NVAPI was being used for a long time

qwertywarrior

NVAPI  is equivalent to AMD's  Mantel

they are both LOW level APIs

NVAPI is NVIDIA's core software development kit that allows direct access to NVIDIA GPUs and drivers on all windows platforms. NVAPI provides support for categories of operations that range beyond the scope of those found in familiar graphics APIs such as DirectX and OpenGL.

and to my surprise it has been used for a while now

nvidia.jpg

EDIT

NVAPI is 5 years old .... .!

http://www.geeks3d.com/20080909/nvidia-nvapi-released/

http://wccftech.com/battlefield-4-frostbite-3-support-amd-mantle-nvidia-nvapi-apis-pc-optimizations/

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Dammit, I can't wait for maxwell :3

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

NVAPI  is equivalent to AMD's  Mantel

i have no idea how old  NVAPI is and how long it was used for

http://wccftech.com/battlefield-4-frostbite-3-support-amd-mantle-nvidia-nvapi-apis-pc-optimizations/

at least 5 years ... http://www.geeks3d.com/20080909/nvidia-nvapi-released/

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Thats good because that way Nvidia know has the means and the reason to update it's own API.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Thats good because that way Nvidia know has the means and the reason to update it's own API.

Nvidia's reaction to Mantel

"we've had this for YEARS !"

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Haha, almost like Android's reaction to iOS7 toggles.....For that matter...everything iOS7

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Haha, almost like iOS7 toggles.

lol you read my mind

Well as I see it, the advantage of Mantel is that it could make it easier to port between the next gen consoles and pc ;)

also a boost to the future Linux gaming platform since the work has already been done  (no need to port games over to OpenGL )

So Microsoft, I heard you like the death of DirectX?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Well they probably have but didn't think it was important. It was like the bad stuttering thing on AMD cards, Nvidia didn't say they had anything to solve it until it came out officially that AMD had that problem. I think Nvidia just underappreciated some of the stuff they do and over appreciates other stuff. For example Nidia SHield was overhyped by Nvidia but they didn't say anything about their hardware stuttering fix or this API they have had for years. I guess thats where AMD and Nvidia differ. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Wow. Hang on a sec.

You having things TOTALLY confused.

NvAPI are API set of codes to communicate with the Nvidia Drivers. It can get information or set driver settings, as well as overclocking (that is what MSI AfterBurner, and EVGA Precision uses). THAT IS ALL.

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi

Stuff you can do:

-> Detect or set if multiple display is installed and if ti's set to extended or close.

-> Detect which monitor is connected to which GPU, or connector on the GPU.

-> Turn On/Off SLI, and set the mode it needs to use.

-> Control the SLI bridge light on support bridge.

-> Control the Nvidia logo light on supported cards.

-> Get and set the fan speed, core, sharder, mem clocks speeds of the GPU.

-> Get GPU information

-> Get what the GPU supports or not

-> Is it a mobile GPU or not?

-> Pretty much turn-on/off or change all the options in the Nvidia Control Panel.

and more...

Useful for gaming to execute graphic card fixes or different optimizations code, or if you decided to make a software like MSI AfterBurner or EVGA Precision, or GPU-Z.

The Tweet, refer at Nvidia APIs (not NVAPI), which are set of API cods specif to Nvidia graphic card. They are regrouped in solution that we know:

CUDA, PhysX, NVIDIA Graphics SDK 11, APEX, Cg TololKit, and more.

Basically, Nvidia made it's own set of API codes, kinda like what DirectX or OpenGL is, to get specific card abilities graphical or computation features.

This is nothing new. It's been done since the early days of GPUs.

Yeah I got really confused when I read the OP but it seems like GoodBytes is correct, which makes sense. NVAPI is not like Mantle.

If it was, and Battlefield 3 used it, then we should have seen Nvidia crushing AMD in Battlefield 3 benchmarks, or it would mean DirectX was already very, very optimized and Mantle would barely make any difference performance wise (because it would mean low level API Nvidia was trading blows with DirectX 11/high level API AMD cards).

Also, something to note. We know NOTHING about Mantle.

For all we know, it could simply be CUDA or PhysX style API codes that is just gaming effect orient, not an actual OpenGL or DirectX replacement.

Also when AMD said it's "open", we also know nothing about? Is it open, in the sense that you need fulfill a set of requirement which basically means you need to build an AMD Radeon graphic processor to make it work? If so, it's not very open. It reminds me of a company in the plane simulator industry, that claims that if you buy their plane simulator software they give you the source code, so that you can edit the simulator yourself, and not be depending on them in hiring for custom modifications, and how open they are.

Well it ends up being that all functions are renamed for "f1, f2, f3, f4...etc", all variables are named: "v1, v2, v3, v4, ...etc", all codes are put everything in a single line, and all comments and documentation removed, and ambiguous function are added (function that are there, but never actually used, or codes that does a complex mathematical operation, but spits out the same results as what was inserted) are used, but just to confuse the programmer.

Basically, you can figure it out, but the time, energy and resourceful will cost you more than just hiring the company to make it for you. "Open".

Can't wait :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Well I hope so! Else it would mean that Nvidia own web site is wrong, and that I have been using the wrong thing since ages (http://www.nvgpupro.com/)

and what I use at work :)

last time i read something from wccftech

first it was a 12core 65 wat AMD cpu now this

So even with Nvidia's low level API in BF3, the AMD cards were still faster running DirectX...

This does not bode well for Nvidia.

Please read replies before posting.

I'm sure they had something since the first XBox... consoles always require low level access.  

Mantle is designed to be able to fully replace DX or OpenGL, but not sure if it's possible with Nvidia's API.. or whatever they really call it.

My Rigs (past and present)