1080 factory overclock unstable?

Biecher

I got a Palti 1080 Gamerock for about 3 weeks and I'm experiencing some issues with it.

When playing games like RotTR, DOOM or Metro, the screen goes black from time to time when hitting a loading screen.

Overclocking the memory further, using afterburner, seems to increase the number of crashes.

Is this behaviour due to driver issues or is my card bad?

4 minutes ago, Biecher said:

I got a Palti 1080 Gamerock for about 3 weeks and I'm experiencing some issues with it.

When playing games like RotTR, DOOM or Metro, the screen goes black from time to time when hitting a loading screen.

Overclocking the memory further, using afterburner, seems to increase the number of crashes.

Is this behaviour due to driver issues or is my card bad?

Nvidia drivers hasn't been that stable recently but you have a 1080 so there's not much you can go back onto :/

Try increasing voltage/power and/or downclocking :P

Also, what PSU do you have?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

What card do you have? Have you OC'ed the card in any way? (i.e. did you even change the card to "OC Mode" or something along those lines?)

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

1 minute ago, failblox said:

What card do you have? Have you OC'ed the card in any way? (i.e. did you even change the card to "OC Mode" or something along those lines?)

Palit Gamrock Premium. I did overclock the card using afterburner, but after experiencing issues I went back to the factory settings (5250MHz).

This fixed my issues in DOOM, but Metro still crashes relatively frequently. Mostly when hitting a loading screen. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Nvidia drivers hasn't been that stable recently but you have a 1080 so there's not much you can go back onto :/

Try increasing voltage/power and/or downclocking :P

Also, what PSU do you have?

Downclocking below factory overclock? No way :D 

btw. temperatures are below 70°C under full load.

3 minutes ago, Biecher said:

Can you elaborate a bit on "factory overclock"? I'm not too sure what you mean by that. Also, is it just Metro that crashes, or is it other games as well?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

5 minutes ago, Biecher said:

Well do it as you're troubleshooting right now to find out the cause of the issue...

What PSU do ya have?

26 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well do it as you're troubleshooting right now to find out the cause of the issue...

What PSU do ya have?

My system specs:

everything is less than 6 weeks old

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger

Ram: corsair DDR4 2400 16GB

CPU: i7 6700k @4.6GHZ

GPU: gtx1080 Palit Gamerock Premium

PSU: RM 850i

okay, things I'll do to troubleshoot:

- maybe uninstall afterburner and run different games?

- downclock to 5GHz using afterburner

btw: when experiencing crashes, sometimes my motherboard shows a message that surge protection was triggered.

So maybe the psu is bad?

28 minutes ago, failblox said:

Can you elaborate a bit on "factory overclock"? I'm not too sure what you mean by that. Also, is it just Metro that crashes, or is it other games as well?

the clockspeed the non reference card runs at out of the box. (no overclock applied using additional software)

DOOM and Rise of the Tomb Raider as well, but Metro far more often. 

Was it crashing before your CPU OC? Also check whether your motherboard could be short circuiting anywhere as my asus x99-s was displaying OC failed and power surge errors and it was fixed the second I added something to replace the missing MB standoff :P 

(your PSU shouldn't be causing any problems so...)

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Was it crashing before your CPU OC? Also check whether your motherboard could be short circuiting anywhere as my asus x99-s was displaying OC failed and power surge errors and it was fixed the second I added something to replace the missing MB standoff :P 

(your PSU shouldn't be causing any problems so...)

I don't know, I overclocked my CPU as soon as I got it, graphics card arrived weeks later.

I checked everything inside the case, there aren't any problems. Temperatures are good as well. 

What makes me wonder is that the PC runs fine in everyday use, or when stress testing using Aida64 and/or valley.

The only problem is black loading screens. Mostly, I can actually tab out and close the game, so it is not even crashing. 

It seems like it has some issues with loading textures into the memory, at least that's what I think is mostly done in loading screens. :D

I don't know, I overclocked my CPU as soon as I got it, graphics card arrived weeks later.

I checked everything inside the case, there aren't any problems. Temperatures are good as well. 

What makes me wonder is that the PC runs fine in everyday use, or when stress testing using Aida64 and/or valley.

The only problem is black loading screens. Mostly, I can actually tab out and close the game, so it is not even crashing. 

It seems like it has some issues with loading textures into the memory, at least that's what I think is mostly done in loading screens. :D

Bad drivers or something software related l think...can you run your CPU at default settings/clocks anyway?

Believe it or not, an unstable CPU overclock as a result of to little voltage can cause similar issues.  

Another similar issue I've had with this are black screens when stopping ReachBench.  A slight bump up in voltage fixes it.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Bad drivers or something software related l think...can you run your CPU at default settings/clocks anyway?

sure.

Maybe I should try running my CPU at default clocks and uninstall afterburner.

btw, thank you I appreciate your help 

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Believe it or not, an unstable CPU overclock as a result of to little voltage can cause similar issues.  

Another similar issue I've had with this are black screens when stopping ReachBench.  A slight bump up in voltage fixes it.

okay, I didn't think of a CPU overclock problem because I can force the issue to happen more frequently when overclocking GPU memory.

But I'll try without afterburner and CPU overclock.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Biecher said:

okay, I didn't think of a CPU overclock problem because I can force the issue to happen more frequently when overclocking GPU memory.

Thank you

it can be both the GPU and CPU which is why when you're troubleshooting you try everything even if it doesn't look to be related...

Thank you

Your GPU memory overclock may have further contributed to CPU instability.  As you push more through the GPU, you demand more of the CPU.  

1 hour ago, Biecher said:

My system specs:

everything is less than 6 weeks old

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger

Ram: corsair DDR4 2400 16GB

CPU: i7 6700k @4.6GHZ

GPU: gtx1080 Palit Gamerock Premium

PSU: RM 850i

okay, things I'll do to troubleshoot:

- maybe uninstall afterburner and run different games?

- downclock to 5GHz using afterburner

btw: when experiencing crashes, sometimes my motherboard shows a message that surge protection was triggered.

So maybe the psu is bad?

the clockspeed the non reference card runs at out of the box. (no overclock applied using additional software)

DOOM and Rise of the Tomb Raider as well, but Metro far more often. 

As other people have mentioned, I recommend testing the stability of your 4.6GHz OC by running a stress testing program like AIDA64 for at least 24 hours to double check whether or not the problem is actually with the GPU.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Well if I read your posts correctly your system was working fine for weeks until the GPU arrived? Then crashes started happening? If this is correct then you could be having a PSU issue because basically the same thing has happened to me before. 

19 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

it can be both the GPU and CPU which is why when you're troubleshooting you try everything even if it doesn't look to be related...

Yes, you are right.

Anyhow, I did some testing. Metro still crashes from time to time even with CPU at default clock and GPU Bios switch set to the normal profile. 

I even think I found a pattern, It crashes almost every time when I start it for the first time after rebooting my pc.

So I think this is a different problem.

I'll keep testing with different games...

that PSU is highly rated, and it would be more than enough to power the system. 

I would overvolt the GPU a bit to see if that helps with stability.

But it sounds more like you have a problem with CPU/RAM IMO. A GPU doesn't usually cause the whole system to crash, the drivers will crash and restart. 

have you tried different drivers yet? Try all the ones available for the 1080 :P 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

have you tried different drivers yet? Try all the ones available for the 1080 :P 

Unfortunately not, I haven't had time yet. This troubleshooting process will take a while...

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Can you force a maximum framerate?

What do you mean, disabling vsync?

1 minute ago, Biecher said:

Unfortunately not, I haven't had time yet. This troubleshooting process will take a while...

What do you mean, disabling vsync?

Either enabling vsync globally or setting a max framerate that matches your monitor. Loading screens often get thousands of FPS and this could be whats causing issues

When your screen goes black, does it crash or continue? is it a very short black flash?