So 480 or 970?

Alright we've seen the benchmarks, obviously the 480 was way overhyped when it was said to compete with the 980 which is totally understandable considering its price, but from the benchmarks i've seen the gtx 970 does slightly out perform the 480.

The Asus 970 Turbo edition is 200$ and so is the 480, which should i get?

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814121926&cm_re=gtx_970_turbo-_-14-121-926-_-Product

Also keep in mind the 4gb version of the rx 480, since the 970 is 200$.

Also is the 1060 worth waiting for? I personally dont think so

which one is cheaper lol

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

3 minutes ago, ItsDanish said:

Alright we've seen the benchmarks, obviously the 480 was way overhyped when it was said to compete with the 980 which is totally understandable considering its price, but from the benchmarks i've seen the gtx 970 does slightly out perform the 480.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814121926&cm_re=gtx_970_turbo-_-14-121-926-_-Product

From what I've seen, the 480 bounces from the 970 range to past the nano. With the 1060 on the horizon, and with AMd's trademark 3 week give or take driver shine, and power fiasco, waiting would be a good idea.

970 is the same as teh RX 480 and trhe RX 480 is cheaper so i will pick the RX 480

lives on

BAKABT

i would say rx 480 because it trades blows with 970 now but wants the drivers are better it will probobly beat out 970

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

7 minutes ago, Prömetheus said:

which one is cheaper lol

Not really. The 480 is a better buy. ESPECIALLY than the ASUS Turbo card, which is utter crap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

9 minutes ago, ItsDanish said:

Heads up, before you do decide, wait at least to see if the 480's power problems are resolved with the driver update, or with the AIB cards.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Not really. The 480 is a better buy.

it depends on what country the OP lives though, i mean the benchmarks is not that different though

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Not after the update caps it's power delivery so that this doesn't keep happening.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480/Overclocking-Current-Testing

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qupw4/super_psa_all_rx480_owners_please_attempt_to/

Reddit Thread about undervolting the card. Some pretty good results after doing so.

1 minute ago, Prömetheus said:

it depends on what country the OP lives though, i mean the benchmarks is not that different though

That is not the benchmarks that I mean, even assuming that the 480 and 970 perform exactly the same right now (which they're not), you're still looking at a newer card, with newer features, MUCH better DX12 and longer driver support and not gimped VRAM.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Not after the update caps it's power delivery so that this doesn't keep happening.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480/Overclocking-Current-Testing

I'm amost certain that this will only concern the reference cards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qupw4/super_psa_all_rx480_owners_please_attempt_to/

Reddit Thread about undervolting the card. Some pretty good results after doing so.

AMD is releasing a patch soon that limits voltage as well. If Nvidia released a card that did this, then released a patch that capped voltage, this forum would freak.

But it's AMD, so it's OK I guess...

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

AMD is releasing a patch soon that limits voltage as well. If Nvidia released a card that did this, then released a patch that capped voltage, this forum would freak.

Never said it was okay. I'm saying, people have been trying stuff, and presto, results. 

Wait for custom 480s to be reviewed. And then decide. 

Also, turbo edition? Ew. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Reference cards are usually garbage, both AMD and Nvidia have failed multiple times to deliver quality reference cards, RX 480 reference - crap, R9 290X reference - crap, GTX 1080 Fanboy/Fermi Edition - crap, I wouldn't really put a sticker on card that it's bad because of what issues the reference card has, R9 290X is a great card imo, only the 94C reference ones were bad. Same with the GTX 1080

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm amost certain that this will only concern the reference cards.

Or, rather than support a company that sends out cards they know draw over 90w from the PCI-E slot. You get a 970 that performs the same or better.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Never said it was okay. I'm saying, people have been trying stuff, and presto, results. 

It would be better if AMD had not shipped a card people have to limit. But I hear ya.

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Lol, you still have the cheek to say that when the Nvidia army has been working in full force since the Rx 480 came out? 

Yer naughty boi xD 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Or, rather than support a company that sends out cards they know draw over 90w from the PCI-E slot. You get a 970 that performs the same or better.

It would be better if AMD had not shipped a card people have to limit. But I hear ya.

Yeah, rather than support that company I should support a company that sends out 3,5GB of 192GB/S VRAM cards with the last 512MB part being 28GB/S only and markets them as full 4GB? Not to mention the apparently "mistaken" too high amount of ROPs and L2 cache. And also losing FPS when transitioning to DX12?

I'm a reasonable man, I wouldn't literally shoot myself in the foot by getting the 970 atm

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Lol, you still have the cheek to say that when the Nvidia army has been working in full force since the Rx 480 came out? 

Yer naughty boi xD 

You deny that if Nvidia had this issue you wouldn't be freaking out?

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, rather than support that company I should support a company that sends out 3,5GB of 192GB/S VRAM cards with the last 512MB part being 28GB/S only and markets them as full 4GB? Not to mention the apparently "mistaken" too high amount of ROPs and L2 cache. And also losing FPS when transitioning to DX12?

I'm a reasonable man, I wouldn't literally shoot myself in the foot by getting the 970 atm

Ah, so Nvidia pulls the 3,5g deal and the internet freaks. AMD ships a card that pulls over 90w from the PCI-E and everyone's calm. But there isn't a bias...

It also would've been better for Nvidia to have their "4GB" 970 to actually be 4GB. Your point? Companies just do stupid things over and over, and the internet will rag on them for it as time goes on. Plenty of things all companies could've done, AMD stop using Bulldozer for years, Intel to take their consumer CPUs seriously, god damn Comcast not to bottleneck Netflix, so on so forth. At this point, it's who won't do something stupid for the longest.

You deny that if Nvidia had this issue you wouldn't be freaking out?

Ah, so Nvidia pulls the 3,5g deal and the internet freaks. AMD ships a card that pulls over 90w from the PCI-E and everyone's calm. But there isn't a bias...

The hell you've been? I've seen plenty of threads and chats about people foaming at the mouth with the 480. 

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Well, for me those things are incomparable, as long as the performance doesn't decrease and nothing in my PC breaks, I don't really mind...

Besides, an analogy: If you pay 100k $ more for a more luxurious car, you expect it to have a higher-standard and not have any stupid flaws, right? Same applies here, you pay premium for Nvidia NOT to have issues or "suprises" like that, and yet you doget them...

I don't mind paying premium as long as it's worth it, in this case, it's really not.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

It also would've been better for Nvidia to have their "4GB" 970 to actually be 4GB. Your point? Companies just do stupid things over and over, and the internet will rag on them for it as time goes on. Plenty of things all companies could've done, AMD stop using Bulldozer for years, Intel to take their consumer CPUs seriously, god damn Comcast not to bottleneck Netflix, so on so forth. At this point, it's who won't do something stupid for the longest.

The hell you've been? I've seen plenty of threads and chats about people foaming at the mouth with the 480. 

Not here. Here's it's undervolt and wait for the fix. The same forum that freaked out about a eject button in a Nvidia driver, makes excuses for AMD over this.

Not here. Here's it's undervolt and wait for the fix. The same forum that freaked out about a eject button in a Nvidia driver, makes excuses for AMD over this.

You are aware we have a 30+ page thread with half the people arguing how this problem with the 480 is stupid, and how it's pricing globally is dumb right?