updating RIg

hey guys,

il try to keep this as simple as possible. 

im running 6 monitors for a flight sim in eyefinity. 

2x R9 290 and 

1x R9 240

3 monitors at 5760 x 1080 ( set up as one display group)

3 auxiliary monitors to display instruments.

Can this be on on Nvidia ? i really want a gtx 1080 (even a gtx 960 to run the 3 auxiliary monitors )

but if it cant do this then il just wait for the AMD vega 10 series to ocme out.  

From what i can gather Nvidia Surround can run 3 monitors and only one more as an accessory display. 

OR if i dont run Nvidia Surround can i just set up the 3 monitors at 5760 x 1080 and have the other 3 on their own.

IF the desktop resolution of the primary monitor is 5760 x 1080p then the game lets me select that resolution in-game. 

i know this is complicated but any insight would be much appreciated. 

cheers

Multi-monitor on Nvidia is a hassle to set up but it works. Not sure how many displays though.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

A single 1080 isn't much faster than dual 290's to begin with, so while you would see a bit more performance, it wouldn't be ground breaking.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Multi-monitor on Nvidia is a hassle to set up but it works. Not sure how many displays though.

The initial setup is indeed a pain in the ass, but overall it does have marginally better multimonitor support when running surround over eyefinity.

@Javed shamim Not sure how the game setup is, but if the instruments are a part of the in-game overlay, then I don't think you'd be able to pull three more panels, since the absolute max support monitors in surround is 3 for any one game. Also, not completely sure how surround affects more than 3 monitors, as personally I've only ever run three monitors. If the instruments can be pulled from the game, and run outside of it then you could probably get away with having them on your aux displays/

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Not sure how many monitors does GTX 1080 support, but it does support that resolution.

At least that's what it says in specs for this card.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 minutes ago, Atmos said:

A single 1080 isn't much faster than dual 290's to begin with, so while you would see a bit more performance, it wouldn't be ground breaking.

The initial setup is indeed a pain in the ass, but overall it does have marginally better multimonitor support when running surround over eyefinity.

@Javed shamim Not sure how the game setup is, but if the instruments are a part of the in-game overlay, then I don't think you'd be able to pull three more panels, since the absolute max support monitors in surround is 3 for any one game. Also, not completely sure how surround affects more than 3 monitors, as personally I've only ever run three monitors. If the instruments can be pulled from the game, and run outside of it then you could probably get away with having them on your aux displays/

yeh thanks for the reply. 

yeh the intention is to eventually run GTX 1080 strix in sli but its expensive so one at a time. 

as for the game, yeh the instrument panels can pop out and are like small windows that can be placed anywhere. 

as long as i can set up either -

1) Surround 5760 x 1080 and 3 auxiliary monitors 

OR 

2) Just set up 3 monitors as ONE display at 5760 x 1080 and have the other 3 allocated around it.

the only reason i went with amd 3 yrs ago was because of eyefinity. I want to go back to nvidia but yeh, need to 

make sure i can do this first.

Just now, Javed shamim said:

yeh the intention is to eventually run GTX 1080 strix in sli but its expensive so one at a time. 

as for the game, yeh the instrument windows cna be placed anywhere. 

OR 

2) Just set up 3 monitors as ONE display at 5760 x 1080 and have the other 3 allocated around it.

the only reason i went with amd 3 yrs ago was because of eyefinity. I want to go back to nvidia but yeh, need to 

I think 3 displays is the max on Nvidia
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technology.html

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

11 hours ago, Javed shamim said:

as for the game, yeh the instrument panels can pop out and are like small windows that can be placed anywhere. 

OR 

Double checking with some other sources, it does appear that you can run more than 3 monitors while using nvidia surround, though the actual program will only use the three. The others though do apparently still work as auxiliary monitors. When you turn on surround it should ask which monitors you want to run it on, you then select your three main panels and let the others be for various other things.

@don_svetlio you are right though, nvidia surround only works with a max of three monitors and a resolution of like 78[something]x1920. however, he doesn't need surround running on the extra panels. And according to a few other sources it does in fact run when you have more than three panels, but you have to choose which three to run it on, the others just take over as axillary displays that can't display the game, which is fine since he can pop the instr. out of his game.

one of the sources, a quote from a paulshardware user

well you can only use 3 for games the 4th will always be an informational or movie screen. I have this setup as well 3 accross bottom 1 up top middle. Just go into the driver hit surround it will ask what 3 monitors you want to use for surround. Pick them then put then in the right order setup bezzle correction and that part is done. Now go back into driver and activate multiple monitors and check the one that is not checked. Hit apply and they will all be on and ready to go.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 hours ago, Atmos said:

Double checking with some other sources, it does appear that you can run more than 3 monitors while using nvidia surround, though the actual program will only use the three. The others though do apparently still work as auxiliary monitors. When you turn on surround it should ask which monitors you want to run it on, you then select your three main panels and let the others be for various other things.

@don_svetlio you are right though, nvidia surround only works with a max of three monitors and a resolution of like 78[something]x1920. however, he doesn't need surround running on the extra panels. And according to a few other sources it does in fact run when you have more than three panels, but you have to choose which three to run it on, the others just take over as axillary displays that can't display the game, which is fine since he can pop the instr. out of his game.

one of the sources, a quote from a paulshardware user

Thanks for the reply mate. Appreciate it. 

Yeh nvidia has confirmed that running 

3 in surround and having ONE accessory monitor is possible. 

I hope that it's possible to have 3 accessory displays. Without the gpu driver blacking out 2 of the 3 accessory displays. 

I emailed nvidia regarding this Because I don't want to spend $1000 on a gpu and then find out I can't do it.  That would be disastrous.  

No reply as yet. Not surprised really. 

But you have given me confidence that it may just work :)

2 hours ago, Javed shamim said:

Thanks for the reply mate. Appreciate it. 

Yeh nvidia has confirmed that running 

3 in surround and having ONE accessory monitor is possible. 

I hope that it's possible to have 3 accessory displays. Without the gpu driver blacking out 2 of the 3 accessory displays. 

I emailed nvidia regarding this Because I don't want to spend $1000 on a gpu and then find out I can't do it.  That would be disastrous.  

No reply as yet. Not surprised really. 

But you have given me confidence that it may just work :)

it might require using a different card to display, but anything would do the job, even one of the crappy 20$ gt 210's

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post. But yes it can be done. I run NV surround with my GTX980ti without an issue. I have 3 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Core i7 3770K @ 4.1Ghz (stock voltages) H100i, 32gig of RAM (9-9-9-24), 500gig Samsung EVO 850, 6 Monitors. GTX980ti, R9 380