Did I miss it somehow or did Linus completely avoided the 480 power thing on WAN show?

Misanthrope
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
7 hours ago, maulemall said:

Tom's hardware is one, ONE sight that has had the anomalous test.

No, six different reviewing sites has tested it and all has come to the same conclusion. The card violates the PCI-SIG specifications by quite a lot.

Holy shit dude, you are in so much denial I can't even be mad. It's hilarious. Next you will tell me that we shouldn't say the Earth is round because nobody here as been in outer space and therefore all evidence we have might be forged. Come on.

At this point it is a fact that the card is violating the specifications. Even AMD has acknowledged it. Do you really think they would be working on a solution if it didn't happen?

If you are saying we don't have any facts that it has killed any components yet then you would be right. We don't have any solid evidence that it has killed motherboard and whatnot. The problem with that logic is that the card has only been out for like 3 days. Sending too much amperage over electrical components might not kill them instantly. There is however a very high risk that the components will be damaged over time. Your computer might not blow up the second you turn it on, but it might kill your motherboard 6 months from now if you keep using it.

It is easily the biggest story this week (other than the actual news of the RX 480 launch, which they didn't mention either) and they didn't mention it in their news show. Kind of disappointing. A quick mention would have been enough. Or just do it like they did with the GTX 970's memory problems (which they talked about the day after reports were starting to appear). Clearly stats that it is a developing story and then make people aware of potential issues.

Edit: My guess is that Luke was showing Linus the news at 15:40, and Linus response was "I don't want to get involved in that". I don't see what other news would make Linus respond like that.

Really don't know why, he could have just said "We basically have not enough technical know-how to comment one way or another" (Let's face it almost none of us do) and such but to not even address it? Given how he got that exclusive 480 unveiling a little while back...ugh. I hate to think he just swung all the way to the other side to bias for AMD or some sort of draconian NDA he agreed to.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Maybe he's just waiting on AIBs to comment fully on it? I don't think he talked much about the founders edition heat "fiasco" either. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

4 minutes ago, Nup said:

Maybe he's just waiting on AIBs to comment fully on it? I don't think he talked much about the founders edition heat "fiasco" either. 

I know this criticism gets leveled so damn much is basically meaningless but I do think it applies here: how is this Linus tech tips anymore if we avoid tech topics in favor of talking for 20 minutes about candy?

-------

Current Rig

-------

19 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I know this criticism gets leveled so damn much is basically meaningless but I do think it applies here: how is this Linus tech tips anymore if we avoid tech topics in favor of talking for 20 minutes about candy?

I see where you're coming from. But the wan show has veered off from its intent... Not that it shouldn't be covered. A quick comment would have done no harm. 

I like to hope, maybe Luke will cover it in an OCing guide. 

30 minutes ago, Nup said:

I see where you're coming from. But the wan show has veered off from its intent... Not that it shouldn't be covered. A quick comment would have done no harm. 

I like to hope, maybe Luke will cover it in an OCing guide. 

I don't even expect a follow up video or anything like that honestly. But saying "This is something that happens and it may or may not matter jury's out on that" wouldn't exactly hurt the show or anything.

-------

Current Rig

-------

To be fair, the "live show" often talked about very non-tech topics. Hell it just started out as a sort of Q&A for Linus in his Kitchen, to talk about more general topics that he can't really cover in videos, or to give little snippets of behind the scenes stuff.

And when he moved into the Garage with Slick, the off topic-ness certainly was still there.

I haven't watched the WAN show yet, so I cannot comment, so I don't know.

What I do know is that the "My 480 has killed my motherboard" is likely blown out of proportion. Has it really happened? Probably, to a few people. But I fear that many people are jumping onboard with false accusations or are simply misinterpreting their own symptoms (Eg: I OC'd too hard so I'm blaming the Power Issue, or I got a defective card in general but I'm blaming the power issue, etc).

Not so dismiss a potentially real issue, but I haven't seen solid information aside from random Reddit posts yet confirming this.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

To be fair, the "live show" often talked about very non-tech topics. Hell it just started out as a sort of Q&A for Linus in his Kitchen, to talk about more general topics that he can't really cover in videos, or to give little snippets of behind the scenes stuff.

And when he moved into the Garage with Slick, the off topic-ness certainly was still there.

I haven't watched the WAN show yet, so I cannot comment, so I don't know.

What I do know is that the "My 480 has killed my motherboard" is likely blown out of proportion. Has it really happened? Probably, to a few people. But I fear that many people are jumping onboard with false accusations or are simply misinterpreting their own symptoms (Eg: I OC'd too hard so I'm blaming the Power Issue, or I got a defective card in general but I'm blaming the power issue, etc).

Not so dismiss a potentially real issue, but I haven't seen solid information aside from random Reddit posts yet confirming this.

No confirmed kills afaik , but I know of a confirmed shut down issue on a crap AM2 board:

So it is relevant and a brief mention as a P.S.A. would have been nice.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What Linus did was the responsible thing.

The chicken little types on this board who have slandering and defamed AMD because their card needed a driver fix don't deserve or rate a response less they accuse LMG of being the liars that they called AMD or even in cahoots with AMD.

Why give credence or legitimize the "Experts" here who have no background in testing ,Have done no testing and whose major accomplishment is copying and pasting and then putting their limited knowledge into an opinion that could irresponsibly and falsely damage a company and it's reputation further . 

I say that of all the reviewers out there Linus has done the most responsible thing.

1 minute ago, maulemall said:

What Linus did was the responsible thing.

The chicken little types on this board who have slandering and defamed AMD because their card needed a driver fix don't deserve or rate a response less they accuse LMG of being the liars that they called AMD or even in cahoots with AMD.

Why give credence or legitimize the "Experts" here who have no background in testing ,Have done no testing and whose major accomplishment is copying and pasting and then putting their limited knowledge into an opinion that could irresponsibly and falsely damage a company and it's reputation further . 

I say that of all the reviewers out there Linus has done the most responsible thing.

Dude, I didn't suggest he should weight in on the issue. But at the time they went live, it was confirmed to happen whenever it actually has any significant impact or not. Simply stating "This is a thing that happens, not sure if it's an actual issue for most people" doesn't fucking hurts or prematurely takes any side on the argument as you're suggesting.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Dude, I didn't suggest he should weight in on the issue. But at the time they went live, it was confirmed to happen whenever it actually has any significant impact or not. Simply stating "This is a thing that happens, not sure if it's an actual issue for most people" doesn't fucking hurts or prematurely takes any side on the argument as you're suggesting.

Nothing is or was confirmed by anyone of note. No papers were written no boards were if fact damaged and no one is even sure if the card was the cause.

NOTHING has been confirmed except there will be a driver fix issued the 5th for an anomalous problem with a couple tests.

I understand that jumping to conclusions is the only real exercise that most people get around here but some people need proof (Good job Linus).

Nothing is or was confirmed by anyone of note. No papers were written no boards were if fact damaged and no one is even sure if the card was the cause.

NOTHING has been confirmed except there will be a driver fix issued the 5th for an anomalous problem with a couple tests.

I understand that jumping to conclusions is the only real exercise that most people get around here but some people need proof.

1) The fact that it used more than 75 watts was confirmed by Tom's hardware.

2) You're probably making this statement because you continue to misunderstand my point: Stating that drawing more power than a standard doesn't means stating "This is a problem" or "This will cause issues for sure" or even "This may cause issues". Think about it as a news ( you know as in Weekly Analysis and News or WAN show for short). You can state "Man kills 20 on shooting spree at a movie theater" or you could say "Are weak gun laws causing mass murderers? Man kills 20 on shooting spree at movie theater, more after this"

You can just do a simple statement of fact about what happens or you can editorialize about it and offer your thoughts, opinions and even conclusions or predictions on the matter. I actually agree with you that even today it's still far too early to do that. But a statement of fact is in fact useful for people who might watch the show and be unaware of this issue at all. 

Now I don't think I can possibly make my stance any clearer than this so if you keep misconstruing what I am saying for a third time I'll just ignore it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

I don't even expect a follow up video or anything like that honestly. But saying "This is something that happens and it may or may not matter jury's out on that" wouldn't exactly hurt the show or anything.

Yeah absolutely. Wan show usually is great for little PSA's like that. Maybe even saying "watch on if OCing on low end boards". Wouldn't have hurt. 

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

1) The fact that it used more than 75 watts was confirmed by Tom's hardware.

2) You're probably making this statement because you continue to misunderstand my point: Stating that drawing more power than a standard doesn't means stating "This is a problem" or "This will cause issues for sure" or even "This may cause issues". Think about it as a news ( you know as in Weekly Analysis and News or WAN show for short). You can state "Man kills 20 on shooting spree at a movie theater" or you could say "Are weak gun laws causing mass murderers? Man kills 20 on shooting spree at movie theater, more after this"

You can just do a simple statement of fact about what happens or you can editorialize about it and offer your thoughts, opinions and even conclusions or predictions on the matter. I actually agree with you that even today it's still far too early to do that. But a statement of fact is in fact useful for people who might watch the show and be unaware of this issue at all. 

Now I don't think I can possibly make my stance any clearer than this so if you keep misconstruing what I am saying for a third time I'll just ignore it.

And the fact that someone does the responsible thing and let prudence and fact run the show is a good thing.

Again LMG did the responsible and correct action.

2 minutes ago, maulemall said:

And the fact that someone does the responsible thing and let prudence and fact run the show is a good thing.

Again LMG did the responsible and correct action.

So do you care to refute their methodology?

Or is it about sample size? Because at the point of the show many outlets have replicated the results, it was known to be widespread. Seriously you're just white washing AMD here at this point if you think there was nothing to report, that's just clearly a delusion on your part.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So do you care to refute their methodology?

Or is it about sample size? Because at the point of the show many outlets have replicated the results, it was known to be widespread. Seriously you're just white washing AMD here at this point if you think there was nothing to report, that's just clearly a delusion on your part.

No because as I am Not afraid to admit I don't have any ACTUAL facts and or ACTUAL Knowledge of it. But even though no one else here does and their copy and paste evidence is 5th grade and amateurish at best I will leave it to you to argue with them.

I will state that I don't white wash at all. If you actually read what I posted you would see that I WHOLEHEARTEDLY CONDEMN trolls who paint this whole incident with too wide a brush just because they think they know something. 

The limited knowledge and experience of the people who fanned the fires of this "CRISIS"  is Boorishly hilarious.

It's like a middle school debate ..

LMG doesn't have the electrical know how to weigh in, and they don't even make the topic list.  It probably missed the list this week.

And to the naysayers, yes the power draw thing is real, pcper conformed it as well.  Personally I like pcpers methods with the filter.  Their methodology is solid.

Based on what I know about boards and traces and power delivery, it's entirely possible people are blowing out PCI-E slots.  

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

4 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

LMG doesn't have the electrical know how to weigh in, and they don't even make the topic list.  It probably missed the list this week.

And to the naysayers, yes the power draw thing is real, pcper conformed it as well.  Personally I like pcpers methods with the filter.  Their methodology is solid.

Based on what I know about boards and traces and power delivery, it's entirely possible people are blowing out PCI-E slots.  

Well that settles that.

Linus is to ignorant and random guy on the internet said it's real..

Random guy also say that it is possible it's BLOWING OUT PCIE-E SLOTS happening...

WoooHooo.

Ckicken little echoes ...

9 minutes ago, maulemall said:

Well that settles that.

Linus is to ignorant and random guy on the internet said it's real..

Random guy also say that it is possible it's BLOWING OUT PCIE-E SLOTS happening...

WoooHooo.

Ckicken little echoes ...

Clearly you don't know anything about PCB traces, but, please continue.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

Clearly you don't know anything about PCB traces, but, please continue.

no I don't and you obviously haven't done any real tests and are just spouting bullshit.

But that's what separates Linus (A responsible person) and you, Chicken little spreading any rumor and untruth with no actual facts to back them up except the crap that's been regurgitated by other non tester chicken littles.

Notice how I said "No I Don't"

That's called honesty.

3 minutes ago, maulemall said:

no I don't and you obviously haven't done any real tests and are just spouting bullshit.

But that's what separates Linus (A responsible person) and you, Chicken little spreading any rumor and untruth with no actual facts to back them up except the crap that's been regurgitated by other non tester chicken littles.

Notice how I said "No I Don't"

That's called honesty.

The more technical part of what I said is that I could believe some boards experience a dead PCI-E slot due to too much current being pulled through a 0 ohm resistor or thin trace from the power backplane on the motherboard.  Pulling 90W instead of 60W (several more amps) over a 12v trace than it was designed for can absolutely burn out a trace/fuse and cause a dead slot.  That's how electricity works.  If you put too much power through a thin wire, it either blows a fuse or burns out a trace.  And when it's borderline, extended power draw burns it out faster.

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

The more technical part of what I said is that I could believe some boards experience a dead PCI-E slot due to too much current being pulled through a 0 ohm resistor or thin trace from the power backplane on the motherboard.  Pulling 90W instead of 60W (several more amps) over a 12v trace than it was designed for can absolutely burn out a trace/fuse and cause a dead slot.  That's how electricity works.  If you put too much power through a thin wire, it either blows a fuse or burns out a trace.  And when it's borderline, extended power draw burns it out faster.

But what you said is it was possible (There is no proof that it did anything)and this thread is about why Linus didn't put it into the WAN show.

But what you said is it was possible (There is no proof that it did anything)and this thread is about why Linus didn't put it into the WAN show.

Yeah it's possible.  And it probably wasn't in the show because they're busy people and either don't want to comment on a developing story, or they aren't even aware of it being an issue.

4 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Yeah it's possible.  And it probably wasn't in the show because they're busy people and either don't want to comment on a developing story, or they aren't even aware of it being an issue.

It's possible that I am going to bang Meghan Fox but  you know...

deal in actual facts

7 hours ago, maulemall said:

No, six different reviewing sites has tested it and all has come to the same conclusion. The card violates the PCI-SIG specifications by quite a lot.

Holy shit dude, you are in so much denial I can't even be mad. It's hilarious. Next you will tell me that we shouldn't say the Earth is round because nobody here as been in outer space and therefore all evidence we have might be forged. Come on.

At this point it is a fact that the card is violating the specifications. Even AMD has acknowledged it. Do you really think they would be working on a solution if it didn't happen?

If you are saying we don't have any facts that it has killed any components yet then you would be right. We don't have any solid evidence that it has killed motherboard and whatnot. The problem with that logic is that the card has only been out for like 3 days. Sending too much amperage over electrical components might not kill them instantly. There is however a very high risk that the components will be damaged over time. Your computer might not blow up the second you turn it on, but it might kill your motherboard 6 months from now if you keep using it.

It is easily the biggest story this week (other than the actual news of the RX 480 launch, which they didn't mention either) and they didn't mention it in their news show. Kind of disappointing. A quick mention would have been enough. Or just do it like they did with the GTX 970's memory problems (which they talked about the day after reports were starting to appear). Clearly stats that it is a developing story and then make people aware of potential issues.

Edit: My guess is that Luke was showing Linus the news at 15:40, and Linus response was "I don't want to get involved in that". I don't see what other news would make Linus respond like that.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Yea I saw that and I thought that that's one guy who has a little common sense.

Six links would be what you need to post for ANYONE to not shout bullshit.o.O

But if that were true you would have already done it huh.

And now the computer is gonna BLOW UP...xD