Tesla Model - S Catches fire

IronMarauder

@linussebastian 

I think this might be interesting for linus as he mentioned this vehicle (^)in one of his previous WAN shows, am I correct or am I terribly mistaken?

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/first-fire-tesla-model-sparks-expected-questions-202305776.html

My PC: CPU: Intel i5 4590, @3.30GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte H97-D3H, GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9290, PSU: Corsair CX 600M RAM: Kingston HyperX 2X4GB 1600 CL 10, Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB,  Case: Cooler Master 690 III

You are correct! He talked about this and was surprised that none of them had caught fire since those batteries like to burn! Well, it was a good run...

I'm not really surprised, it was bound to happen. It's still a very safe car.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

At least the car warned the Driver

Wow my phone with Tapatalk is like getting notifications instantly when peep like my posts.

I am a happy wuffy

The batteries are under the main body, yet the front catches fire. Why would you do this to us, science!??

The batteries are under the main body, yet the front catches fire. Why would you do this to us, science!??

Car has a steel liner on the bottom i think allowing it to vent/cool down from the front

I am a happy wuffy

Don't see why the front caught on fire as it is the trunk. Maybe the person placed flammable and explosive items in that trunk and the heat caused it to catch on fire?

Its @LinusTech if you want to tag him.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Exhibit A

ferrari-458-italia-fire-recall.jpg

B

lamborghini-recall.jpg

And

1671_r8_burnt_front-4b77aceacc511.jpg

Shit happens :/

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

See what Tesla will do is see EXACTLY what caused the fire and fix it. Really fix it and make sure it's fix by testing it. 

My car had a recall about 10 years ago because the manifold gasket would sometimes leak oil and catch adjacent wires on fire. What did GM do? did they fix the gasket with a proper rubber one? NO, the recall had technicians MOVE THE WIRES OUT OF THE WAY. Yeah, that's totally  'Murica

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

See what Tesla will do is see EXACTLY what caused the fire and fix it. Really fix it and make sure it's fix by testing it. 

My car had a recall about 10 years ago because the manifold gasket would sometimes leak oil and catch adjacent wires on fire. What did GM do? did they fix the gasket with a proper rubber one? NO, the recall had technicians MOVE THE WIRES OUT OF THE WAY. Yeah, that's totally  'Murica

GM did that because its a waste of money and a mechanics time to to replace something that can be fixed alot simpler.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

GM did that because its a waste of money and a mechanics time to to replace something that can be fixed alot simpler.

Ok, a waste of money is the improper term. More like sheer laziness. A multi-Billion dollar company releases an inferior product (gaskets) and  chooses not to fix the actual problem, instead moves some damn wires out of the way. This is why american auto makers piss me off.

Hail Sithis!

Ok, a waste of money is the improper term. More like sheer laziness. A multi-Billion dollar company releases an inferior product (gaskets) and  chooses not to fix the actual problem, instead moves some damn wires out of the way. This is why american auto makers piss me off.

When was it recalled? If it was in 2007 or something like that, I think most U.S Car Manufacturers were in deep debt at that time.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Exhibit A

ferrari-458-italia-fire-recall.jpg

B

lamborghini-recall.jpg

And

1671_r8_burnt_front-4b77aceacc511.jpg

Shit happens :/

I remember hearing about why the 458 Italia catches fire. If I remember correctly it's because on a hot day, the glue in the rear wheel arches(?) catches fire.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I remember hearing about why the 458 Italia catches fire. If I remember correctly it's because on a hot day, the glue in the rear wheel arches(?) catches fire.

Yes that is exactly why :)

Hail Sithis!

When was it recalled? If it was in 2007 or something like that, I think most U.S Car Manufacturers were in deep debt at that time.

it was recalled before that. However I didn't get a recall notice until a year or so ago because I had just bought my car.

Hail Sithis!

Well the guy did run over something, so I don't think it was an internal problem. The car is still very safe and people shouldn't be discouraged by this one incident. The car also warned to driver something was wrong.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Should have water cooled it and went easier on the overclock.

No, seriously. I'm impressed the car warned the driver in time. It may have saved the drivers life!

See the only reason this story is actually making news is due to all of the backlash from the BIG 3 in Detroit against Tesla. There is a lot of behind the scenes smear campaigning going on and it's trickling in the media. I'm surprised Tesla has made it this far, the Oil industry is really brutal. another reason why america is shit.

Hail Sithis!

Its a waste of money and time thats what it is. It takes alot of time to replace the gasket. Mechanics get paid a 10th of what they normally get for recall work so if theres a way to do it quicker they will do it. And if it fixes it who cares its fixed. Oh also should I mention I worked at my local Chevrolet dealer and doing that particular job is a days work. you have to remove the manifold itself along with everything attached to it whether it be carburated or fuel injection along with all the air fuel system. Then clean the gasket surface down make sure its smooth install it reseal it the reinstall and fine tune everything thats sits on top which varies depending on the car. My point is is that it takes 20 minutes to move the wires or multiple days to do the complete job because you have to order all the new gaskets and get paid a mere fraction of what you would if it werent a recall.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Its a waste of money and time thats what it is. It takes alot of time to replace the gasket. Mechanics get paid a 10th of what they normally get for recall work so if theres a way to do it quicker they will do it. And if it fixes it who cares its fixed.

The issue was with a faulty part GM installed that part and it caused other issues within the engine. I don't care what amount of time it takes to fix the issue, GM fucked up and should have to absorb the costs.Obviously oil leak is not a good thing and it can really mess things up. The fires were really rare but what wasn't rare were all of the other issues that ensued after that. GM was just lazy, admit it. They released an inferior product that they claimed to stand by but failed their customers by ignoring the real issue. People wonder why the american motor industry has went down hill. I mean GM has gotten a lot better at a lot of QC things but this would have never happened at Honda or Toyota, just sayin.

Hail Sithis!