Need Opinions! i5 6600 r9 380

well if im correct, pc partpicker only allows you to see compatible items so your memory should be fine

The i5 6600 isn't worth the extra price over the i5 6500. I'd shoot for the i6 6500. The V300 is also a pretty bad SSD, get a ADATA SP550 instead.

The RAM will automatically downclock to 2133MHz so you're fine.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The i5 6600 isn't worth the extra price over the i5 6500. I'd shoot for the i6 6500. The V300 is also a pretty bad SSD, get a ADATA SP550 instead.

The RAM will automatically downclock to 2133MHz so you're fine.

actually i already bought the ssd from a store and pcpartpicker didnt have it. i think its a v400. any better? and i also i already bought the i5 6600 so maybe its not worth it but im gonna let it pass, but thanks for the input!

4 minutes ago, BenKavanagh said:

actually i already bought the ssd from a store and pcpartpicker didnt have it. i think its a v400. any better? and i also i already bought the i5 6600 so maybe its not worth it but im gonna let it pass, but thanks for the input!

so what are you buying?

the ram will downclock to 2133mhz...so if you,re paying extra for faster ram then it,s not worth it in this case...the board i think will not let you run it any faster than 2133mhz...anything above that is considered as ''overclocking'' by intel including loading the XMP profile of the RAM which would automaticaly adjust the speed and timings for the sticks...you would need a more expensive Z170 chipset motherboard to load the XMP profile and/or overclock the memory to higher than 2133mhz.

That said, 2133mhz is plenty fast enough.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, cangath said:

so what are you buying?

mobo and gpu but anything can still be returned if i think its worth it

10 minutes ago, BenKavanagh said:

mobo and gpu but anything can still be return if i think its worth it

the SSD is not a really fast one, but it's still better than a hard drive...i have one exactly like this but mine is old and i think it was before they ''downgraded'' it's controler or some shit like that...i think it's not very fast nowadays...other than that...i think you should have settled for the i5-6500 and spend a bit more on the GPU but if you already have the CPU then i would stick with it.

RAM...save money there. (read my previous post*)

Also, clearly you,re on a tight budget so i would have bought way cheaper peripherals...but then maybe you want to be set for a while in which case it's all good the deathadder mouse is amazing i've been using one for the past 10 years+ and it has never let me down i just replaced my old deathadder last week actually and it was a little over 7 years old or something...the left click randomly stopped working from time to time so i got annoyed and ordered the new chroma.

Also for your ram i see why you went with a single stick and it's a wise choice as it will allow you to trow in another 8GB stick and run 16GB in dual-channel mode in the future...which will slightly improve your performance in memory intensive applications...some games even benefit from faster RAM but to notice the difference you need a high-end GPU configuration because those improvements are in the very-high framerates areas...and games that benefit from this are few and far apart for the most part...but anyting CPU intensive such as some MMO's and RTS games for example do slightly benefit from faster memory.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

snip

Logan had said in a video when the v300 memory chip fiasco was about, but he said that kingston said they had switched back to the faster stuff. Not that I would buy the ssd right now, because that bait'n'switch shit is dumb, but since he already has it no need to return it.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide