Will this work

applesuxD

Router (main) -----> powerline -> another powerline -> router 

So i can have two routers working in the house

I forgot whether it works haha

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Use a dedicated switch rather than another router.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I assume when you say, "router", you're talking about some sort of wireless access point, right?

And yes, you absolutely can do that.  You probably want to disable the 'router' features, and merely configure it as a wireless access point.  Letting your clients pull their IP address assignments from your main gateway.

If you set the SSIDs to be identical (but on different wireless channels), many clients will pick the strongest signal and use such accordingly automatically.

If you need to boost your WiFi signal, try using a WiFi Range Extender instead.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Keeps disconnecting(if you're saying repeater)

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

Get an AP

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

On 7/13/2016 at 7:05 AM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

No never.. Repeater / extender is absolutely last resort.. they are inherently shit by design (if you read the whitepapers on how they work)

On 7/13/2016 at 6:57 AM, applesuxD said:

That would work fine.

There can be a few issues though:

• Double NATing
  • Different networks (clients on R1 cant communicate with clients on R2, if they are on different subnets)
  • Increased configuration of the network

I would go for an access point instead like other people suggest - a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite is a pretty good solution for most people.

If you want to use your excisting hardware, most consumer router has an option to convert it to work as an AP via the GUI, so you might want to look in your manual for that :)

If you are using the switchports on R2, I would just see if i can work around  having 2 routers if I were you, as it can work just fine in most situations.

5 hours ago, InVis said:

No never.. Repeater / extender is absolutely last resort.. they are inherently shit by design (if you read the whitepapers on how they work)

Link to white papers?

30 minutes ago, redanalog said:

Link to white papers?

You can google it as well as I can. 

But in general a repeater is not a magical device, it just repeats what it gets, so if you have a 100 mbit wifi, the clients on the repeater would only get half of that..

Repeats improve coverage, yes, but they also introduce a lot of other problems (increased interference, half-ing your throughput for clients connected to the repeater, introducing more latency, introducing more packet air time and so on.)

Giving that WiFi is half-duplex and using CSMA/CA, you could actually end up screwing with your whole wireless network by adding a repeater to the network because it is using wifi to connect to wifi.

Access points have their own dedicated ethernet connection to the backbone network and does not rely on a wireless signal to the backbone network. 

By adding access points, you not only increase your wireless networks capacity, but you will also decrease airtime, get lower latency as APs generally are more stable (they will not have to re-transmit lost packets as often and will in most cases be closer to the user and thereby further improving network performance).

On 13/07/2016 at 11:11 PM, mcraftax said:

Get an AP

Yes,was thinking of getting two AP

Tbh im not sure much about networking..

So isit AP->POWERLINE->WALL->powerline-> AP again?

On 7/15/2016 at 7:44 AM, applesuxD said:

Yes,was thinking of getting two AP

Tbh im not sure much about networking..

So isit AP->POWERLINE->WALL->powerline-> AP again?

If you have 2 APs, it should be:

Router -> powerline -> AP at one end of the house

Router -> powerline -> AP at the other end of the house

On 7/13/2016 at 0:57 AM, applesuxD said:

Here is what you do. This setup will work. Firstly you need to give the second router a different IP address then the first. For example 192.168.1.1 on the first and 192.168.1.2 on the second. You will need to turn off all NAT, firewall and DHCP server on the second router. Set the wireless name on the second router as the name you have on the first, make sure they are on different wireless channels. Makes it easier for when you roam between the two. Connect the routers LAN to LAN. Basically this turns the second router in to a switch with an AP. I used this setup when Comcast replaced our modem with an all in one unit. 

On the first router make sure that your DHCP server can not assign the address used for your second router. For example on most Linksys routers I have come across, the DHCP server starts the last number at 100. This means you can statically assign ip addresses 2-99 without any issues. Your first router will serve all IP addresses on your network.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 14/7/2016 at 4:54 PM, InVis said:

You can google it as well as I can. 

But in general a repeater is not a magical device, it just repeats what it gets, so if you have a 100 mbit wifi, the clients on the repeater would only get half of that..

Repeats improve coverage, yes, but they also introduce a lot of other problems (increased interference, half-ing your throughput for clients connected to the repeater, introducing more latency, introducing more packet air time and so on.)

Giving that WiFi is half-duplex and using CSMA/CA, you could actually end up screwing with your whole wireless network by adding a repeater to the network because it is using wifi to connect to wifi.

Access points have their own dedicated ethernet connection to the backbone network and does not rely on a wireless signal to the backbone network. 

By adding access points, you not only increase your wireless networks capacity, but you will also decrease airtime, get lower latency as APs generally are more stable (they will not have to re-transmit lost packets as often and will in most cases be closer to the user and thereby further improving network performance).

I cheked them out, the first I had heard of white papers but very interesting reads nonetheless