Too much Amps?

dtaflorida

Hi, first time posting in this section.

I have a little hobby project, where I'm trying to power a pump. It's a cheap little 12V .4A DC pump and I was wondering if connecting it to a DC power of 12V 1A would cause any damage to the pump?

Do I need to source my power supply more closely to the power needs of the pump?

I was gonna connect this to a little solar USB battery charger with an up step USB adapter, but for testing I was using a 12V 1A adapter.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

AFAIK, your device will only draw the amount of amps it can actually use, so having a 1A power supply vs a 30A power supply will make no difference to your device, as long as it is receiving enough power to begin with. It's the voltage that you have to make sure is of the correct value.

When in doubt, re-format.

7 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

AFAIK, your device will only draw the amount of amps it can actually use, so having a 1A power supply vs a 30A power supply will make no difference to your device, as long as it is receiving enough power to begin with. It's the voltage that you have to make sure is of the correct value

That's what I thought. This is actually a post mortem post... the pump died after about 5 mins of testing it. Fortunately it's an Amazon Prime item so free return for refund. Think I'll have go up in price and quality from the cheapest 12V DC pump I could find there.

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

10 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

That's what I thought. This is actually a post mortem post... the pump died after about 5 mins of testing it. Fortunately it's an Amazon Prime item so free return for refund. Think I'll have go up in price and quality from the cheapest 12V DC pump I could find there.

Did you run the pump dry most don't do well if you don't have fluid flowing through them, the power supply as long as it was providing the correct voltage isn't an issue as mentioned it only draws as much current as the pump requires. 

Pump motors are cooled by the water that's flowing through them.. Without them, they die pretty quickly..

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

7 hours ago, Huntsman said:

Pump motors are cooled by the water that's flowing through them.. Without them, they die pretty quickly

I need a recommendation for a pump that might run dry.

3 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

I need a recommendation for a pump that might run dry.

IIRC, those are generally pretty expensive. I would either make sure that it won't run dry, or use another method of transporting the liquid. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

If you don't need much, I think some on spark fun or adafruit might have one that can run dry. 

ASU

31 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

If you don't need much, I think some on spark fun or adafruit might have one that can run dry. 

I see, a peristaltic pump. LIke the kind in my son's bubble gun. Hmm, volume seems too low if it pumps anything as much as bubble gun does. 

8 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

I see, a peristaltic pump. LIke the kind in my son's bubble gun. Hmm, volume seems too low if it pumps anything as much as bubble gun does. 

Check the specs? What are you trying to build? Robo bartender? 

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Check the specs? What are you trying to build? Robo bartender?

Solar powered bucket swamp cooler. Depending on the pump flow and psi I might have to modify my tubing, The previous pump was sufficient to force water out of the tubing with pinholes in it. 

2 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

What if you used a DDC pump? 

ASU

8 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

What if you used a DDC pump?

Does that fair well when dry? I see it's mostly used on water cooling PCs. Not sure if it's a type of pump or a model of pump from EK. 

2 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

Well the DDC is not cooled by the water, that's why you see them with heatsinks. However, I think they still get fucked up when dry because of the impeller using a wet seal or something. Jayztwocents has talked about pumps in the past, I think he made a whole video on the subject.  

ASU

• 2 weeks later...

Found something that will work. Diaphragm pumps can run dry and not break. And I managed to find something with about as much flow rate as the cheap $8 pump I was using before. 

A bit more expensive at $30

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLKT4OO

3 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Found something that will work. Diaphragm pumps can run dry and not break. And I managed to find something with about as much flow rate as the cheap $8 pump I was using before. 

A bit more expensive at $30

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLKT4OO

Yeah that looks to be a good choice for the application, what are you using this for btw?

Just a solar powered bucket swamp cooler for fun.

2 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Just a solar powered bucket swamp cooler for fun.

Yeah I don't see a problem with that just make sure your solar panel is capable of delivering enough amperage and have enough battery capacity to run the pump if there is no sun as it looks to be a max peak draw of 2.7Amp.