Digital Backup of Console Games

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I got it working with Daemon Tools Lite but some of the discs just won't read. I figure I'll need to get an extremely high quality optical drive to read this junk. Spent $50 on the one I have and I'm having some annoying issues. 

Hi, so I was wondering if there is a way to make a backup of a physical disk in OS X for console games. I tried making an image (ISO file) of a console game disk in disk utility and I got an error message. This seemed to work fine with my Windows OS disks and media but I can't seem to get it working for PS2 disks. Any ideas? Would it be better to just use something on the PC side of things? I heard about Dameon Tools, but I'm not sure if that would work and if best or not. Thanks 

1 minute ago, IAmLamp said:

Hi, so I was wondering if there is a way to make a backup of a physical disk in OS X for console games. I tried making an image (ISO file) of a console game disk in disk utility and I got an error message. This seemed to work fine with my Windows OS disks and media but I can't seem to get it working for PS2 disks. Any ideas? Would it be better to just use something on the PC side of things? I heard about Dameon Tools, but I'm not sure if that would work and if best or not. Thanks 

Nope. Not possible. DRM is too strong now days and it dosen't work

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

3 hours ago, RGProductions said:

Nope. Not possible. DRM is too strong now days and it dosen't work

They won't allow you to make digital backups? 

Just now, IAmLamp said:

They won't allow you to make digital backups? 

nope.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

3 hours ago, RGProductions said:

nope.

WTF? That's retarded. 

16 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

WTF? That's retarded. 

I don't know what the law is where you are, but this is definitely illegal in the UK. Yes I know it's stupid especially if you buy a film and want to watch it on your phone etc. Even something like ripping music off a CD isn't really legal.

I edit my posts a lot.

3 hours ago, MrDrWho13 said:

I don't know what the law is where you are, but this is definitely illegal in the UK. Yes I know it's stupid especially if you buy a film and want to watch it on your phone etc. Even something like ripping music off a CD isn't really legal.

I just figure I would do so because it's so easy to scratch a physical disk even on accident. This honestly just gives so many more reasons why to love PCMR (No fanboy wars please). What a joke. 

Wait, then how do people get ISO files of console games? There's like millions floating around on the internet out there. Do they break/crack the DRM code or something? 

34 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

It's actually legal, but you must own the original copy, and if the original becomes unplayable, you must destroy the backup. You can copy your entire game collection legally, but can't play them legally as that requires bypassing copy protection measures.

Downloading films is also legal, distribution isn't (thats how people get screwed over for downloading films through torrent, they get shafted for the re-distribution, not the downloading itself).

3 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It's actually legal, but you must own the original copy, and if the original becomes unplayable, you must destroy the backup. You can copy your entire game collection legally, but can't play them legally as that requires bypassing copy protection measures.

Downloading films is also legal, distribution isn't (thats how people get screwed over for downloading films through torrent, they get shafted for the re-distribution, not the downloading itself).

Okay interesting, so....... do you know of a way that would work? 

54 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I'm sure that they made it legal then recently illegal again. I'll double check my facts.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33566933/ripping-music-and-films-illegal-again-after-high-court-overturns-new-law

I edit my posts a lot.

47 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

I'm sure that they made it legal then recently illegal again. I'll double check my facts.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33566933/ripping-music-and-films-illegal-again-after-high-court-overturns-new-law

Well fuck me sideways!

Doubt that will ever be enforced though. I'm sure the courts have more important things to worry about than those hardened criminals who rip music to a USB drive to play in the car, instead of carrying 40+ fragile plastic discs around.

I got it working with Daemon Tools Lite but some of the discs just won't read. I figure I'll need to get an extremely high quality optical drive to read this junk. Spent $50 on the one I have and I'm having some annoying issues.