Would buying a modem/router combo be what I need here?

Mr.Meerkat

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=ccd502f4844bd167e3543a2149cd8181&ria=0

That's the best way to put my current problem, my ping has doubled, my down speeds have slowed by 8mbps (aka. 1MB/s) since getting FTTC/VDSL2 fiber :/. Talktalk won't do shizzle and after talking with a few people on talktalk's community forum, they said this...

In those tests the ping has doubled. Leads me to believe that DLM has put a large amount of downstream interleave depth on your line.
It did this to me as well. Problem is quite frankly the hg633 not so super router which can't handle dlm properly and just doesn't work with g.inp (huawei fibre cabinets only).
The interleaving may fix itself over time but never did for me. I bought my own router and things returned to normal within 3 days.

I knew DLM would increase ping but damn, not boycotting down speeds :/. Also the HG633 really is a pile of shit, disgusting 5GHz range, one wall+5 meters and speeds drops to 20mbps from 67-75mbps or 5 meters and speeds drop to 45mbps (2.4GHz-40mbps still after 2 walls and like 15 meters and I do get full speeds with 5GHz when I'm 50cm from the router..0.5 of a meter...) plus no gigabit ports. 

So would getting a new modem help or...hope it solves itself? 

One more thing, I feel like it's more like throttling than anything else as the router/modem is literally syncing at 8mbps slower on the downstream...from almost 80mbps (or 79532kb/s) to 71.5mbps (or 71483kb/s).

(and yes, although I already have 67mbps of down, I want my 75 back like it was a few months ago as this is really annoying as it's more than 10% of my original speed gone :(). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I think it's always worth it to get your own modem rather than the one you 'lease' from your ISP. They're typically outdated and terrible; not to mention the amount they charge you for the unit will pay for a modem/router in a few months, if not a year. I personally like to have a dedicated modem and then a dedicated router, but that's just me. I'm not too familiar with DSL modems, as I've had cable internet for a while now; someone else could probably recommend a specific model better than myself.

2 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

I think it's always worth it to get your own modem rather than the one you 'lease' from your ISP. They're typically outdated and terrible; not to mention the amount they charge you for the unit will pay for a modem/router in a few months, if not a year. I personally like to have a dedicated modem and then a dedicated router, but that's just me. I'm not too familiar with DSL modems, as I've had cable internet for a while now; someone else could probably recommend a specific model better than myself.

This is the UK where you're not leasing one, they give it to you for "free" (well we are probably paying for it from set up fees and shizzle like that), 

18 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

This is the UK where you're not leasing one, they give it to you for "free" (well we are probably paying for it from set up fees and shizzle like that), 

Ahh, didn't realize they did that over there. That's kind of cool; but it probably is still old hardware that is holding you back. You could always get one and make sure it has a decent return policy and if it doesn't improve your speeds you can send it back.

1 minute ago, Omon_Ra said:

Ahh, didn't realize they did that over there. That's kind of cool; but it probably is still old hardware that is holding you back. You could always get one and make sure it has a decent return policy and if it doesn't improve your speeds you can send it back.

Well gotta wait till I'm back from my holiday den :P 

So it wasn't just plusnet that were handing out crappy "routers" (I say that losely when it comes to FTTC/VDSL since what you got was their ADSL modem/router with one port reserved for connecting to the BTOR VDSL modem).

If you want a dedicated router that includes a VDSL modem you will need at least £100 minimum since ADSL/VDSL modem/routers are few and far between (and that includes the cheapest gigabit capable TP-Link TD-W9980 ADSL/VDSL modem/router which one place that used to sell it isn't anymore) and the best models are pricey because this stuff is kinda new.

11 hours ago, demonix00 said:

So it wasn't just plusnet that were handing out crappy "routers" (I say that losely when it comes to FTTC/VDSL since what you got was their ADSL modem/router with one port reserved for connecting to the BTOR VDSL modem).

If you want a dedicated router that includes a VDSL modem you will need at least £100 minimum since ADSL/VDSL modem/routers are few and far between (and that includes the cheapest gigabit capable TP-Link TD-W9980 ADSL/VDSL modem/router which one place that used to sell it isn't anymore) and the best models are pricey because this stuff is kinda new.

nope, the hg633 modem/router combo is VDSL compatible. All I wanted was my internet speeds to be back at it's glory 75mbps down instead of it decreasing 4mbps like every month and a half :/

If the community states that getting a third party modem/router is going to fix the issue, then it's highly likely to fix it since they would have actual experience in the issue.

My prior post on this topic still stands since if you want a VDSL modem/router with gigabit ports, unless you can get your hands on the TP-Link TD-W9980 (PC World is the only place I know that is listing it) you'll have to pay at least £100 (a basic router isn't going to help since you'll need a BTOR VDSL modem as well, and those are going to cost over £30 on the 'bay).