Turning speakers on/off hard restarts my pc

Jonbeez

I recently built a new rig in the Phanteks Evolv Glass case and have come across a weird problem. Whenever I turn my speakers on or off whilst the PC is on, it'll cause the PC to instantly restart. I used the same speakers with my old build and this problem never occurred, and I'm pretty sure it didn't happen for the first few days of my new build. Any ideas? I've searched around on the web and can't find any other people experiencing the same problem!

The speakers are just some crappy Sandstrom things I've had for years, and the motherboard they're plugged into is the Asus Sabertooth Z170 S.

3 minutes ago, Jonbeez said:

I recently built a new rig in the Phanteks Evolv Glass case and have come across a weird problem. Whenever I turn my speakers on or off whilst the PC is on, it'll cause the PC to instantly restart. I used the same speakers with my old build and this problem never occurred, and I'm pretty sure it didn't happen for the first few days of my new build. Any ideas? I've searched around on the web and can't find any other people experiencing the same problem!

The speakers are just some crappy Sandstrom things I've had for years, and the motherboard they're plugged into is the Asus Sabertooth Z170 S.

Maybe power draw?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

snip

As a computer tech, this sounds like one of those problems that we don't believe is happening until we see it with out own eyes. I don't know what would be causing it, but can suggest one thing to narrow things down.

Which audio jack are you plugging into on your computer, front headphone, read speaker out or rear line out?

When in doubt, re-format.

my guess would be power surging back into the system, or a wonky power supply that cant take a spike/dip in wall power when the speakers enable/disable.

EDIT: i didnt add troubleshooting steps, because they'd most likely end up specialized equipment and/or soldering.

It does sound like power surging back to the system. Try and reproduce the problem with other (but similar) speakers perhaps?

10 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Which audio jack are you plugging into on your computer, front headphone, read speaker out or rear line out?

I am plugged into the rear line out, the same green one that I would always plug into. It sounds crazy doesn't it.

1 minute ago, Jonbeez said:

I am plugged into the rear line out, the same green one that I would always plug into. It sounds crazy doesn't it.

try unplugging the speakers, turning them on/off, and plugging them back in after touching the jack (to get rid of any residual voltage)

1 minute ago, Herloux said:

It does sound like power surging back to the system. Try and reproduce the problem with other (but similar) speakers perhaps?

The thing is, my speakers are just plugged into an extension lead from the wall, the same extension lead that they were plugged into with my old rig too. The only connection to the PC is through the mini jack to the motherboard.

4 minutes ago, Jonbeez said:

The thing is, my speakers are just plugged into an extension lead from the wall, the same extension lead that they were plugged into with my old rig too. The only connection to the PC is through the mini jack to the motherboard.

If the extension lead has both of them plugged in it could cause it to draw extra power when they turn on but it levels itself out after. 

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 minute ago, Prokart2000 said:

If the extension lead has both of them plugged in it could cause it to draw extra power when they turn on but it levels itself out after. 

Okay yeah I think it's a problem with the extension lead. I unplugged the jack from the mobo and tried it again and the same thing happened. It's just so weird that it's only just started doing it after years of using the same extension lead. I guess I'll just buy a new lead now ha

I'm honestly no expert. But I have received a slight shock from a speaker cable like that. Not when turning them on or off, but just when the speakers were on in general. No idea what caused it, but perhaps your previous computer was less sensitive to the issue?

1 minute ago, Jonbeez said:

Okay yeah I think it's a problem with the extension lead. I unplugged the jack from the mobo and tried it again and the same thing happened. It's just so weird that it's only just started doing it after years of using the same extension lead. I guess I'll just buy a new lead now ha

it might be overloading and that it cannot supply the same amps it used to, im not too sure on electrics 

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB