The 2P/4P Owners Club

Yeah I've been quietly waiting for mine. but I've been good and haven't asked because it says not to in the info/FAQ, hahaha  :lol: Hopefully he'll do it for us soon :)

EDIT: just to clarify in not folding just for the badge, its just nice to be reconsidered as part of the folding team :)

Yeah, same as me, i wasn't asking for a badge, i was just wondering when or if i would get one.

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

I'm quite curious as to what the benefit of these 24 core folders are. 

I'm getting 60,000 PPD from my main rig, i7 3930K + GTX 660, so would it really be beneficial to build a 24 core folder?

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

I'm getting 60,000 PPD from my main rig, i7 3930K + GTX 660, so would it really be beneficial to build a 24 core folder?

well the point is to try and get as much performance as possible versus power drawn, also longevity, besides it's lots of fun trying to do something you haven't done before, it's a new  playground, and it doesn't have to be 24 core you can build a 32 48 or 64 core 4p system if you want to.

well the point is to try and get as much performance as possible versus power drawn, also longevity, besides it's lots of fun trying to do something you haven't done before, it's a new  playground, and it doesn't have to be 24 core you can build a 32 48 or 64 core 4p system if you want to.

Holy baby Jesus, you can get up to 64? what chips do you use for that?

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

some of the opteron 6100 6200 and 6300 series processors are 16 core processors get 4 of them and it adds up to 64 cores, my understanding is that they aren't super optimised for folding yet, so you currently don't get a whole lot for the extra cores, besides higher power consumption.

i got 4  12 core processors just sitting and waiting for a motherboard to house them and ram to cooperate with it   :wub:  

i think 12 core is the way to go atm for watt/performance, atleast it seems like the sweetspot.

well, since there's 4 of them in there, you divide 64 by 4 and get 16. after googling "amd 16 core procesor" you get a list of 7 processors which have 16 cores ranging from the 6284 SE which costs about $1200 to the 6262 HE which costs about $500.

"The suffix HE or EE indicates a high-efficiency/energy-efficiency model having a lower TDP than a standard Opteron. The suffix SE indicates a top-of-the-line model having a higher TDP than a standard Opteron." (taken from wikipedia, http://bit.ly/GFO6p4)

the next thing that pops into my mind is how does the lowest costing 6262 HE perform comparing it to the same priced cpu that has less cores, i.e. 12 or 8, but has a higher frequency. do you get such a big boost in performance from all the cores that it's always better to go more cores, or is it just a case of you can run it cooler and get the same performance?

I would LOVE to be able to test that, but need all dat money.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

well, since there's 4 of them in there, you divide 64 by 4 and get 16. after googling "amd 16 core procesor" you get a list of 7 processors which have 16 cores ranging from the 6284 SE which costs about $1200 to the 6262 HE which costs about $500.

"The suffix HE or EE indicates a high-efficiency/energy-efficiency model having a lower TDP than a standard Opteron. The suffix SE indicates a top-of-the-line model having a higher TDP than a standard Opteron." (taken from wikipedia, http://bit.ly/GFO6p4)

the next thing that pops into my mind is how does the lowest costing 6262 HE perform comparing it to the same priced cpu that has less cores, i.e. 12 or 8, but has a higher frequency. do you get such a big boost in performance from all the cores that it's always better to go more cores, or is it just a case of you can run it cooler and get the same performance?

I would LOVE to be able to test that, but need all dat money.

In theory...

48 cores at say 3.2 Ghz will not come near a 64 core unit running at say 2.2 Ghz. The extra cores really do make a big difference. BUT - as mentioned, 64 core servers are not giving huge benefits over a 48 because of optimization. But, I think where a 64 core comes into play is if you get the harder WU's like a 8101 - the 64 won't suffer quite as much as the 48.

A 48 core unit can get on average 500-700k PPD

A 64 core is in theory capable of 1 million PPD - but in actuality I think most average around a solid 700k PPD.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Watt for watt and dollar for dollar - bigadv folding is cheaper and more power efficient. You current system cost you what, $1200 - $1500? A basic 8425 4P system (24 core) can typically run you $500-$700, easil;y crank our 100K PPD on 8101 and 150+K PPD on a 8105 and will use less power doing it. 

My 32 core units average 350K PPD - runs about 500-600 watts and cost about $1200 all in. A PC, to get that high of PPD with GPU folding would need at least 3 very high end GPU's - so what, $500 each, plus the base system. So, $2000? Take into account you will be using more power and, heaven forbid, you get a non Core17 WU, and you tank. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Don't NOT buy this!!

It is NOT a 3P board - it was originally a 2P SuperMicro board, that was then customized by a company called 3Leaf. They went out of business and there are a bunch of these board floating around. The third "socket" is actually for their proprietary ASIC chip.

As an FYI for AMD or Intel - you can have 1 way, 2 way or 4 way boards You cannot have 3 way. In a 4P board you can run 1CPU, 2CPU or 4CPU, but not 3. System will general just crash. Or run... but only see 2 CPU.

I do not know of any real 3P board out there as they simply wouldn't work with AMD or Intel chips...

As a Socket F - at most you could get 12 cores... and not qualify for bigadv projects.

I'm not quite sure if you qualify yet Whaler....

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

that explains the low price point then haha. 

Watt for watt and dollar for dollar - bigadv folding is cheaper and more power efficient. You current system cost you what, $1200 - $1500? A basic 8425 4P system (24 core) can typically run you $500-$700, easil;y crank our 100K PPD on 8101 and 150+K PPD on a 8105 and will use less power doing it. 

My 32 core units average 350K PPD - runs about 500-600 watts and cost about $1200 all in. A PC, to get that high of PPD with GPU folding would need at least 3 very high end GPU's - so what, $500 each, plus the base system. So, $2000? Take into account you will be using more power and, heaven forbid, you get a non Core17 WU, and you tank. :)

Yeah, that defs makes sense. After letting my system run for a few days just folding, it says that it's folding 120,000-ish PPD, so I'm pretty happy with that. 

Add a couple of compute-oriented GPUs and I reckon I can hit some pretty high numbers. 

Looking at http://anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/593 seems to show that the GTX580 is great for compute, much better than the GTX680 or GTX770, almost as good as the GTX780. 

Thinking I can pick three of them up second hand and get them to fold, fold, fold.

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Yeah, that defs makes sense. After letting my system run for a few days just folding, it says that it's folding 120,000-ish PPD, so I'm pretty happy with that. 

Add a couple of compute-oriented GPUs and I reckon I can hit some pretty high numbers. 

Looking at http://anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/593 seems to show that the GTX580 is great for compute, much better than the GTX680 or GTX770, almost as good as the GTX780. 

Thinking I can pick three of them up second hand and get them to fold, fold, fold.

be better off going with a 7970

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I came across an old 2P board with a pair of Opteron 256 processors and picked up some memory off of eBay. I know it will be very underpowered for this club but I like to think it's going to be my server training wheels. Any software suggestions for a beginner are more than welcome.

Don't NOT buy this!!

It is NOT a 3P board - it was originally a 2P SuperMicro board, that was then customized by a company called 3Leaf. They went out of business and there are a bunch of these board floating around. The third "socket" is actually for their proprietary ASIC chip.

As an FYI for AMD or Intel - you can have 1 way, 2 way or 4 way boards You cannot have 3 way. In a 4P board you can run 1CPU, 2CPU or 4CPU, but not 3. System will general just crash. Or run... but only see 2 CPU.

I do not know of any real 3P board out there as they simply wouldn't work with AMD or Intel chips...

As a Socket F - at most you could get 12 cores... and not qualify for bigadv projects.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Supermicro-H8DME-EX-LS006-Server-Motherboard-3x-Socket-F-AMD-Six-Core-8xPCIe-/190882661882?pt=Motherboards&hash=item2c717e45fa

sez 3x socket F

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC

thinking about building a dual-G34 8-core this summer... the CPU's can be found dirt-cheap, but the motherboards are a different story

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC

Just because its socket F dosnt mean it supports 3 processors. As @Whaler_99 said, its for some other purpose. It dosnt support a third Opteron.

Computers like even numbers. They dont like Odd numbers. And when it comes to prime numbers they throws fits. Thats why F@H throws errors left and right when assigned 5, 7, 11, 13, 17 cores ect... Same with the physical processors. I dont think its even possible for 3 to work together.

~Judah

right but thats what he's been talking about, thats not a genuine super micro board and can't actually use 3 opterons. Look at the placement of the third socket, right in the middle of the PCI-E lanes. Thats not normal, or spec, or even logical. The board was not designed for 3 sockets, the third was added after the fact and it doesn't support an opteron CPU, and even if it did AMD doesn't make a bios that supports 3 sockets. 

Just because its socket F dosnt mean it supports 3 processors. As @Whaler_99 said, its for some other purpose. It dosnt support a third Opteron.

Computers like even numbers. They dont like Odd numbers. And when it comes to prime numbers they throws fits. Thats why F@H throws errors left and right when assigned 5, 7, 11, 13, 17 cores ect... Same with the physical processors. I dont think its even possible for 3 to work together.

really, 7 too? I have an 8120 running on 7 to leave one open for the GPU. should I turn it down to 6?

really, 7 too? I have an 8120 running on 7 to leave one open for the GPU. should I turn it down to 6?

Just to make sure you are talking about cores on your CPU right? Just leave it at 7, it's fine.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Just to make sure you are talking about cores on your CPU right? Just leave it at 7, it's fine.

yes cores of my CPU

yes cores of my CPU

Yes it's fine, I think it was the idea of having an odd number of physical CPUs not odd number of cores. Since you only have one physical CPU you are good to go.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360