So 480 or 970?

I vote wait for the 1060, the 970 is about equal to a 480 yes but we will have to see if that continues, but based on the jump 1070 made from 970 I expect the 1060 will be pretty good, whether it's priced well or not we'll see.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

You are aware we have a 30+ page thread with half the people arguing how this problem with the 480 is stupid, and how it's pricing globally is dumb right?

I'm talking about here, where someone is making an investment that effects them for the life of that investment. And their rig.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I vote wait for the 1060, the 970 is about equal to a 480 yes but we will have to see if that continues, but based on the jump 1070 made from 970 I expect the 1060 will be pretty good, whether it's priced well or not we'll see.

The performance jump, while significant, is also followed by the price jump. GTX 1070 costs as much here as a GTX 980 used to. Which means it's priced as much as a one-tier-higher card. Same goes for the 1080. It costs more than the 980Ti cost here at launch. So overall, the jump it not so significant anymore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, App4that said:

You deny that if Nvidia had this issue you wouldn't be freaking out?

Did I freak out when the 3.5/4GB incident came out? Oh right, you weren't here to see the shit storm yet. 

I do the same to AMD what I did to nvidia. I just tell people that the 970 was the same king, just a lil handicapped. Now I tell people to avoid reference 480s. 

Seems fine to me.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'm talking about here, where someone is making an investment that effects them for the life of that investment. And their rig.

If it's this thread in particular your talking about, fair enough. Although, considering we've made a 30+ page thread in hours yesterday, I think people have just gotten it out of their systems at this point.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

The performance jump, while significant, is also followed by the price jump. GTX 1070 costs as much here as a GTX 980 used to. Which means it's priced as much as a one-tier-higher card. Same goes for the 1080. It costs more than the 980Ti cost here at launch. Retarded.

That's why I mentioned the we'll see on the price, I'm almost certain the 1060 will beat the 480 but I'm not sure if the price difference will justify the performance or not.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

23 minutes ago, Prömetheus said:

it depends on what country the OP lives though, i mean the benchmarks is not that different though

I live in the US

If it's this thread in particular your talking about, fair enough. Although, considering we've made a 30+ page thread in hours yesterday, I think people have just gotten it out of their systems at this point.

That's what bugs me. If Nvidia had done this with the 1060 I'd be pissed. And you know this forum would never forget it. There's a heavy bias, this forum is to help people. Not sell AMD products. Or at least I thought that was what it was for.

yeah u know wut, just wait for the aftermarket solution with much pcie power 

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

1 minute ago, ItsDanish said:

I live in the US

Well then the 480 will be a better buy over a 970 or 390, but I'd still wait since your not going to want a reference 480 either way and we should see some 1060 news soon

That's what bugs me. If Nvidia had done this with the 1060 I'd be pissed. And you know this forum would never forget it. There's a heavy bias, this forum is to help people. Not sell AMD products. Or at least I thought that was what it was for.

I don't think this forum will forget the 480 anytime soon. Just because they weren't talking about it, or taking it as seriously as yesterday now, doesn't mean they'll forget about it. It's more than certainly going to come back up in conversations and rants about AMD in the future, just like the 970, just like the Fx series, and just like everything else.

3 minutes ago, Prömetheus said:

yeah u know wut, just wait for the aftermarket solution with much pcie power 

And what else though? People found out about the PCI-E issue after the fact. What's going to come out about the AIB 480s?

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

And what else though? People found out about the PCI-E issue after the fact. What's going to come out about the AIB 480s?

more wccftech leak lol

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-asus-strix-msi-gaming/

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Magic and a re-worked PCB with a new power delivery layout maybe? I'd doubt XFX and the rest would let this problem slide on their own versions of the card, can't say it'd look too good.

Why would you buy a card and then undervolt it?  Ridiculous.  Let's wait for what amd is going to do, but if they gimp the card now, after the reviews were done, that's pretty fishy if you ask me.  There are posts of people burning out their pcie slots.  Not sure if it's true, but here ya go. https://community.amd.com/thread/202410

1 minute ago, Robdarian said:

Why would you buy a card and then undervolt it?  Ridiculous.  Let's wait for what amd is going to do, but if they gimp the card now, after the reviews were done, that's pretty fishy if you ask me.  There are posts of people burning out their pcie slots.  Not sure if it's true, but here ya go. https://community.amd.com/thread/202410

Why? Because it apparently works:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qupw4/super_psa_all_rx480_owners_please_attempt_to/

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Magic and a re-worked PCB with a new power delivery layout maybe? I'd doubt XFX and the rest would let this problem slide on their own versions of the card, can't say it'd look too good.

In my opinion this warrants waiting for the 1060. Maybe the AIB 480s will be good, and if that's the case by the time the 1060 hits mid/late July they'll be easy to find.

In my opinion this warrants waiting for the 1060. Maybe the AIB 480s will be good, and if that's the case by the time the 1060 hits mid/late July they'll be easy to find.

Don't get me wrong, with it being so close, for sure.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

That's always the answer, though, isn't it?  We need the 3rd parties to fix this.  It should be a non-issue at this point.  AMD pushed this card so much, and there's an issue with it, they should be re-calling the cards and issuing refunds because the card won't be getting the same performance once it's undervolted.  Nvidia was ordered to offer refunds on the 970 I believe for the 3.5gb ramgate.

"powergate" That's, now I have a name to use.

I mean, at this point people just end the problem with the word gate. Apple's bend"gate", duh. I need more problems with technology from examples I haven't used yet.

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

So buy a card that doesn't perform how they said and undervolt it?  Shouldn't have to do that, is what i'am getting at.  Do what you like, but I wouldn't want to have to dummy my card I just bought.

2 minutes ago, Robdarian said:

That's always the answer, though, isn't it?  We need the 3rd parties to fix this.  It should be a non-issue at this point.  AMD pushed this card so much, and there's an issue with it, they should be re-calling the cards and issuing refunds because the card won't be getting the same performance once it's undervolted.  Nvidia was ordered to offer refunds on the 970 I believe for the 3.5gb ramgate.

Clocks are still the same, if not better, with people undervolting it. Don't see where you're coming from.

I mean, at this point people just end the problem with the word gate. Apple's bend"gate", duh. I need more problems with technology from examples I haven't used yet.

It would be nice if we could get companies to stop giving us a reason to name their mistakes. Instead the companies would be calling them, "lost sales"