PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 minute ago, Scitesh said:

Should I  go for  corsair hx850 (old unit)

Should be fine.

What is it going to power?

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Should be fine.

What is it going to power?

My  budget  builder rig

I7-3770k  with  stock  cooler Q

H61  intel

8GB  ram

2TB HHD

250 Gb SSD(still  to  buy)

1070  amp

Few  led  strips

The Corsair GS units have the worst RMA rates ever for a Corsair PSU. Those things would drop like flies, I think they had like a 10% or more RMA rate. The new VS units are indeed made by HEC Compucase. There is a Jonnyguru thread about this here http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13667 where Jonnyguru says "Divert your eyes" so I don't know if that's a joke or admittance to it being crappy. Anyway, feast your eyes.

_F1463691_zpsbutdujht.jpg

10 hours ago, Scitesh said:

My  budget  builder rig

I7-3770k  with  stock  cooler Q

H61  intel

8GB  ram

2TB HHD

250 Gb SSD(still  to  buy)

1070  amp

Few  led  strips

Yeah it's completely fine for you :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

12 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

The Corsair GS units have the worst RMA rates ever for a Corsair PSU. Those things would drop like flies, I think they had like a 10% or more RMA rate. The new VS units are indeed made by HEC Compucase. There is a Jonnyguru thread about this here http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13667 where Jonnyguru says "Divert your eyes" so I don't know if that's a joke or admittance to it being crappy. Anyway, feast your eyes.

_F1463691_zpsbutdujht.jpg

Erm, well I dunno what I expected...

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The Corsair VS looks similar to the Cougar LX but with group-regulation .

Anyways, Jonny has a negative view on HEC, as he visited HEC factory a few times a while back. He bought it up a few times that there's poor temperature / humidity control where the components are stored, leaks in the roof when it rains, etc. I think he mentioned something about a fire breaking out too...

Since Jonny was Corsair Marketing Manager at the time, he didn't have much input regarding what the PSU department does, and the collab between Corsair and HEC was done by the previous product manager. When you think about the condition that these PSUs are being stored /  built in, even if one review sample does good on review sites, you are going to questioned the platform reliability when it being sold in mass quantity, so the "divert your eyes" comment may have stem from that.

On 23/11/2016 at 0:03 PM, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What is it powering?

Evga gtx 980 sc

Msi z97 gaming 5

Intel i7-4790k

Two wd green 2tb and 3tb

Crucial mx300 250gb ssd

8 minutes ago, Kartongplasma said:

Evga gtx 980 sc

Msi z97 gaming 5

Intel i7-4790k

Two wd green 2tb and 3tb

Crucial mx300 250gb ssd

I would not power this system with a CX600 for a prolonged period of time

43 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I would not power this system with a CX600 for a prolonged period of time

It has been running with it for about a year. Im looking at the rmi and rmx series as a replacement, what is the difference between them?

1 minute ago, Kartongplasma said:

It has been running with it for about a year. Im looking at the rmi and rmx series as a relacement, what is the difference between them?

Between the RMx and RMi The RMi has an FDB fan (superior to the rifle-bearing fan in the RMx), Corsair Link (cool software) compatiblity, and allows for the user to switch between multi-rail and single-rail configurations for the PSU to operate. I'd get the RMi for the fan alone but the RMx is still an amazing unit.

9 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Between the RMx and RMi The RMi has an FDB fan (superior to the rifle-bearing fan in the RMx), Corsair Link (cool software) compatiblity, and allows for the user to switch between multi-rail and single-rail configurations for the PSU to operate. I'd get the RMi for the fan alone but the RMx is still an amazing unit.

Thanks, i'll look for deals for them today. but black friday is really overhyped in sweden. they spend so much on commercials for only like 9% on most stuff.

Is FSP Aurum S pretty much the same thing as Aurum Pro and Aurum or are there some differences? I can't find that anywhere.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Is FSP Aurum S pretty much the same thing as Aurum Pro and Aurum or are there some differences? I can't find that anywhere.

Aurum with a single 12V rail, so not so good.

5 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Aurum with single rail, so not so good.

I mean except Aurum being somewhat modular. xD

I see that Aurum 700w for instance got pretty good reviews, nothing mind breaking but nothing bad. Mind explaining what are the real issues with it? 

I also see that XFX 550 Pro got knocked down to Tier 3, last time I checked (many months ago) I remember it was in 2 iirc, and it got a silver recommendation from johnnyguru, so how come it's ranked so low?

3 hours ago, Kartongplasma said:

Thanks, i'll look for deals for them today. but black friday is really overhyped in sweden. they spend so much on commercials for only like 9% on most stuff.

You don't really need a high-end PSU tbh, just a Corsair CX550M (grey sticker one) or even better since you're in EU: A Corsair Vengeance which is the same platform, but multi-rail, better caps and a FDB fan.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=492

Don't bother with JG's value score, Tazz themselves compared it to a much worse CX500 and concluded that somehow that was a better value than this (a Vengeance PSU will easily outlast a CX500 two or threefold).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

I mean except Aurum being somewhat modular. xD

I see that Aurum 700w for instance got pretty good reviews, nothing mind breaking but nothing bad. Mind explaining what are the real issues with it? 

I also see that XFX 550 Pro got knocked down to Tier 3, last time I checked (many months ago) I remember it was in 2 iirc, and it got a silver recommendation from johnnyguru, so how come it's ranked so low?

The Aurum isn't "bad", it is just not good, it is okay and nowhere near as good as what it should be, so it is a bad purchase to make.

Look at this thread about the NEX-G (same platform), the Voltage out is less than Stella.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1476935/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-supernova-nex650g-750g-aka-g1

The XFX Pro series hasn't changed (Pro Gold: Tier 1, Pro XXX: Tier 2, Pro Bronze: Tier 3, )

Look at @Aniallation's un-updated tier, I think that was last updated early this year.

26 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The Aurum isn't "bad", it is just not good, it is okay and nowhere near as good as what it should be, so it is a bad purchase to make.

Look at this thread about the NEX-G (same platform), the Voltage out is less than Stella.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1476935/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-supernova-nex650g-750g-aka-g1

The XFX Pro series hasn't changed (Pro Gold: Tier 1, Pro XXX: Tier 2, Pro Bronze: Tier 3, )

Look at @Aniallation's un-updated tier, I think that was last updated early this year.

It must've been even longer then since I've looked. 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

As stated, the Aurum S is pretty much a single rail version of the Aurum - based on the ACRF topology + group regulation. It's a design that doesn't too well beyond ~600w.

The Aurum Pro, on the other hand, is based on a much better, more modern LLC design with DC-DC that scale up to the 1200w range. A few years back it did offer good value in the high-end market. Of course, with power supplies like the EVGA G2 / P2, Corsair HXi / RMi / RMx, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11, Seasonic X, etc. being within the same price range, that's no longer the case.

2 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

FSP also is releasing the Raider II.

medium.jpg

Hmm. How does one tell a PSU design by looking at its innards?

I see some coils, capacitors, the heatsink with the switching FETs, and the filter on the AC receptacle. But I still can't quite make out how it's laid out electronically.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I see some coils, capacitors, the heatsink with the switching FETs, and the filter on the AC receptacle. But I still can't quite make out how it's laid out electronically.

I see a black PCB so it's obviously at least a tier 3 :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I'm not very good at it either, I suppose also without underside pics it can be difficult. I know it is DC-DC. I will say it looks awfully bland.

8 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

full.jpg

i dunno, doesn't the thing look kinda bare? looks like there's barely anything in it...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Ya that's pretty bland. But think of it this way, if they manage to make it perform decently, it'll probably be awfully cheap to manufacture (since it's so bare) which hopefully would mean the ability for them to price it low and competitive.