There's really no point in getting a gtx 1060

c00face

Should of purchased the gtx 980 ti when I saw the price drop to $280 on newegg. This card really has no use, it's just another 1080p gaming card that is highly overpriced by nVidia. If you really want a cheap and affordable and does the job quite well 1080p card, then just stick with the rx 480, or just buy the r9 380, r9 390 for that exact same price point. This card for nVidia, 1060, really serves no purpose. We already have cards that are cheaper and does gaming at 1080p, so what exactly is this card suppose to fulfill with the price point being at $250? (which it won't be at $250, it'll be roughly $330 - $350.) If that's the case, then you might as well get yourself a R9 Fury, or just save up for a gtx 1070. Even waiting for what AMD Vega has in store is the way more better option. Vega will definitely be in the same area of price point of $400, and it will probably smoke the gtx 1060.

Everyone needs to stop feeding into nVidia overpriced marketing tactics. There's literally no reason why graphics card should even go as high as they're listing it, only the purpose of just overpricing and sucking your money.

PS: I forgot to mention nVidia does not allow SLI support for the gtx 1060, which is a big joke. They know exactly what they're trying to pull here, and it's really to force you to buy their high budget gaming cards instead of stacking two 1060 and beating the 1070 or a single 1080 for half the price.

I kind of agree: the choice should clearly be 480 then 1070. There's a huge gap in there but there's also a deep performance gap between 1080p and even 1440p.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I agree aswell, just waiting for it to get released so that some other cards can drop in value a slight bit

CPU:Amd fx-8320 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P RAM:Hyper x fury ddr3 8gb 1866 mhz GPU:Amd Asus radeon r9 280 3gb Case:Fractal design define r4 Storage:1.SSD hyper x fury 120gb 2.HDD seagate 500gb PSU:Corsair CX 600M, 600W Monitor:Some random philips monitor Mouse & keyboard:CM Storm Devastator - MS2K & MB24 OS:windows 7 home premium.

The aftermarket 1060 do support SLI, because it's included with the custom PCB.

If you don't like Nvidia that's fine, but do we really need the AMD coffee clutch going on a crusade? The 1060 looks to be a great performer and early price leaks put it right at the cost of the 8g 480.

So take a breath and chill.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

What do you expect? nVidia to sit idly by and not respond to the 480? Uh... no.

And I'm not seeing your "$300-350" estimate according to these.

ZOTAC-ZT-P10600A-10L-GeForce-GTX-1060-Graphics-Card-SabrePC.com_.png

ZOTAC-ZT-P10600B-10M-GeForce-GTX-1060-AMP-Graphics-Card-SabrePC.com_.png

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Man that basic Zotac with one fan.... I bet it roars. I wouldn't bother with that one, if anything go with the Amp edition.

But yea this is meant to go head to head with the 480, no other reason other than that.

10 hours ago, App4that said:

The aftermarket 1060 do support SLI, because it's included with the custom PCB.

If you don't like Nvidia that's fine, but do we really need the AMD coffee clutch going on a crusade? The 1060 looks to be a great performer and early price leaks put it right at the cost of the 8g 480.

So take a breath and chill.

The aftermarket cards will NOT support SLI... Did you see any Aftermarket 750 Tis supporting it?

If reference (aka Founders Edition) doesn't support it then no other card will...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I can kinda see your point about the gtx 1060 being in a "no-man's-land" of GPU price/performance, sorta like the 980 was.  A little overkill for 1080p, but under powered for 1440p.  Not necessarily a worthless product (heck, I'm thinking of buying one), but once the RX 480 aftermarkets get moving I think that will be the hotter seller.

19 hours ago, Supermangik said:

Should of purchased the gtx 980 ti when I saw the price drop to $280 on newegg.

PS: I forgot to mention nVidia does not allow SLI support for the gtx 1060, which is a big joke. They know exactly what they're trying to pull here, and it's really to force you to buy their high budget gaming cards instead of stacking two 1060 and beating the 1070 or a single 1080 for half the price.

If I had known, I would've jumped on that.

I'm personally fine with Nvidia ditching sli on mid range cards and 3/4 way altogether.  It's actually something I feel they should've done a while ago, and could possibly bring back when/if the optimization for it improves.  I think with my first build I tried sli'd GTS 250s (one was carried over) and even though the performance scaling was ok, I constantly ran across bugs and frame drops.  The fps just don't tell you the whole story with sli/crossfire.  

It may have improved in the last 5 years or so since I did it (supposedly it's pretty consistent on AAA games), but if it hasn't, it's really not a bad idea that they reserve this kind of thing for enthusiasts.  It doesn't really make a good impression on normal consumers when you want to deliver a consistent experience, but basically sell them on something that doesn't always work across the board like multi GPU setups.

It's completely up to you if you think Crossfired 480s is the way to go vs a gtx 1080, but to me it was a terrible idea for AMD to use that as a selling point.  But then again, it seems to have worked on some people.

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I can kinda see your point about the gtx 1060 being in a "no-man's-land" of GPU price/performance, sorta like the 980 was.  A little overkill for 1080p, but under powered for 1440p.  Not necessarily a worthless product (heck, I'm thinking of buying one), but once the RX 480 aftermarkets get moving I think that will be the hotter seller.

If I had known, I would've jumped on that.

I'm personally fine with Nvidia ditching sli on mid range cards and 3/4 way altogether.  It's actually something I feel they should've done a while ago, and could possibly bring back when/if the optimization for it improves.  I think with my first build I tried sli'd GTS 250s (one was carried over) and even though the performance scaling was ok, I constantly ran across bugs and frame drops.  The fps just don't tell you the whole story with sli/crossfire.  

It may have improved in the last 5 years or so since I did it (supposedly it's pretty consistent on AAA games), but if it hasn't, it's really not a bad idea that they reserve this kind of thing for enthusiasts.  It doesn't really make a good impression on normal consumers when you want to deliver a consistent experience, but basically sell them on something that doesn't always work across the board like multi GPU setups.

It's completely up to you if you think Crossfired 480s is the way to go vs a gtx 1080, but to me it was a terrible idea for AMD to use that as a selling point.  But then again, it seems to have worked on some people.

nVidia ditching SLI for mid range cards really has nothing to do with optimization. It's just a marketing ploy to not underdo their previous card such as the 980ti, 1070, and 1080. It literally makes no sense to remove SLI when DirectX 12 will support SLI and Crossfire technologies. Two Gtx 1060 will out-do a 1080, and I bet that is the exact reason they do not want to include SLI because it will defeat the purpose of selling a Gtx 1080 at $800, when you can just get two Gtx 1060 for just $500 (maybe.)

Although I despise the 960 and upcoming 1060, gotta see how it performs along with pricings and such to see if it is more worthwhile than the 960. Yeah Nvidia trying to cash grab but can't assume too much till next week.

The woes of not waiting to buy a GPU when new releases hit soon.

5 minutes ago, Supermangik said:

nVidia ditching SLI for mid range cards really has nothing to do with optimization. It's just a marketing ploy to not underdo their previous card such as the 980ti, 1070, and 1080. It literally makes no sense to remove SLI when DirectX 12 will support SLI and Crossfire technologies. Two Gtx 1060 will out-do a 1080, and I bet that is the exact reason they do not want to include SLI because it will defeat the purpose of selling a Gtx 1080 at $800, when you can just get two Gtx 1060 for just $500 (maybe.)

I wouldn't doubt that not including sli in the gtx 1060 was a business driven decision, but I don't think it has hurt their high end gpu sales in the past.  Maybe yields could have effected that decision? (if they made way more 1080s than 1060s)  The fact that they also ditched 3/4 way at the same time makes me believe they are putting less emphasis overall on sli.  And no, you can't say that was to prevent people from not buying the titanp/1080 ti. :P

I'm the type of person that doesn't bank on future technologies for justifying the performance I'm getting now.  So we'll cross the DX12 bridge when we come to it.

The card hasn't even come out yet hahahah and leaks are showing that the price is going to be close to the msrp. 

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The aftermarket cards will NOT support SLI... Did you see any Aftermarket 750 Tis supporting it?

If reference (aka Founders Edition) doesn't support it then no other card will...

Is this a 750ti? It's confirmed that the custom 1060 will have the option to support SLI. This is one more reason Nvidia giving you to buy a board partner card over theirs in support of there board partners. Check out the iChill. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Wait, wait, and wait..... You can't really tell actual performance from leaks, and I think it will be a good competitor to the RX 480, IF it is not >$260-270

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz

22 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

GTx 1060 (appears to)= GTX 980 = 1440p~

yeah ~30 fps 1440p is sure fun. gtx 1070 is 1440p 60 fps.

Oh joy. Another troll starting to light the AMD vs Nvidia flamewar. -_-

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Get reduced 980 Tis before they're all gone (as long as they are cheaper than 1070s).

I have my two Zotac Amp Omegas already, minus a functioning PC.

God I hate this about the 1060:

'The GTX 1060 does not support SLI. Nvidia says it isn't relevant for mid-range cards, and that it concentrated on producing the best single GPU card for the money.'

More like if it supported SLI, people might buy two of those instead of one 1080!

Well, you can get two 980 Tis for the price of one 1080 while their stocks last at reduced prices. Seems the best upgrade route for the price atm.

Linus is my fetish.

i think they said 1060 will be targeting 980 peformance.and 480 cant reach 970 peformance

so i would go with the 1060 here if its true

12 minutes ago, Bhav said:

God I hate this about the 1060:

'The GTX 1060 does not support SLI. Nvidia says it isn't relevant for mid-range cards, and that it concentrated on producing the best single GPU card for the money.'

More like if it supported SLI, people might buy two of those instead of one 1080!

Well, you can get two 980 Tis for the price of one 1080 while their stocks last at reduced prices. Seems the best upgrade route for the price atm.

Oh but it very much is, there seems to be a good amount of people running RX480 CF. 

7 minutes ago, IGJoe2192 said:

Oh but it very much is, there seems to be a good amount of people running RX480 CF. 

Just about every source says no it isn't. And I didn't mean to agree either, I keep on pressing that instead of quote.

Linus is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Just about every source says no it isn't. And I didn't mean to agree either, I keep on pressing that instead of quote.

Agree to disagree =P