Wire a cat 5E cable?

bgibbz

So I have my entire network setup in a utility closet in my basement. I want to wire a cat5e Ethernet cable to a room directly above it. I noticed that there already is a cat 5E cable running directly to where I need it, but the wire terminates at a telephone line jack, with two of the 4 twisted pairs not in use. How could I trace the cable into the utility closet so I can rewire it into an Ethernet cable? is there like some multimeter trick or something?

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Use a tone generator and probe?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They sell ethernet/phone line test kits that you can use. Or you can do it the old fashion way of tugging on it. You could also plug a phone into the jack, and then just unplug one telephone line at a time from the panel until the phone goes out. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5v on one side

check if its 5v? :P

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Use a tone generator and probe?

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

They sell ethernet/phone line test kits that you can use. Or you can do it the old fashion way of tugging on it. You could also plug a phone into the jack, and then just unplug one telephone line at a time from the panel until the phone goes out. 

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

5v on one side

check if its 5v? :P

Thanks all, I just stuck my phones camera in the wall, and saw that it joined with a cable tv cable, and there was only one of these conjoined cables in the basement, so I think I found it. Thanks!

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

The easiest method would be to inspect the cable jacket, most network cables have a "counter" every meter so if you see something like "29103" near the jack, about one meter further on the cable you should see either "29102" or "29104" ... once you know if it goes up or down, you can go to the closet and find the cable which has the number closest to the last number plus or minus the meters you estimate the total length of the cable would be.

Once you're fairly sure you found the cable, you could short two of the wires in that jack that aren't in use and then with a multimeter in continuity mode or resistance mode, you could probe the jack with the probes on those two wires you chose to short on the other end. You should get continuity (since you shorted the pair at other end) or.. if the cable is too long the resistance may be high enough that the meter won't beep in continuity mode but will show some resistance in resistance mode (most multimeter consider continuity something like any resistance below 10 ohm)

So now you definitely know the cable and you can install two new network jacks... configure the wires in both jacks the same way, choose one of the arrangements below:

18lqf3uc4wj6hgif.jpg

I prefer to use the one on the right, but both work exactly the same.