MSI R9 390 8GB VS SAPPHIRE RADEON NITRO R9 OC

Go to solution Solved by Sintezza,

Sapphire 390 Nitro OC its that simple realy.

The Sapphire simply has the best cooling unit on their 390 series.

Msi 390 Gaming can still run pretty hot and loud.

The cooling unit isnt that great.

Also i have not realy seen a RX480 beating a 390 in manny tests sofar.

I'm currently working on a PC build and I'm looking at the R9 390 gpu's for it and I'm undecided to if I should get the MSI version or the Sapphire one. Can anyone tell me how they compare to each other in terms of performance and cooling.

Thanks in advance 

Alastair 

I'd wait for custom 480s instead. 390 prices haven't dropped.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I'd wait for custom 480s instead. 390 prices haven't dropped.

This http://pcpartpicker.com/product/VTCrxr/gigabyte-video-card-gvr939wf28gd (it costs 20$ more and it performs better)

11 minutes ago, McullTMBK said:

I'm currently working on a PC build and I'm looking at the R9 390 gpu's for it and I'm undecided to if I should get the MSI version or the Sapphire one. Can anyone tell me how they compare to each other in terms of performance and cooling.

Thanks in advance 

Alastair 

MSI cards are known for their amazing overclocking abilities. I would recommend MSI over the sapphire one.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

16 minutes ago, McullTMBK said:

Thanks in advance 

Alastair 

The RX 480 perform similarly for less, I'd wait for custom cards before setting my sights on a 390

5 minutes ago, Hero7750 said:

This http://pcpartpicker.com/product/VTCrxr/gigabyte-video-card-gvr939wf28gd (it costs 20$ more and it performs better)

MSI cards are known for their amazing overclocking abilities. I would recommend MSI over the sapphire one.

I beg to differ, my MSI 290 can barely overclock, ASIC Quality of 68.7%.

1 minute ago, SkepticKrab said:

The RX 480 perform similarly for less, I'd wait for custom cards before setting my sights on a 390

well thats the luck of the silicon lottery

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

2 minutes ago, SkepticKrab said:

My Sapphire 290 with the same Asic can go to 1190 at 1.42V :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, SkepticKrab said:

LOL you're lucky

Considering with the stock BIOS it could only go to 1.35V... Also, I can't go any further than 1190 because the VRMs get waaaaay too hot :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

My Sapphire 290 with the same Asic can go to 1190 at 1.42V :P

I do have a question for you about overclocking with voltage. I has successfully overclocked my r9 390 with no over volting. I want to try over volting but I don't know how high to go and what would be safe for the card, any advice? 

My Main PC:

2 minutes ago, Hero7750 said:

I do have a question for you about overclocking with voltage. I has successfully overclocked my r9 390 with no over volting. I want to try over volting but I don't know how high to go and what would be safe for the card, any advice? 

Don't go above 1.4 to 1.45V. That's about it :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Don't go above 1.4 to 1.45V. That's about it :P

Alright, I tried 1.25v before as a test but I never left the voltage on that. And would unigen valley be a good application to test the overclock on?

My Main PC:

OP, get the Nitro. The MSI might OC a little better but the cooler on the Nitro is the best in the industry.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

13 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Considering with the stock BIOS it could only go to 1.35V... Also, I can't go any further than 1190 because the VRMs get waaaaay too hot :P

Yikes, I'll try again with more voltage, I just wasn't comfortable at the time.

If I do happen to brick the card, the 480 will be a good replacement xD

Sapphire 390 Nitro OC its that simple realy.

The Sapphire simply has the best cooling unit on their 390 series.

Msi 390 Gaming can still run pretty hot and loud.

The cooling unit isnt that great.

Also i have not realy seen a RX480 beating a 390 in manny tests sofar.