Either reallly basic or really weird, let me know.

Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

That's just the specs Intel followed when they built/chose a 600w psu for the system. Don't worry about it. 

I do question your choice of motherboards/CPUs as LGA771 is pretty dated (and not great for gaming). Do you know what the rest of the parts are yet and/or how much you're spending?  

Background:

So this is my first computer build and I decided to jump in feet first by listening to that LTT video where linus built a "gaming" computer from old server parts. I've learned a lot with simple internet serches, and a fair bit of reading. This one however has me a bit stumped.

Now the question: 

The Photo is of a page in the manual for my intel motherboard talking about the power supply intel designed to be used with this motherboard. What I am confused about is if in the "notes" section under the table is just reffering to the psu intel designed, or if these are rules that any psu must conform to when using this motherboard? 

Any help is apreciated, even if it's just helping me find my special helmet :-)

Oh and first post! Woo!!!

Screenshot_2016-07-15-09-59-55.png

That's just the specs Intel followed when they built/chose a 600w psu for the system. Don't worry about it. 

I do question your choice of motherboards/CPUs as LGA771 is pretty dated (and not great for gaming). Do you know what the rest of the parts are yet and/or how much you're spending?  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Awsome! Thanks for the info. My choice was one of ignorance and excitement pure and simple. I'm not expecting to much from it really and chalking it up to experiance, but at this point I want to finish it and see what it'll do I guess. From here on I'm planning on going with more modern options to put towards a new motherboard cpu ram setup if I'm compleatly unhappy with it. Considering what I'm coming from though this will be an upgrade. (I hope) Also I'm not just looking for gaming im planning on using it for mostly everything.

Current: Compac cq-50 laptop running 32-bit Vista (Pity me!) 2 core amd processer.

12 minutes ago, Dbiked said:

Current: Compac cq-50 laptop running 32-bit Vista (Pity me!) 2 core amd processer.

Wait, you're putting an AMD CPU in an LGA771 board? That's not compatible. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It will work, trust me, givin the right juice! I work for ocean spray, I'm basicly a juice expert, I imagine 1.21 GigaWhats ought to work. Hahaha sorry I had to. No that's my current laptop that I'm going to attempt replacing with this server-stine monster. The chips I'm putting in this mother board are E5462's I got suckered in by that 1600 mhz FSB but whereI really buggered up was spending an embarasing amount of money for that FBDDR2 ram running at 800 mhz that (as I understand it now) isn't going to do diddly squat making this thing chooch any faster than if I'd just bought the regular old 667 mhz or whatever its.

If you're going to fuck up, you might as well do it royaly!

16 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I overlooked the last part of your first reply, sorry for those other two confusing posts. My current plan (If it's of intrest at this point).

Already purchased

CPU-A matched pair of xeon E5462's (2.8 GHz/1600 FSB speed/ 12MB Cash each)

Paid 30.00 after shipping

Motherboard-S5400sf

Paid 49.00 after shipping

RAM-16Gigs of FBDIMM2 (Running at 800 MHz)

Paid 90.00 after shipping

Heatsinks-Supermicro 2U SNK-P0025P

Paid 22.00 after shipping

Planned purchases

PSU-Evga 650 G1, G2 or NEX 750 powersupply, unsure at this point Leaning towards the 750 for the price.

Graphics Card-RX480 (Software seems to be on its side for the future) or a refurbished 980 or maybe the 1060 

Audio- Fiio Olympus e10

Case- home made out of acrylic

Storage-128 gig SSD as a boot drive and a 1 terabite hard drive (haven't started looking at those to much yet) or 500 Gig SSD with a 1 terabite hard drive. Obviously cost and performance will dictate what I end up with.

I'm sure I'm missing something but that gives you the idea I think.

Planned usage is as a dayly driver for school, 3D modeling, and hopeing to get 60 fps in most shooters playing at 1080p along with playing some sandbox style games at reasonable speeds and settings.

2 hours ago, Dbiked said:

Planned purchases

PSU-Evga 650 G1, G2 or NEX 750 powersupply, unsure at this point Leaning towards the 750 for the price.

Graphics Card-RX480 (Software seems to be on its side for the future) or a refurbished 980 or maybe the 1060 

Audio- Fiio Olympus e10

Case- home made out of acrylic

Storage-128 gig SSD as a boot drive and a 1 terabite hard drive (haven't started looking at those to much yet) or 500 Gig SSD with a 1 terabite hard drive. Obviously cost and performance will dictate what I end up with.

I'm sure I'm missing something but that gives you the idea I think.

Planned usage is as a dayly driver for school, 3D modeling, and hopeing to get 60 fps in most shooters playing at 1080p along with playing some sandbox style games at reasonable speeds and settings.

G1/NEX are the same product family, and aren't the best quality, so I wouldn't get either of those. The G2, GQ, GS, and B2 are all good quality units from EVGA. 

I'd avoid a 980 at this point, but you're CPU will massively bottleneck an RX480/1060.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hum. . . I was aware the cpu's would be bottle necking the graphics card but I was expecting only 10 to 15 percent. How would you determin the amount of bottle neck these cpu's would or are causing? Is it even quantifyable?

Thanks for the tips on PSU's where is it that the G1/NEX family fall short?

6 hours ago, Dbiked said:

Hum. . . I was aware the cpu's would be bottle necking the graphics card but I was expecting only 10 to 15 percent. How would you determin the amount of bottle neck these cpu's would or are causing? Is it even quantifyable?

Techspot usually does a CPU performance benchmark for every game they benchmark. They don't usually include C2Qs/Xeons, but you can roughly extrapolate. For the vast majority of games you'll only be able to utilize four cores at most with FX-level IPC. So performance will probably be somewhat similar to an FX CPU at 3ghz. 

I honestly don't know much about PSUs and so I don't remember what it was....possibly ripple. I would defer to @STRMfrmXMN

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Dbiked said:

They're of poorer quality and performance than equivalent EVGA units of today.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Thank you both for your help and advice.