What is thermal throttling?

Components have temperature limits before they take potential damage, thermal throttling is when a component approaches this limit and then lowers usage/clock speed to lower the temperatures to safer levels

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

26 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Hello guys!!

What is meant by thermal throttling?

When a computer component (eg. a CPU or a graphics card) detects that it is becoming dangerously hot it will turn down it's clockspeed and usage to cool itself down and stop itself from overheating and possibly breaking.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 hour ago, Tech Inquisition said:

When you are trying to hard to solve a problem and start sweating... You become less effective... Same concept...

... Not quite.

It's more like starting to lift a couch, realizing that if you exert yourself any more you'll give yourself a hernia, and so deciding to let the couch down a little and just move it more slowly.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

By default, there is a limit to how high of a temperature that your CPU can reach. If the temperature gets to high, the motherboard forces the CPU down to a lower clock speed to prevent self-destruction. This is common when playing heavy intensive games for long periods of time and/or by overclocking your CPU. Sometimes if the temperature gets too high, your computer will just do a force shut down to protect itself.