Msi r9 390x faulty?

Hello fellas!

I  approach you all humbly in need of your superior knowledge  whether to rma my new msi 390x  or not.

So I was very aware that the AMD r9 2xx/3xx series gpus were hardcore toasters in  the department of temperatures.

Well I ofc started playing witcher 3 and OH my god.. the temps went 60c idle to 90c in no time. 

fans were spinning at 100% and the gpu was fully utilized. 

I have a corsair 400c atx case so it can't be because of airflow as I have two 140mm noctua fans for intake air.

Is there something wrong with the cooling? I can't apply a new thermal paste either because I saw a warranty void-sticker in one of the gpu screws needed to remove the shroud and the heatsink.

And i've tested the gpu temps on Total war: warhammer and I ran the in-game benchmark and saw massive thermal throttling after 7 seconds i've started it. This can't be normal? Also I ran the game only with fxaa so no hefty AA's used.

This card is a real wind tunnel for an aftermarket one, but I seriously think the card is faulty.

Its probably not seated properly. Contact MSi to see if you can fix it

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

That hairdryer fix sounds fine to me! Ofc I always can contact the shop that sold it to rma it (they take care of the rma so it's easier here in Finland most of the time) but I'm sick of sending stuff so I usually fix them by my own. I will try the hairdryer thing soon when I get can get a hairdryer (not home atm)

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, MasterMustard said:

That hairdryer fix sounds fine to me! Ofc I always can contact the shop that sold it to rma it (they take care of the rma so it's easier here in Finland most of the time) but I'm sick of sending stuff so I usually fix them by my own. I will try the hairdryer thing soon when I get can get a hairdryer (not home atm)

Thanks!

How long ago did you buy it? There's no need to RMA it if you can get a replacement in the store. When you RMA a card the company will usually send you a refurbished replacement where as a store would give you a brand new replacement.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

1 minute ago, Luke said:

How long ago did you buy it? There's no need to RMA it if you can get a replacement in the store. When you RMA a card the company will usually send you a refurbished replacement where as a store would give you a brand new replacement.

About 2-3 weeks ago? Reason I noticed it at this point is because I was really busy and wasn't at my house for 2/3 of the time i've had the gpu. 

4 minutes ago, MasterMustard said:

About 2-3 weeks ago? Reason I noticed it at this point is because I was really busy and wasn't at my house for 2/3 of the time i've had the gpu. 

It might not be too late to get a replacement. I would definitely consider that before considering an RMA because you'll have to pay for shipping with the RMA as well. Plus i personally would not be ok with swapping a brand new graphics card with a potential refurbished card.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

1 minute ago, Luke said:

It might not be too late to get a replacement. I would definitely consider that before considering an RMA because you'll have to pay for shipping with the RMA as well. Plus i personally would not be ok with swapping a brand new graphics card with a potential refurbished card.

The thing is here in Finland the rma process is much easier and hassle-free for the consumer. You file a rma and they take a look at it and tell if it's a valid reason to rma. Then you send your tech there and they inspect the tech for the described problem and then they just send a new (or another gpu at the same price range) to you and viola no postage fees for me and this procedure lasts about 2 days. So rma'ing wouldn't get to my nerves. Well it isn't that much different but hey no postage fees :P 

I just looked up and I have to rma if i'd want a replacement. 

On 7/3/2016 at 5:16 PM, MasterMustard said:

The thing is here in Finland the rma process is much easier and hassle-free for the consumer. You file a rma and they take a look at it and tell if it's a valid reason to rma. Then you send your tech there and they inspect the tech for the described problem and then they just send a new (or another gpu at the same price range) to you and viola no postage fees for me and this procedure lasts about 2 days. So rma'ing wouldn't get to my nerves. Well it isn't that much different but hey no postage fees :P 

I just looked up and I have to rma if i'd want a replacement. 

Ah yea things work a lot differently there in Finland i guess =)

Here in Canada and the U.S you have to pay like $10 to ship it back and wait weeks just for them to send you back a replacement (rarely is it brand new). But with a store you can return it and they'll swap it for a brand new one instantly.