Painting case

So I got gold spray paint, my case is the Corsair Carbide spec 03, all I want to do is paint the two panel's and possibly the fans (not sure if painting the fans is ok), as I have not done this before can anyone guide me in the right direction as what to do?

Use plastidip and you should be good if you want to peel it off later

If not than your average store's spray paint will do just fine on the spec

I wouldn't paint the fan's itself because it will be adding weight and changes the curve

but the outer rim should be fine

Be sure not to spray on a large amount of paint in one go, but rather build it up in layers. Do a thin layer and let it dry for 15-20 minutes, then do another one, let it dry again and continue doing so until you have a nice layer of paint.

I started on a panel recently as well and I also first sanded away the old paint first and put on a primer coat.

[Edit]: Are you painting the whole panel or just part of it?

Edited by tikker

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, tikker said:

Be sure not to spray on a large amount of paint in one go, but rather build it up in layers. Do a thin layer and let it dry for 15-20 minutes, then do another one, let it dry again and continue doing so until you have a nice layer of paint.

I started on a panel recently as well and I also first sanded away the old paint first and put on a primer coat.

[Edit]: Are you painting the whole panel or just part of it?

I wouldn't have to san my grills on my Carbide 540 would i? I just want to spray 'em yellow as i want a full yellow themed PC!

1 hour ago, AppleWhizzer said:

I wouldn't have to san my grills on my Carbide 540 would i? I just want to spray 'em yellow as i want a full yellow themed PC!

Sanding will smooth prep the surface so that paint can adhere nicely. Pretty much any paint job starts with sanding the surface. Also since yellow is a light color you probably want to get a white layer under it instead of black. This is all assuming you're using paint for metal though. If you use plastidip like @Aytex suggested then sanding isn't necessary I think, just spray it on.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

OK should I apply a base coat first, maybe silver? And should I sand first?

14 hours ago, tikker said:

Sanding will smooth prep the surface so that paint can adhere nicely. Pretty much any paint job starts with sanding the surface. Also since yellow is a light color you probably want to get a white layer under it instead of black. This is all assuming you're using paint for metal though. If you use plastidip like @Aytex suggested then sanding isn't necessary I think, just spray it on.

Ok thank you, i never thought that'd i need a white undercoat. I'm not really looking for a blazing yellow though, just a soft matte yellow. Do you think the black will help with not having the yellow as bright? 

4 hours ago, AshesoftheWake1 said:

OK should I apply a base coat first, maybe silver? And should I sand first?

Welcome to the Fourms!

In general you should prep for paint meaning sand or scuff all surfaces with scotch brite or sandpaper and clean before applying a primer ideally. If you want more detailed info I have a guide, the Modding FAQ and it goes over all of this under General Painting.

6 hours ago, AppleWhizzer said:

Ok thank you, i never thought that'd i need a white undercoat. I'm not really looking for a blazing yellow though, just a soft matte yellow. Do you think the black will help with not having the yellow as bright? 

You'll see the black through the yellow unless you do many layers. I'd suggest doing a white undercoat and getting a yellow paint that suits your tastes rather than taking the shot and painting straight over black. However, I think we shouldn't go taking over OP's thread like this ;)

@W-L Nice guide, favorited xD

On 7/8/2016 at 6:33 PM, tikker said:

You'll see the black through the yellow unless you do many layers. I'd suggest doing a white undercoat and getting a yellow paint that suits your tastes rather than taking the shot and painting straight over black. However, I think we shouldn't go taking over OP's thread like this ;)

@W-L Nice guide, favorited xD

Thanks for the help matte! Looked in shed today and found only 2 cans...Unbelievably the colours i needed (white for base coat and yellow!) and i did the rest. Hopefully dry by tomorrow!