Origin PC removes AMD GPU option from it's systems.

beebskadoo

The company Origin, known for it's high end workstation and gaming machines has announced that they will be dropping Radeon GPU's from their configurations claiming a combination of Customer feedback and performance issues.

In an Engadget.com article, Origin told the tech website quote

'This decision was based on a combination of many factors including customer experiences, GPU performance/drivers/stability, and requests from our support staff. Based on our 15+ years of experience building and selling award winning high-performance PCs, we strongly feel the best PC gaming experience is on NVIDIA GPUs.'

I have a mixed bag of feelings about this, It's good that they listen to customer feedback and it's great they want to have the best customer experience, but at the same time this puts AMD fans at a loss when it comes to ordering an Origin PC. 

Out of pure speculation it is possible that Nvidia has influenced Origins decisions. With their recently announced BattleBox concept it' fair to say that this may have had an effect on this decision.

What are your thoughts?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Damn, that's pretty big shots fired. But really, who cares? 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

i wanted to post that like 10 min ago

but CBA

post the other article on engadget about Tor

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i wanted to post that like 10 min ago

but CBA

post the other article on engadget about Tor

I was hoping it hadn't been posted already :) Sometimes the search function is a little buggy. For me at least.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

You know nvidia paid for this stunt...

I am thinking that this may be a possibility. 

Hail Sithis!

This is actually pretty interesting. It basically shuts out AMD which has 45% of the GPU market.

This is especially interesting because the new GPU's are right around the corner.

Hail Sithis!

This doesn't really affect AMD, was probably anyway an unimaginably small portion of their total GPU sales.

This could be a combination of many things. I mean the issues with crossfire frame timing. The Eyefinity frame timing issues. This is actually upsetting. I hope we don't see other vendors doing similar things, it's just bad for the industry in general.

Hail Sithis!

This doesn't really affect AMD, was probably anyway an unimaginably small portion of their total GPU sales.

I doubt that's even remotely close. 

Hail Sithis!

I don't see what the big deal is, its not like Origin is a huge part of AMD's sales... overall its prolly half a drop in the bucket for AMD

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

When I read the title, I thought Origin (ea) has somehow dropped support for AMD cards in their future games (Battlefield 4, etc.)

That would've been horrible.

When I read the title, I thought Origin (ea) has somehow dropped support for AMD cards in their future games (Battlefield 4, etc.)

That would've been horrible.

That wouldn't have made sense. :)

Hail Sithis!

I don't see what the big deal is, its not like Origin is a huge part of AMD's sales... overall its prolly half a drop in the bucket for AMD

How do you know what origins sales numbers look like? 

Hail Sithis!

How do you know what origins sales numbers look like? 

I don't know what their sales are like, but I do know its not enough to make AMD worry about it.  And its like every pc Origin sold had an AMD gpu in it before. 

Edit:

AMD's stock price hasn't been affected by this...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

This is huge in my opinion. Think about it, they know the new GPUs are around the corner and they are dropping AMD support on the GPU section?! This is crazy, wonder what will happen next!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

My thoughts exactly. I doubt they move that many PCs in the first place.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

This is huge in my opinion. Think about it, they know the new GPUs are around the corner and they are dropping AMD support on the GPU section?! This is crazy, wonder what will happen next!

This was my exact thought. I mean they must know something we don't about the new Radeons. Maybe they're not that great. Who knows. I'm trying not to speculate but there is a lot of stuff going on with the industry to ignore something like this. This isn't something t obe ignored IMHO

Hail Sithis!

This has got to be the mot ridiculous thing Origin PC have ever done, especially now that AMD is stealing away market share from Nvidia, coming out with mantle & their new line-up of graphics cards.

I honestly doubt this has anything to do with the quality of AMD's gaming experience & more to do with an exclusive partnership Nvidia is pursuing with Origin.

i dont think this was a very smart move that they made since the new 200 series is coming out soon 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Does origin only make gaming machines? For professional programs removing AMD GPU's could cost them a significant market share.

However they may bring back the 290X I doubt they will ignore such a big fanboy product.

What happens to people who have already bought AMD based systems, how will this affect the support offered to those customers who would have paid a huge premium for an origin pc?

blows my mind that some of you actually think this is an nvidia conspiracy?

If I sell pre-made high-end gaming PC's, which are not cheap - I'm probably selling them to people who aren't very versed in tech

When said customer spends a few GRAND on an expensive setup, and tries...let's say Eyefinity and has a terrible frame pacing experience

how do I - as Origin in this example - explain to this customer that he has to "deal with it"? hope for a fix soon?

i think is coincides with the news that Nvidia is partnering with these kind of PC makers. im sure Nvidia had some thing to do with it,

though i dont think this will affect AMD in any significant way.