Used 3960x vs new 6600k

1 hour ago, FNik said:

Thank you guys for the input. I knew the 6600k is the more 'sane' choice, but having an extreme type CPU in your system is sexy as fuck :). Basically I wanted style points, lol

And no one sells a Xeon e3 1240v3 in my country, used on the web or in the store.

I have the money to buy it now but by the time I buy a new rig (not in a hurry), both Kaby Lake and AMD Zen will come out so I'd probably wait.

if you have a q6600 why not do the Xeon mod on the motherboard. run a faster X5460 Xeon CPU then overclock it to 4.0GHz and you can keep your rig for another year or so. it only costs around $20 for the mod. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

@glitchmaster0001 I'm interested in learning more about this mod you speak of - does it have a fancy name to google or anything that might help us with research on it?

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

1 minute ago, Cracklingice said:

@glitchmaster0001 I'm interested in learning more about this mod you speak of - does it have a fancy name to google or anything that might help us with research on it?

its called the LGA 771 to 775 Xeon Mod. ive done this mod once and im currently doing it again on a much better motherboard and CPU cooler. follow my threads on LTT for more info on it! 

first time on a p35 board

second time on a high end p45 board with much bettter cooler 

this mod is well worth it if you have an older 775 system lying around and you want to breath life into it. it does surprisingly well and is on par with an i5 2500 when its overclocked to 4.0GHz 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Cracklingice said:

Perhaps something like this?  It's basically like a down clocked (locked) i7 without on board video.  I've heard the i7 is pretty expensive in europe so this might be better?
http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/PVrr3C

i did recommend him the cheaper e3 1240v3 cpu as you can buy them used for around $200 

Interesting mod.  Definitely cheaper than a dual solution, but /drool over dual xeon instead of only one.  Unfortunately I probably don't have a compatible board.  If I do - I'd have to re-cap the entire thing first as I screwed myself twice with chinese caps when that was going around.  Haven't built a system since. :(  History with that in the spoiler to save space and it's not really on topic.

Spoiler

First board to screw me and lasted just under 2 years.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813187008

Second board to screw me and lasted at least 4 years before becoming unstable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813187021

Lesson learned - don't buy cheap mobos.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Call me insane but I just sold my 4770 rig for an e5 2670v1 combo with plans to upgrade to an e5 2680v2. Hear me out cause I've made the jump.

Current rig:

Unbranded Intel OEM mobo

E5 2670v1 (Ivybrigde 8 core 16 thread 2.6ghz all cores, 3,3ghz boost- actual is 3.0 all cores, 3.6ghz single)

16gb ddr3 1600

250g 850 evo

gtx 750ti

old rig:

same save for i7 4770

H97 fatality killer mobo

Single threaded use sees my cpu boosting to 3.5-3.6. With the IPC improvement that equates to about 3.0 on the Haswell side of things. people are still gaming on laptops that have worse single thread performance than this and they are fine. The only time it will make any noticeable difference is when you plays at very low res (less than 1080P) and pushing insane frame rates.

One thing to add, the temps on my cpu is much much much lower than the 4770. Using the same cooler, same ambient temp and same case (Aaradwolf something for the cooler) my 4770 in Intel burn test got to 71 degress while my E5 2670 only got to 47!!!

Look, in every way you slice it 6600k is just consumer parts, there is no way for you to spend more and get more out of it. You can only gets like 5-10% improvement by buying a new processor on it. On the X79 platform though, finding an E5 2680v2 10 core 2.8ghz monster to plug in after you got sick of your 3960X is a nice upgrade path. Company are dumping xeons for insane prices and getting a foot hold in the X79 platform will pays dividends in the future. I would have jump to the e5 2680v2 which could be found in Hanoi Vietnam for less than 350$ used if i had enough cash. Instead I got my current combo for less than 200$.

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

For x79 the e5 2670 or 3930k are the way to go.  You can get them from the UK for about £120 for a 3930k atm.  And the 2670 are less than £50 on eBay. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016