Cheap cat6 cable not gigabit?

Jackpot17

I bought a cheap kit of "Cat6" cable and connectors etc. on eBay a couple weeks ago.

Only just got round to making a cable up and discovered that the cable is not a normal cat6 in that its pairs are not twisted and the colours are not the same.

So anyway I made a cable up but it only transfers at 100mpbs not gigabit speeds.

What is holding it back? Is it the cable itself or the connectors?

The connectors are standard ones without the comb thing that slides on. (Am I right to say this means they're not cat6?)

Help appreciated.

what ports are you using on pc and router or what ever your connecting together, i had the same issue but with my router im using cat6 cables around my house and my desktop and nas have gigabit ports but my router only has 100 MBit ports (its a bit sh*t as i have 300 mbps up and down connection and the router only has 100MBit ports)

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

4 minutes ago, Jackpot17 said:

eBay

there's your problem.

ebay's full of junk like this:

and among the abundance of "X watt LEDs" actually being X/2 watt LEDs i wouldnt be surprised if that cable got "wrongly called cat6"

1 minute ago, Julian2000nl said:

I hate to tell you this but..

You got scammed,

(mygawd that's bigclive i love his videos)

is there a reason one would not like bigclive's videos? he's amazing at reading chinglish without dying of laughter.

what are you measuring speeds with

and do you have gigabit ports on both devices you are connecting

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

what are you measuring speeds with

and do you have gigabit ports on both devices you are connecting

sometimes its too obvious to spot a company lowballing it.

15 minutes ago, Jackpot17 said:

its pairs are not twisted and the colours are not the same

i'm guessing OP has a "cat6e" cable on his hands, which is an "ebay standard" AKA a lowballed shitty cable.

I personally bought 300 of the 1m Cat5e patch cords (see my profile picture) for 25 cents each. Still on good condition, actually the quality is quite similar with something come with router. I am quite happy with the purchase, because even I do it myself it will cost much more, and I can save 4 mins to crimp both ends.

I suggest you do redo the connector one at a time, most of the time it is just the connector is not strong enough or faulty.