The 2P/4P Owners Club

Yes, that third socket IS technically a Socket F type - and you could put an AMD Opteron chip in there. But, not much will happen. :)

It ws actually designed for a 3Leaf custom ASIC chip which never took off.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

thinking about building a dual-G34 8-core this summer... the CPU's can be found dirt-cheap, but the motherboards are a different story

If you are thinking about a dual 8 core - make sure you get a higher end one - like a 6200 or 6300 series and not a 6100 series - 16 cores is the minimum required for bigadv folding - but, there is a big difference between say a 6320 and a 6140. A 6100 series dual 8 core unit can actually have issues completing a 8101 project (the hardest ones) on time and even some 8102's. Typically 8103, 8104 and 8105 are all good though.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

so, one seller on ebays was stating that, to run quad opterons, they need to be 8xxx series, and not 4xxx... is this true?

Yes and no. The 8xxx series supports quad socket, and the 4xxx series dosnt. However, the 4xxx is just one line of products.

Quad socket isnt only limited to 8xxx CPU's though, the 6xxx series also supports it.

~Judah

Yes and no. The 8xxx series supports quad socket, and the 4xxx series dosnt. However, the 4xxx is just one line of products.

Quad socket isnt only limited to 8xxx CPU's though, the 6xxx series also supports it.

ok, makes sense... the 4xxx cpus are dirt-cheap, and probably for a reason, I guess....

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC

ok, makes sense... the 4xxx cpus are dirt-cheap, and probably for a reason, I guess....

Yes, I think the 4000 could only do up to Dual, much like some of intel's lower end Xeons... You want Quad support, need to shell out more for the better chips...

be better off going with a 7970

Why aren't you part of this club yet, I expected you to have a multi cpu rig

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Why aren't you part of this club yet, I expected you to have a multi cpu rig

I like to be able to use my folding rigs for other thing, gaming and video transcoding.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

soz... I think I have most of the hardware figured out for a quadcpu... the only thing i'm wondering about is: what wattage PSU do I need for a quad 8425 HE system? i'm trying to keep costs down, so i'd rather not buy a new PSU if I can recycle one from an old system... (then again, that may not be such a great idea in the first place)...

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC

Watt for watt and dollar for dollar - bigadv folding is cheaper and more power efficient. You current system cost you what, $1200 - $1500? A basic 8425 4P system (24 core) can typically run you $500-$700, easil;y crank our 100K PPD on 8101 and 150+K PPD on a 8105 and will use less power doing it. 

My 32 core units average 350K PPD - runs about 500-600 watts and cost about $1200 all in. A PC, to get that high of PPD with GPU folding would need at least 3 very high end GPU's - so what, $500 each, plus the base system. So, $2000? Take into account you will be using more power and, heaven forbid, you get a non Core17 WU, and you tank. :)

How much does that cost you per month, in terms of electricity?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Whats bigadv? And does it have to be a dedicated folder?

@Whaler_99

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

@Whaler_99

Its for people with 16+ cores (real cores, not threads, you will have a hard time getting away with a HT i7)

Basically, its projects set aside for the enthusiast folders with 2p/4p rigs dedicated to folding. They are worth a TON of points.

They dont always need to be ran off a dedicated rig, but i would highly recommend it from what i have seen around the net (i dont fold BigAdv myself).

If you have something like a 64 core Opteron rig, i have no doubt you could run a few VM's on the side. But dedicated is your best bet.

~Judah

@Whaler_99

As Judahnator said, 16 real cores minimum are required to get access and those projects are worth a lot more points than regular projects. They also have extremely tight deadlines, usually a few days, and missing them means you get a severe point penalty, so it's best to have a dedicated folder or else you'll get around 20k points rather than hundreds of thousands. I have experience with that... my first two BigAdv projects missed their deadlines thanks to unforeseen problems.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

The other thing about bigadv are... they are BIG - as in size. They bring my internet link to a crawl when downloading and uploading new WU's...

The other thing about bigadv are... they are BIG - as in size. They bring my internet link to a crawl when downloading and uploading new WU's...

really?what is their overall size?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

How often is that?

!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Its for people with 16+ cores (real cores, not threads, you will have a hard time getting away with a HT i7)

Basically, its projects set aside for the enthusiast folders with 2p/4p rigs dedicated to folding. They are worth a TON of points.

They dont always need to be ran off a dedicated rig, but i would highly recommend it from what i have seen around the net (i dont fold BigAdv myself).

If you have something like a 64 core Opteron rig, i have no doubt you could run a few VM's on the side. But dedicated is your best bet.

Dang I was hoping I could run some server stuff on it too

Dang I was hoping I could run some server stuff on it too

You can... just remember though, you will be taking away from folding - which means reducing your bonus points.

I am typically up/down 1 project a day on the 32 core system and ever 1.5 days on the 24 core - at random times. Project sizes can be upwards of a 100Mbytes I believe...

I am typically up/down 1 project a day on the 32 core system and ever 1.5 days on the 24 core - at random times. Project sizes can be upwards of a 100Mbytes I believe...

Okay not too bad

I'm debating getting DJ equipment or buying a 2P/4P Machine.

How does this look? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-Precision-690-Dual-LGA771-Xeon-System-Board-DT029-w-2x-Xeon-5150-CPU-/111176973811?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item19e2a9fdf3&_uhb=1

It comes with the CPUs I believe

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I'm debating getting DJ equipment or buying a 2P/4P Machine.

How does this look? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-Precision-690-Dual-LGA771-Xeon-System-Board-DT029-w-2x-Xeon-5150-CPU-/111176973811?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item19e2a9fdf3&_uhb=1

It comes with the CPUs I believe

Not very good IMO. The processors are old and there are only 4 cores total. For the price though, not bad.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Not very good IMO. The processors are old and there are only 4 cores total. For the price though, not bad.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GK775-Dell-Poweredge-6950-Motherboard-W-4X-AMD-Opteron-8314-2-2GHz-DC-Processors-/271135375259?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item3f20ed7f9b&_uhb=1 What about this? 

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla