Annnd who says nobody supports Windows Mobile?

SansVarnic

I found this while browsing through the Mobile app store on my 950XL in Continuum.

Apparently the United States Postal Service has found it appealing to make and support a current app for WM10.

I do not send many packages through the USPS so I personally don't have much use for it but apparently it is well received by many WM10 users. :)

Interesting.

[click to enlarge picture]

wp_ss_20160627_0001.png

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

on my 950XL

How do you like the phone? Like pros and cons.

@Starrzy

Pros;

• It is awesome. I love it.
  • Biggest like is the Continuum function, I literally can use this phone just like a pc. Plug in the display adapter and I have the near full pc experience literally at my fingertips. :)
  • Windows Hello
  • Camera - 20megapixel
  • Battery is large and removable. 3340mAhr Battery. Quick charge and Qi charging.
  • Type C usb connection.
  • More - see below :)

Cons;

• Not to many to list at this point (on the OS) really at least not worth mentioning off hand.
  • Not cons with phone specifically I can think of that I don't like.
  • There are some minor bugs in the OS but that is to be expected as the OS is still officially in beta.

I am in the previewers fast ring so I get 1-2 updates a week of bug fixes and new features to test. At this time the current build 14372 is very stable, well rendered, smooth, etc... Microsoft is getting ready to push out the anniversary update for the official public release.

You should read the Windows 10 Mobile Testers thread and you can see all my views on the builds so far with the 950XL. I try to post on each build as they come out (when I can).

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Oh that's cool, I could use it when ordering stuff from murica.

1 hour ago, Starrzy said:

The phone is great is you looking for an easy to use device, but if you are outside of Microsoft ecosystem, and not interested in switching, then expect to have a difficult time. You don't have any Google apps. You are lucky enougth to even have Waze, but that version was not updated since Google acquired them. So you no turn by turn voice navigation with it. As for navigation maps, you have to happy with Windows Maps (which is genuinely pretty good. It is not perfect, much like Google Maps, but like Google Maps has its ups and downs, so hopefully the downs don't affect you, but it does a very good job). Apps is still an issue, and always will be. But unlike before, you have Windows 10 to support it, so most apps on Windows 10, as Universal Apps, will run on Windows Mobile 10.

Personally, this is what I think the phone needs to be really great:

• Continuum should support windows mode, like normal desktop environment, and not 1 full screen app at a time. Now, if you use it, you quickly see why it is like this now, the phone CPU, despite being fancy, isn't. Maybe if Microsoft can do some deeper optimization, or more possible with Snapdragon 820.
  • On Phablets, you should be able to have 2 apps running at the same time, like Android N that is coming up.
  • Double tap to wake. Microsoft brought the features to Windows Phone 8 device that used to have it. But for some reason doesn't want to add it to all phones, not even the 950 / 950 XL, which I just don't get.
  • Android Auto / Apple car play support.
  • Better car Bluetooth support. It works, but the experience, depending on your car, brand new or old, but have issues. This is probably a combination of low users of the device, and manufactures not testing their system for Windows 10 Mobile device due to low market share. For me, all works, but turn-by-turn voice navigation is passed through as automatically answered phone calls by my car (and hangs up). Works fine, but not the best experience possible. And that is just the reality of things.
  • Wallet should support more regions... but I don't think any banks are any hurry, let alone care, about tap to pay. Microsoft is clearly trying to get banks for support. But obviously they are focusing on its core markets. So right now: US only. Don't expect anything in Canada, and other countries where you might be the only person with the device. But if you are in the U.S, great!

So far, that is all that comes to mind.

Personally, I would wait for the Surface phone. Although, Microsoft saying that they are focusing on enterprise, and not consumers, will probably mean that they bin the wonderful, still to this day one of the best camera on a smartphone (I think it is the best, but that again, you are comparing very close cameras, and they have ups and downs on each of them, and personal preference), for a shitty dollar shop camera sensor, as cameras will probably be seen as "consumer feature", despite being a massive selling point for phone.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Double tap to wake. Microsoft brought the features to Windows Phone 8 device that used to have it. But for some reason doesn't want to add it to all phones, not even the 950 / 950 XL, which I just don't get.

This so much. I bought a Lumia 950 roughly last month, and I really wonder why it doesn't have double tap to wake.

3 hours ago, Starrzy said:

I came from a Nokia N9, which I miss some features from, like Double Tap to wake and being able to customize the glance display. I was on the fence of getting a android phone, but I figured I would for the phone before the Nokia blood dries up (Yeah, I'm a Nokia fan) as they transition to the surface line. The major thing I like though is that skype is inbuilt into the native messaging app as Skype on Android eats the battery pretty bad from what I've heard from my friends. I like being able to just place my phone on a wireless charging mat and have it charge. You can also buy Sharefolder Explorer and have it connect to a NAS, which I use to upload my Canon camera photos to Instagram from Lightroom on the NAS.

My dad has the Nexus 5X and honestly, they are almost identical in size.

I wish Facebook would make the messenger and Facebook app into a single app though...

Here maps is alright, but they really need to work on GPU accelerated scrolling...or make it smoother. Even with offline maps, it's quick a bit jerky compared to google maps.

The camera takes quite a lot of time to process HDR...It takes quite a bit of time before you can even pinch to zoom on the photo you just took as it's busy processing. That can get to be a drag, especially when you just want to delete the photo right away.

Other con is the rear facing speaker, if you like to play using the phone speakers.

Finally, if you want to, you can replace the entire rear cover with a different one from http://mozoaccessories.com/ instead of getting a case. I plan to buy the Black leather with Silver trim back when I can.