Is 6700k worth the extra cash for gaming?

I already got my build with an asus z170 pro gaming, corsair h105, g1 1070 and 8x2 2133 hyperx fury and now i just need to order a cpu.

Money isnt much of a problem, only question is whether it is worth it over the 6600k.

Ive also heared that new games tend to use the extra cores on the 6700k more than before, is that true? 

If Money isn't a Problem just get the 6700k.

it'll be better for more CPU intensive games but also more "Future proof"

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

If you aren't skimping on anything else, then yes, it's worth it.

Also, if you didn't buy your RAM yet, I suggest getting something else. Say, a 2x8 3000mhz kit. If you already have it, though, spend some time OCing it. It'll give you a nice boost.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

It's not a big upgrade and you wouldn't really notice the difference in daily use.  You'll get better value putting that money toward other components, unless you just want the best because it's fun.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

5 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

It's not a big upgrade and you wouldn't really notice the difference in daily use.  You'll get better value putting that money toward other components, unless you just want the best because it's fun.

I already got the rest of the pc so there is really nothing to improve

6 minutes ago, Maist said:

I already got the rest of the pc so there is really nothing to improve

what are your specs?

to game or not to game, that`s the question

1 minute ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

what are your specs?

Gtx 1070 g1, asus z170 pro gaming, corsair h105, hyperx fury 2133 8x2 

1 minute ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

what are your specs?

V

16 minutes ago, Maist said:

I already got my build with an asus z170 pro gaming, corsair h105, g1 1070 and 8x2 2133 hyperx fury and now i just need to order a cpu.

Would you look at that... it's the very first thing in OP's post!

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

V

Would you look at that... it's the very first thing in OP's post!

I was asking for all his specs, because apparently he has enough money to spend, so he can spend it smartly

Would you look at that, some people actually think on the internet, strange eh

to game or not to game, that`s the question

Depends on what you are playing, if your games use no more than 4 corees you can even disable HT. This will get you better temps, and allow you to OC higher than a 6600K should be able to go, a 6700K is obviously better binned as opposed to a 6600k.

The question of weather it is worth is up to you, personally I went with the 6700K, I wanted a proper upgrade to my 3570K.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

dx12 will be able to use more than 4 cores, but I believe that does depend on how devs code things, as is at same clock speeds the 6600k performs within margin of error to a 6700k in current games. So basically it isn't a big improvement at the moment, but that could change quickly with dx12

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Right now you shouldn't see any difference outside of a 1-2 fps range... Go the 6600k and spend the money elsewhere in your system. Maybe save money now and upgrade when Zen/Kaby Lake drops later this year.

"AMD is bringing DDR5 to the mainstream with their all new FX 8450 and FX 9690 Zen processors. Check out the link in the video description to learn more."

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-I Mini-ITX
  • RAM
    16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
  • GPU
  • CHANGING 
  • Case
  • BitFenix Comrade Window Black/
  • Corsair 250D
  • Storage
    Hectron X1 60gb SSD "The China", Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Corsair TX650
  • Cooling
    Hyper TX3
  • Keyboard
    AULA F2012 Mechanical

28 minutes ago, BringBackLCT said:

Right now you shouldn't see any difference outside of a 1-2 fps range... Go the 6600k and spend the money elsewhere in your system. Maybe save money now and upgrade when Zen/Kaby Lake drops later this year.

Will the new kabylake cpus support the current 1151 motherboards? 

I can get a 500gb ssd instead of 250 if im going for an i5, is it a good idea?

12 minutes ago, Maist said:

Will the new kabylake cpus support the current 1151 motherboards?

We don't know. Intel might pull a Broadwell on us and make Kaby exclusive to H/Z170.

13 minutes ago, Maist said:

Nope, not worth it. Stick to the better CPU.

9 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

We don't know. Intel might pull a Broadwell on us and make Kaby exclusive to H/Z170.

Nope, not worth it. Stick to the better CPU.

But i have a z170 board anyways so i should be fine right? 

1 minute ago, Maist said:

But i have a z170 board anyways so i should be fine right? 

Again, we don't know. They said yes, but they might change their minds.

You are most likely going to be fine, though.

7 hours ago, Maist said:

Money isnt much of a problem, only question is whether it is worth it over the 6600k.

Ive also heared that new games tend to use the extra cores on the 6700k more than before, is that true? 

Extra cores? The 6600K and the 6700K both have 4 cores.

i would pick the 6700K. Then your pc can handle Harder tasks, and Maybe some games in the future will benefit from HT. 

If money is no reason, i see absolutely no point in picking i5.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition

7 hours ago, Maist said:

Yes!  running out of SSD space for games is really annoying.  Having to install on a HDD is painful.  I would say 500 GB SSD is the minimum.  Personally, I have 400 GB and use it almost exclusively for windows, games, and office suite (and a few other small programs).  I am always having to uninstall a game to make room for a new one.

That said, I personally wish I had purchased the i7 4790k back when I built my rig - not because I need it, but because I'm slightly neurotic about it and just want the best CPU because it's fun.  It's not worth upgrading because the cost is a lot higher now compared to paying the extra $100 from the start.  In fact, I don't think a CPU upgrade is ever a good choice.  IMO it is much more cost effective to keep your CPU for 3 to 4 years and then upgrade the CPU, motherboard, and RAM all at the same time.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

9 hours ago, Maist said:

It's true in theory, some new games are able to "use" more than four cores. That doesn't mean those extra logical cores make an enormous difference to performance, though. In all cases I can think of where an i7 is faster in a game than an equivalent i5, the i5 was also providing a great experience. There will be zero situations where a game unplayable on an i5 would've run wonderfully on a comparable i7.

That said, while I don't think an i7 is a necessary purchase for gaming, I don't think it's worthless. If you've got the money to spend and you intend to do more with your PC than just game, it can be great to have. If you can get everything else you want for your PC and still get an i7, go for it.