X99 Sabertooth 5930k vs Z170 Sabertooth 6700k

So I have been debating my new build for a while, back and forth with the pros and cons of both. Here's where I am currently at and what I want to know is what is some of the opinions of other users:

Current Build:

z87 Sabertooth TUF

i7 3770K overclocked to 4.9ghz at 39 on idle max 70 under heavy load using GTS V8 Cooler Master Cooler

32GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz

Corsair CXM850 Power Supply

HAF-X Case

EVGA 970 SSC 2.0+ clocked at 1314mhz boosts up to 1470mhz

Seagate SSHD Hybrid Drive 1TB with 32GB SSD Cache

Next Build:

Either X99 Sabertooth or Z170 Sabertooth

i7 5930K Haswell-E or i7 6700K Skylake

32 GB Corsair Dominator 3100 mhz (RAM Clock speed I am still debating as the improvements don't seem much for a 200+ price difference)

Corsair RM1200 (might be RX) modular

Genome Full Tower Green and Black Case with built in helix and water cooling block

EVGA GTX 1080 Classified

m.2 SSD 950 PRO 512GB

2TB SSD (unsure of what I am picking at this point)

So here's what I have surmised:

X99 Sabertooth                                                       Z170 Sabertooth

Quad Channel Memory                                           Dual Channel Memory

Extra OC pins on CPU Socket                                 Smaller CPU Architecture allows for less heat and TDP allowing for higher overclock

SATA Express Ports                                                SATA Express Ports? (not sure didn't see any)

Better motherboard cooling with heatsinks             Still uses heatsinks separate from fans for motherboard cooling                     

Processors:

5930K                                                       6700K

More heat and less efficiency                   Highly efficient and less heat

More Cores                                               Better Single Core Functions (for games is better as most games don't utilize multi-core tech yet)

New socket pins allow for better OC          High overclocks but lacking multi core power

Quad Channel Memory is the future         Still using dual channel

Better for strategy games and work          Better for FPS and other games that are less CPU intensive

So the question is this:

I am a straight forward user and enthusiast. I built my computer about 2 years ago (it took about 1 year to build), and have been saving up for this build for a while. My computer has been around the world with me (Africa, Afghanistan, a couple other places) where the AC wasn't great or at time non existent, but still it ran great and everytime I came back to the states I had to disassemble it and give it a good cleaning (Afghani dust smells the worst). I love my Sabertooth boards because they are decent to good at OC and they survive heat, cold, all kinds of issues that would have busted other motherboards. I love the heat shields, thermal armor and TUF armor on the bottom protecting it (on one move it actually saved my board when a crate smashed my old case and the TUF armor kept it from touching the board, after which I promptly switched to a metal tower made by Cooler Master and never again will buy a case with plastic side panels). And I game on my off time and like to crank up the settings, stream my games, write code and do some animation stuff. So compiling is key as well as game playbility. ASUS backs their TUF stuff 5 years and I am giving my old rig to my younger brother because he is about to start college. I hate to build computers that will not be usable 5 years down the road, minus graphics card upgrades. So which one is better? Which one will get more power? Which one should I go with and why do you think so? and lastly do you think Skylake-E will eliminate all the disadvantages of a hexacore processor has in Broadwell-E and is it better to wait for that?

CPU: R7 2700X 8C, 16Th 4.2GHZ @1.40v       MOBO: ASUS X470 TUF Gaming              RAM: 16GB Avexir Raiden DDR4 2666mhz CL15

GPU: XFX Vega 56 Custom (RX-VEGALDFF6) CASE: Cooler Master H500M                     OS: Windows 10 Pro

PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum                  SSD: 512GB PM871a SATA m.2 SSD        HDD: 2TB Seagate SSHD

13 minutes ago, SirTheo60 said:

So I have been debating my new build for a while, back and forth with the pros and cons of both. Here's where I am currently at and what I want to know is what is some of the opinions of other users:

Current Build:

z87 Sabertooth TUF

i7 3770K overclocked to 4.9ghz at 39 on idle max 70 under heavy load using GTS V8 Cooler Master Cooler

32GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz

Corsair CXM850 Power Supply

HAF-X Case

EVGA 970 SSC 2.0+ clocked at 1314mhz boosts up to 1470mhz

Seagate SSHD Hybrid Drive 1TB with 32GB SSD Cache

Next Build:

Either X99 Sabertooth or Z170 Sabertooth

i7 5930K Haswell-E or i7 6700K Skylake

32 GB Corsair Dominator 3100 mhz (RAM Clock speed I am still debating as the improvements don't seem much for a 200+ price difference)

Corsair RM1200 (might be RX) modular

Genome Full Tower Green and Black Case with built in helix and water cooling block

EVGA GTX 1080 Classified

m.2 SSD 950 PRO 512GB

2TB SSD (unsure of what I am picking at this point)

So here's what I have surmised:

X99 Sabertooth                                                       Z170 Sabertooth

Quad Channel Memory                                           Dual Channel Memory

Extra OC pins on CPU Socket                                 Smaller CPU Architecture allows for less heat and TDP allowing for higher overclock

SATA Express Ports                                                SATA Express Ports? (not sure didn't see any)

Better motherboard cooling with heatsinks             Still uses heatsinks separate from fans for motherboard cooling                     

Processors:

5930K                                                       6700K

More heat and less efficiency                   Highly efficient and less heat

More Cores                                               Better Single Core Functions (for games is better as most games don't utilize multi-core tech yet)

New socket pins allow for better OC          High overclocks but lacking multi core power

Quad Channel Memory is the future         Still using dual channel

Better for strategy games and work          Better for FPS and other games that are less CPU intensive

So the question is this:

I am a straight forward user and enthusiast. I built my computer about 2 years ago (it took about 1 year to build), and have been saving up for this build for a while. My computer has been around the world with me (Africa, Afghanistan, a couple other places) where the AC wasn't great or at time non existent, but still it ran great and everytime I came back to the states I had to disassemble it and give it a good cleaning (Afghani dust smells the worst). I love my Sabertooth boards because they are decent to good at OC and they survive heat, cold, all kinds of issues that would have busted other motherboards. I love the heat shields, thermal armor and TUF armor on the bottom protecting it (on one move it actually saved my board when a crate smashed my old case and the TUF armor kept it from touching the board, after which I promptly switched to a metal tower made by Cooler Master and never again will buy a case with plastic side panels). And I game on my off time and like to crank up the settings, stream my games, write code and do some animation stuff. So compiling is key as well as game playbility. ASUS backs their TUF stuff 5 years and I am giving my old rig to my younger brother because he is about to start college. I hate to build computers that will not be usable 5 years down the road, minus graphics card upgrades. So which one is better? Which one will get more power? Which one should I go with and why do you think so? and lastly do you think Skylake-E will eliminate all the disadvantages of a hexacore processor has in Broadwell-E and is it better to wait for that?

Id say go for the 5930K if you have the money , http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5930K since the 5930K is stronger in more core performance and single core performance,since you have a good PSU the more wattage would not be even noticed and the heat is only a couple degrees 

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

3 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Id say go for the 5930K if you have the money , http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5930K since the 5930K is stronger in more core performance and single core performance,since you have a good PSU the more wattage would not be even noticed and the heat is only a couple degrees 

PLease no CPUboss FailFish (yes, I realise I am not on twitch.tv)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Why do you want to go for a 5930k instead of a 5820k. it seems like a waste of money to me.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

2 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Why do you want to go for a 5930k instead of a 5820k. it seems like a waste of money to me.

Then why go for a $300 CPU and a $300 mobo? hes a enthusiast and from them you can always find something interesting xD

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

Then why go for a $300 CPU and a $300 mobo? hes a enthusiast and from them you can always find something interesting xD

The 5930k has 12 more PCIe lanes. is that worth burning much more money. Stop critizising me for the effort to try and save someone money they can use elsewhere, please.
And before you ask: Yes I am open to constructive criticism but that wasn't and do you even know if that is his opinion? You are also just speculating.

3.Use

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

The 5930k has 12 more PCIe lanes. is that worth burning much more money. Stop critizising me for the effort to try and save someone money they can use elsewhere, please.
And before you ask: Yes I am open to constructive criticism but that wasn't and do you even know if that is his opinion? You are also just speculating.

then if he buys the 5820k which is $300 the Sabertooth is also $300,i said clearly if you cant read "

12 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Id say go for the 5930K if you have the money

3 minutes ago, The Realist said:

then if he buys the 5820k which is $300 the Sabertooth is also $300,i said clearly if you cant read "

Well in this case your right and I did not read your psot correct. That doesn't mitigate the fact that these are the pricings for both of those:

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#s=13&sort=a7&page=1&f=70,69,41,42

3.Use

Absolutely. I like the OC headroom honestly. Also a good friend of mine was trying with 3 different 5820ks to break 5ghz. Nope. The first 5830k he popped in withing 1 hr he has stable clock at 5.1 ghz. I really want to break the 5 ghz wall with this one. He swears by it and coming from a guy that built a freon cooled PC case, I'll take his word on it.

CPU: R7 2700X 8C, 16Th 4.2GHZ @1.40v       MOBO: ASUS X470 TUF Gaming              RAM: 16GB Avexir Raiden DDR4 2666mhz CL15

GPU: XFX Vega 56 Custom (RX-VEGALDFF6) CASE: Cooler Master H500M                     OS: Windows 10 Pro

PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum                  SSD: 512GB PM871a SATA m.2 SSD        HDD: 2TB Seagate SSHD

so to be realistic @The Realist ;) why do you agree with my post now when you recommended him to go for a 5930k before. I think you can also see this
Also: I am sorry, I din't want to be mean. I have been commenting for a while now and might just have gotten tired and my nogen fucked up the reading part but reacted perfectly passively agressive afterwards. Sorry, again.

3.Use

Okay so to surmise, We understand its cheaper to go 5920k, but I am enthusiast and money isn't a question here. I DONT want a 5960X. Never liked the X series, too much for something that can be achieved with an OC processor. That being said, he said yes the 5920k is cheaper and better bang for buck, but the the question was 5930k vs 6700k.

1 hour ago, SirTheo60 said:

Okay so to surmise, We understand its cheaper to go 5920k, but I am enthusiast and money isn't a question here. I DONT want a 5960X. Never liked the X series, too much for something that can be achieved with an OC processor. That being said, he said yes the 5920k is cheaper and better bang for buck, but the the question was 5930k vs 6700k.

If you have money go for the 5930K

Your friend's is lucky he got to OC to 5.1GHz, not all 5930K can do that. Get a 6800K or a 6950K.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Your friend got lucky with the 5930K. I would go 5820K. I chose 5820K over 6800K because they generally overclock better (check HWBot averages.)

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

umm.. is it okay to compare like an $800 system to like a $400 one?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Your friend's is lucky he got to OC to 5.1GHz, not all 5930K can do that. Get a 6800K or a 6950K.

the guy running SiloconLottery.com had a 5960X @ 5.0GHz @ 1.3V for himself )))

but yeah... no... that is very unlikely and should absolutely not be considered when buying a new thing

umm... the Broadwells have their own grudge with overclocking, as far as we've seen they generally don't clock as high as Haswells, require more voltage, don't really scale with voltage, and they basically provide no performance advantage at the same clocks.

So unless you're aiming for the 10 core or LN2 benchmarking, then I'd recommend going with the Haswell-E chips, should be also marginally cheaper

plus if you're not doing 4-Way GPU, then I'd stick to 5820K and an appropriate motherboard like MSI that can do PCI-E lane switching

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

16 minutes ago, DXMember said:

the guy running SiloconeLottery.com had a 5960X @ 5.0GHz @ 1.3V for himself )))

but yeah... no... that is very unlikely and should absolutely not be considered when buying a new thing

umm... the Broadwells have their own grudge with overclocking, as far as we've seen they generally don't clock as high as Haswells, require more voltage, don't really scale with voltage, and they basically provide no performance advantage at the same clocks.

So unless you're aiming for the 10 core or LN2 benchmarking, then I'd recommend going with the Haswell-E chips, should be also marginally cheaper

plus if you're not doing 4-Way GPU, then I'd stick to 5820K and an appropriate motherboard like MSI that can do PCI-E lane switching

Yeah, I've heard about bad OC with BD-E, but really haven't pay too much attention on it. Still using my HW-E, and won't be upgrading for a long time. PCIe lane switching?

You mean where the motherboard can assign the number of lanes between the GPU and other components to the board like M.2.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

31 minutes ago, DXMember said:

the guy running SiloconeLottery.com had a 5960X @ 5.0GHz @ 1.3V for himself )))

You're my guy!

3.Use

40 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Yeah, I've heard about bad OC with BD-E, but really haven't pay too much attention on it. Still using my HW-E, and won't be upgrading for a long time. PCIe lane switching?

You mean where the motherboard can assign the number of lanes between the GPU and other components to the board like M.2.

basically yeah, where mobo adjusts dynamically the PCI-E lanes between slots based on how they are populated

plus on an MSI board with a 28-lane CPU you can run 8x/8x/8x SLI/CF + 4x M.2 at full speed

where on the same mobo with a 40-lane CPU you can do 16x/16x/8x SLI/CF and the M.2 has to fall off to PCI-E 2.0 speeds

28 minutes ago, DXMember said:

basically yeah, where mobo adjusts dynamically the PCI-E lanes between slots based on how they are populated

plus on an MSI board with a 28-lane CPU you can run 8x/8x/8x SLI/CF + 4x M.2 at full speed

where on the same mobo with a 40-lane CPU you can do 16x/16x/8x SLI/CF and the M.2 has to fall off to PCI-E 2.0 speeds

It doesn't fall off to PCIe 2.0, it stays at 3.0, but I think it falls down to x2 mode or just disables it. Like the X99 Sabertooth. M.2 will not work when a card is plugged into the 3rd x16 slot, no matter which CPU you use.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It doesn't fall off to PCIe 2.0, it stays at 3.0, but I think it falls down to x2 mode or just disables it. Like the X99 Sabertooth. M.2 will not work when a card is plugged into the 3rd x16 slot, no matter which CPU you use.

yeah... depends from mobo to mobo

MSI is the only one to have X99 boards across all their lineup to have to switching to allow 28-lane CPUs to have 3-way GPU with an M.2 working at full speed and do the intelligent PCI-E lane switching based on the populated slots

if you run 16/16/8  (adds up to 40) for GPUs then you there is no way you can do M.2 at 3.0 speeds - there are no lanes left at least not direct to CPU there aren't...

Again I am going to run a 1080 not dual or trip GPU. So no issue with PCI-E lanes. And I pretty clearly explained why I favor ASUS Sabertooth Boards to any other board in my original post.

That being said I thought the 5930k was Broadwell-E not just plain Broadwell?

30 minutes ago, SirTheo60 said:

Again I am going to run a 1080 not dual or trip GPU. So no issue with PCI-E lanes. And I pretty clearly explained why I favor ASUS Sabertooth Boards to any other board in my original post.

That being said I thought the 5930k was Broadwell-E not just plain Broadwell?

Yeah stay with Asus X99 boards.

Because they are just better then any Msi out there.

Also i see people talk about Msi boards with lane switching?

Uh whut?