software to monitor cpu temp!

What's up! Just finished my first rig and thinking about an aftermarket cooler.

first I want to get an accurate reading of my cpu temp under load, does anyone have a recommendation on some free software and why they prefer it? and can I get an overlay of the cpu temp reading while in game?

Hardware monitor or realtemp are my favourites. There are other options such as speedfan or coretemp as well though hope that helps :D

Edit: forgot to add why I prefer them, both have simple layout super easy to use, hardware monitor tells you a lot of useful information voltages which seem fairly accurate from my experience. Realtemp has a nice alarm system so you can set maximum safe temperatures for the alarm to go off to notify you that you're cpu is a bit toasty.

Links to software
Hardware monitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Realtemp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Hardware monitor or realtemp are my favourites. There are other options such as speedfan or coretemp as well though hope that helps :D

can I view a fraps fps like overlay of my temps while in game?

Not that I'm aware of, but the alarm in realtemp should go off if you set it and have it running in the background. If you have multiple screens you can have them open on another screen but since you asked I doubt you're running multiple screens?

My personal favorite CPU temperature monitoring utility is RealTemp too. For GPU temp go for MSI Afterburner.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Fanspeed for desktop notifications, afterburner for the overlay on games.

Fanspeed for desktop notifications, afterburner for the overlay on games.

from my experience MSI afterburner does not monitor cpu temp/usage. only gpu

4.2GHZ VALIDATIONGALLERYMost expensive software you own (clicky thread)

Intel Core i5 760 2.8GHZ @3.3ghz(4C),Asus P7H55/USB3,Antec TP550 80+bronze,Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC@955/2120 1050MV,windows 3.1,8GB DDR3 1333MHZ @~1450mhz,,500gb hdd, 160gb 

from my experience MSI afterburner does not monitor cpu temp/usage. only gpu

under monitoring in the settings you can force RTSS to display other stuff aside from gpu temps and usage.

EDIT: but for now it monitors per core so CPU usage won't be averaged out accurately without covering your screen with  the overlay. 

can I view a fraps fps like overlay of my temps while in game?

i think you can do that with a combo of HWINFO64 and msi afterburner

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717129

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

i use core temp and it work pretty nice, CPUid works fine but cpu core has an icon on the taskbar in the icon section

with me whoever, ahead who can

• 1 year later...

hardware monitor is for sure the way to go if you have multiple monitors, makes life really easy.

Whelp forgot to include a drain valve in my loop, there's always next time.

This thread is 18 months old. If you want to continue the discussion, please create a new thread. Locked.

HTTP/2 203