Im a newb with this

Which would be better for gaming and video editing ?

Intel Core i5‑4690K 3.5 GHz Quad‑Core 

or

AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core

well... the 4690k would require a $110-ish mobo and a $50-80 tower cooler to be in its element.

the FX9590 would need a $150-ish mobo and a $100-150 watercooler to not catch fire.

it is hard to recommend a product when to use it safely you need to double the cost of every part around it.

The i5 4690k by a long shot. The FX 9590 looks fast on paper, all it is is a lot power hungry, really hot running FX 8320 which isn't that great and will require a very good PSU and an expensive motherboard.

Core i5, When games cannot use all cores effectively you'd want the FASTEST PER-CORE processor.

Intel wins by a mile in this regard, and games react well to Intels superior IPC.

Rendering, even modern Intel CPU's with LeSS cores, are beating FX as well in encoding times.

Plus, it's an upgradable platform.

The 9590 is not good enough (it can DO the jobs, and run anything the Intel CPU can, but not as well while sustaining top tier performance you expect), and it's their BEST CPU you can buy from AMD.

You can do more with an Intel core than an AMD core @ similar frequencies, not that you should ever compare them clock for clock, it does not work that way.

But gaming and encoding results... can speak for themselves.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

9 minutes ago, IshGames said:

Intel Core i5‑4690K 3.5 GHz Quad‑Core 

How much video editing? Like some really hardcore, production quality stuff? Or just some minor stuff like what you would do for a basic youtube channel?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well... the 4690k would require a $110-ish mobo and a $50-80 tower cooler to be in its element.

the FX9590 would need a $150-ish mobo and a $100-150 watercooler to not catch fire.

it is hard to recommend a product when to use it safely you need to double the cost of every part around it.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

i5, 9590 is just a hot, slow mess.

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The i5 4690k by a long shot. The FX 9590 looks fast on paper, all it is is a lot power hungry, really hot running FX 8320 which isn't that great and will require a very good PSU and an expensive motherboard.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

should probably also add the FX9000 series' performance benefit over the i5 would be disappointing at best.

2 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Core i5, When games cannot use all cores effectively you'd want the FASTEST PER-CORE processor.

Intel wins by a mile in this regard, and games react well to Intels superior IPC.

Rendering, even modern Intel CPU's with LeSS cores, are beating FX as well in encoding times.

Plus, it's an upgradable platform.

The 9590 is not good enough (it can DO the jobs, and run anything the Intel CPU can, but not as well while sustaining top tier performance you expect), and it's their BEST CPU you can buy from AMD.

You can do more with an Intel core than an AMD core @ similar frequencies, not that you should ever compare them clock for clock, it does not work that way.

But gaming and encoding results... can speak for themselves.

Okay I ask this because I recently bought a build and the 9590 will not work or something happened I have no f*cking clue. So we decided lets just change the cpu. I did not know about the heat issue and it literally burned my finger now that you guys are telling me I now understand. (Theres a  lot of backstory)
However the mobo we have is  M5A99FX PRO R2.0, 

so I just checked and the i5 wouldnt be compatible or something. 

What do I do, I have money to spend on a good cpu, just tell me which, anyone please help. This is been a huge problem for me. 

Here is the exact build currently for those wondering - 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VRG7Ps

3 minutes ago, IshGames said:

What do I do, I have money to spend on a good cpu, just tell me which, anyone please help. This is been a huge problem for me

So let me get this straight, you want to buy just a CPU that will drop in your current motherboard? Also, what exactly are you doing? By video editing do you mean professional production quality or new youtube channel quality? What type of games do you mostly play? How much money in TOTAL are you planning on spending? Do you already have parts like HDDs and RAM that you want to just transfer to whatever new build you make?

4 minutes ago, IshGames said:

Okay I ask this because I recently bought a build and the 9590 will not work or something happened I have no f*cking clue. So we decided lets just change the cpu. I did not know about the heat issue and it literally burned my finger now that you guys are telling me I now understand. (Theres a  lot of backstory)
However the mobo we have is  M5A99FX PRO R2.0, 

so I just checked and the i5 wouldnt be compatible or something. 

What do I do, I have money to spend on a good cpu, just tell me which, anyone please help. This is been a huge problem for me. 

Here is the exact build currently for those wondering - 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VRG7Ps

question is, why is the fx9590 not working?

if it's overheating, your best purchase would be a 240mm watercooler.

5 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

So let me get this straight, you want to buy just a CPU that will drop in your current motherboard? Also, what exactly are you doing? By video editing do you mean professional production quality or new youtube channel quality? What type of games do you mostly play? How much money in TOTAL are you planning on spending? Do you already have parts like HDDs and RAM that you want to just transfer to whatever new build you make?

Well, I have the build already, the only thing Ill be replacing is the Cpu, everything is in the link i provided. 
Basic editing nothing too big you know? Price under $300

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

question is, why is the fx9590 not working?

if it's overheating, your best purchase would be a 240mm watercooler.

No something happened it fried or something because now each time I try to turn on everything crashes, I had a seperate post about it and no one was able to help, so we decided to just change the cpu and Rma the mobo. 

24 minutes ago, IshGames said:

Well, I have the build already, the only thing Ill be replacing is the Cpu, everything is in the link i provided. 
Basic editing nothing too big you know? Price under $300

Get another fx9590 and then also get this cooler. I have personally used this cooler on an i7-4770k that runs stable at 4.9 ghz when on a single core (I got super lucky lol). Infact, I'm using it right now.