There's really no point in getting a gtx 1060

c00face
12 hours ago, App4that said:

There is no SLI support from Nvidia, read my posts. Support from Nvidia is not required.

Why is it not required? How is it possible for Gigabyte, ASUS etc. to magically add SLI support to a GPU? If you can provide me a link to a reputable source I will believe you...

Take a look at the OFFICIAL SLI supported GPUs page from Nvidia:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/supported-gpus

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

14 hours ago, Briggsy said:

but why crossfire or SLI budget cards? I get that people want to have an option later on, but by the time you need more performance to buy the second card, the latest budget card will likely match SLI/crossfire performance, and will support newer technologies. And if you might need more performance sooner, than you are better off going with a better single card solution now. And to be honest, 480 or 1060 are monster cards for 1080p, which means if you need performance for a 1440p display (which cost a lot more than 1080p displays), you should probably also have the money for a 1070. I dunno, doubling up budget cards makes no sense to me, and never has.

It makes perfect sense to SLI 2 1060s if Nvidia's claims are true because:

GTX 1060=GTX 980

2xGTX 980>GTX 1080> GTX 1070

2xGTX 1060>GTX 1080>GTX 1070

So they decided that SLI isn't an option as:

2xGTX 1060= ≥

~$500

1xGTX 1080= ≥ ~$600

With the GTX 960 it didn't make any sense as it had sub-par performance,and when put in SLI they would barely be better than a single GTX 970...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

14 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It makes perfect sense to SLI 2 1060s if Nvidia's claims are true because:

GTX 1060=GTX 980

2xGTX 980>GTX 1080> GTX 1070

2xGTX 1060>GTX 1080>GTX 1070

So they decided that SLI isn't an option as:

2xGTX 1060= ≥

~$500

1xGTX 1080= ≥ ~$600

With the GTX 960 it didn't make any sense as it had sub-par performance,and when put in SLI they would barely be better than a single GTX 970...

There were new leaks showing less than 970 performance in 3DM. Look it up

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

44 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why is it not required? How is it possible for Gigabyte, ASUS etc. to magically add SLI support to a GPU? If you can provide me a link to a reputable source I will believe you...

Take a look at the OFFICIAL SLI supported GPUs page from Nvidia:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/supported-gpus

Additionally:

http://videocardz.com/62189/asus-geforce-gtx-1060-strix-detailed

http://videocardz.com/62278/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-rumors-part-7-new-cards-more-benchmarks

These are AIB cards... There is NO SLI finger on them!

Here are the GTX 1080 specs from Nvidia (supports SLI)1080.png

Here are the GTX 1060 specs from Nvidia:

1060.png

6 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

There were new leaks showing less than 970 performance in 3DM. Look it up

Interesting... But as I said... IF the rumors are true a GTX 1060 SLI WOULD be worth it...

We will have to wait for official benchmarks to confirm that...

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Interesting... But as I said... IF the rumors are true a GTX 1060 SLI WOULD be worth it...

We will have to wait for official benchmarks to confirm that...

It also depends on the scaling. Remember, 480s are 60-70$ cheaper

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

12 hours ago, Supermangik said:

If one of you keep posting this stupid fake picture of a wanna be 1060 again, I'm going to slap myself. Do me a favor, quit listening to that App4that idiot, and his stupid sources is not reliable. Nvidia has already announced they do not support SLI for 1060, what are you going on about? Even if an AIB partner added SLI fingers onto a gtx 1060 PCB board, it won't do anything because there will be no drivers to support it. And please, that iChill titled, "1060" has been stated multiple times that it is NOT a 1060 in that picture, but a 1070.

products_id_243_2.jpg

Do me a favor, write on a piece paper, "App4that (insert insult.)" Don't listen to that guy anymore, thanks.

Not to mention that it is the GTX 1060 CORE that doesn't support SLI... Not the board... I am pretty sure that this guy confuses the chip with the board it is attached to...

I'm all for SLI and Crossfire.

My R9 390x Crossfire will last me many more years until a true 4k card that can handle max setting at 4k, then it's time for me to buy a new card.

20160716_041450.jpg

6 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not to mention that it is the GTX 1060 CORE that doesn't support SLI... Not the board... I am pretty sure that this guy confuses the chip with the board it is attached to...

I've said over and over that SLI can be supported by the developer and not by Nvidia. All SLI does is allow the two cards to communicate, why it's called a bridge. But this is classic. If Nvidia had included SLI will the 1060 and it didn't scale to the level of the 480 while requiring an expensive HB bridge to even come close, you'd be complaining about that. The only reason the RX 480 and GTX 1060 are considered worthy of multi graphics card configuration is marketing and the fact they are new so are referenced to the last generation of cards. In a year once Vega and the Titan P hit, you will view them as you do the 380 and 960. So iChill wants to sell a few cards by offering an option some AIB might not? Big whoop. Chill out.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

I've said over and over that SLI can be supported by the developer and not by Nvidia. All SLI does is allow the two cards to communicate, why it's called a bridge. But this is classic. If Nvidia had included SLI will the 1060 and it didn't scale to the level of the 480 while requiring an expensive HB bridge to even come close, you'd be complaining about that. The only reason the RX 480 and GTX 1060 are considered worthy of multi graphics card configuration is marketing and the fact they are new so are referenced to the last generation of cards. In a year once Vega and the Titan P hit, you will view them as you do the 380 and 960. So iChill wants to sell a few cards by offering an option some AIB might not? Big whoop. Chill out.

Yes 2 GPUs ARE supported... But not with a bridge... With the help of DX12...

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes 2 GPUs ARE supported... But not with a bridge... With the help of DX12...

There are more options to developers for multi card configurations than DX12... I NEVER said it would happen, simply that it is possible. Bloody hell... 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

There are more options to developers for multi card configurations than DX12... I NEVER said it would happen, simply that it is possible. Bloody hell... 

Anyway... Let's not fight over it... We shall wait and see... NDA lifts in a couple of days so we will soon know...

10 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Anyway... Let's not fight over it... We shall wait and see... NDA lifts in a couple of days so we will soon know...

I posted several times that the inclusion of the SLI fingers on the iChill is meaningless. No developer in my opinion will make the needed effort to support it. Just marketing. 

And I'm honestly at a loss, not having SLI supported on the 1060 is a good thing, it's fucking awesome actually. That mean the 1060 will not threaten the RX480. Only someone who is brand loyal or not interested in a multi card config will buy the 1060. This will balance out the market as the RX 480 will be the most popular card.

So how is this bad? Why should the few people who would buy the 1060 not do it? So that Nvidia goes back on the hunt for every last customer? 

Come on guys, this is bitching about a new rope and you know it.

The iChill does not have any SLI fingers after all... Leaks can be confusing some times...

http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=251

http://www.inno3d.com/news_detail.php?refid=348

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The iChill does not have any SLI fingers after all... Leaks can be confusing some times...

http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=251

http://www.inno3d.com/news_detail.php?refid=348

Yep, you can put that win on the fridge next to the pie eating contest, well done xD 

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yep, you can put that win on the fridge next to the pie eating contest, well done xD 

What some where saying that this was a GTX 1070 was BS though... These where real press images, we can only say that those renders had some slight "imperfections" or "inaccuracies"

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

What some where saying that this was a GTX 1070 was BS though... These where real press images, we can only say that those renders had some slight "imperfections" or "inaccuracies"

We'll never know what happened. The power connections were different but that could have been an earlier model of the 1070, who knows. Wouldn't have mattered anyway, but would have been cool to see what they did in benchmarks. With some 1060 overclocking to 2.2 without touching the voltage it is rather a shame you can't SLI them.

Ether way you have earned your you were right.

Just now, App4that said:

it is rather a shame you can't SLI them.

I am so frustrated about the lack of SLI, I mean, come on, FUCK YOU Nvidia... I was going to buy 1 and buy and another for SLI later (and probably to get better performance than a single 1080 :P)  Anyway, I am probably still gonna buy one...

We all know why they did that though... It might have outperformed or just matched a GTX 1080, so...

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am so frustrated about the lack of SLI, I mean, come on, FUCK YOU Nvidia... I was going to buy 1 and buy and another for SLI later (and probably to get better performance than a single 1080 :P)  Anyway, I am probably still gonna buy one...

We all know why they did that though... It might have outperformed or just matched a GTX 1080, so...

My personal guess is they skipped it to save them the worry of driver support for SLI with it. I've worked enough manufacturing to know for all we know they make more money selling two 1060s. But I totally agree it was a dumb move from their perspective. I'm glad they did it though because it gives people a reason to buy the 480. Which unless the AIB cards save it is behind the 1060 in price and performance when you look at the AIB examples at 249us. Like the MSI Aero. 

idk what some of you guys are saying, but not all 1060s are more $50 more than a 480. PNY and EVGA both offer aftermarket non-blower designs for 250 with 6gb. if the aftermarket cards are little more powerful than the founders (which they most likely are with higher oc), the 1060 probably has better price to performance ratio than the 480 ref. idk about the aftermarket coolers for the 480s tho. I still find it odd though that 480 still lacks aftermarket cards in newegg and amazon...

Just now, JJVGaming said:

idk what some of you guys are saying, but not all 1060s are more $50 more than a 480. PNY and EVGA both offer aftermarket non-blower designs for 250 with 6gb. if the aftermarket cards are little more powerful than the founders (which they most likely are with higher oc), the 1060 probably has better price to performance ratio than the 480 ref. idk about the aftermarket coolers for the 480s tho. I still find it odd though that AMD still has yet to have aftermarket cards in newegg and amazon...

Radeon is busy filling back orders, which the arrival of the 1060 will help them with. My hope is in Sapphire and the Nitro to place the 480 back on top for performance per dollar. More 480s sold means more money to develop Vega. And we need Vega. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Radeon is busy filling back orders, which the arrival of the 1060 will help them with. My hope is in Sapphire and the Nitro to place the 480 back on top for performance per dollar. More 480s sold means more money to develop Vega. And we need Vega. 

The nitro has an 8 pin right? I think most of the aftermarket cards do, so oc will hopefully be better (saw a nitrogen cooled one at 1700 mhz do really good, but that nitrogen...). I really want to see vega too.

1 minute ago, JJVGaming said:

The nitro has an 8 pin right? I think most of the aftermarket cards do, so oc will hopefully be better (saw a nitrogen cooled one at 1700 mhz do really good, but that nitrogen...). I really want to see vega too.

Rumors are that the Nitro hits 1500MHz out of the box. Really hope that's true.

Realistically, its a small amount of consumers that are upset about the lack of SLI. For years every respected reviewer has always said not to SLI or Crossfire unless you can't get any more performance from a single graphic card, and I completely agree. SLI and Crossfire require a much better cpu, a larger power supply and the biggest reason of all why I think its stupid: GDDR5 at 8Ghz is pulling a crap load of power. In the case of the 1060, is likely that 35-40% of the power draw is going to the memory. Nvidia must be looking at the wasted power and shaking their head. They have a good idea who's using what through geforce experience, and I can only imagine the horror of seeing people with budget CPU's trying to SLI 960's, getting maybe 20-30% more performance than someone with a single 960 and a good cpu. I can understand diehard AMD fans not having any other choice but to crossfire 480's, but if someone is that diehard for the budget multi-GPU experience, I'm sure they will have a fine experience with dual 480's. I mean, my experience with crossfire 290's was enjoyable with maybe 4 games and was unusable with dozens of games, but it will definitely be awesome with 480's.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR