but unrelated Seasonic confusion.

I have a Seasonic SS-250SFD right next to me, it says it is 200-240V only, but there are some that are 100-240V compatible. I don't understand. Mine also has a UL number which also doesn't make any sense since  it cannot be sold in the US since it is incompatible with the US power grid, so why would it list that.